Just drove back from the game - Live Impressions, still worried

Virgil

Made the 7 hour drive home and had plenty of time to think about what I saw.

Here is the one biggest take away, and the reason I am happy to have gone. WE HAVE A TALENTED TEAM. A lot of guys out there were consistently winning their match-ups and I saw plenty from this team to be inspired. However, I also saw enough glimpses from some areas that make me worry that we are going to waste it.

Negatives

~ Fitz looked lost on his throws. I'm not sure what they showed on TV, but he had Chandler wide open at least twice and Stevie was getting visibly frustrated being missed. On the drives where we committed to the run, we moved the chains. When we tried to let Fitz sling it, we punted. There is a part of me that thinks Fitz is afraid of the defensive pressure that isn't coming. He got so used to having to throw it quick, that he doesn't know how to take his time. Either way, his throws were off, he was missing people, and he was jumpy in the pocket. (One side not, after watching the 49ers game, I really think that Alex Smith is exactly the qb we need. With our run game and D getting better, Alex would be a perfect game manager for us. We don't need a 300 yard passer. We need someone to manage the game, delivery a good play action, and let the team help him

~ Defensive pressure. I know this is going to sound strange considering we held them to 3 points through 3 quarters, but hear me out. We almost never sent more than the front 4. Also, I was surprised to see the amount of time Kelsay was in over Mario. But that's besides the point. When we sent our 4, the Chief's O-Line had more than they could handle. If we sent just ONE more guy, Cassel would have been running for himself. And on the few times we did, that's exactly what happened. Yes, these guys did good and did get pressure from time to time. But I'm starting to feel that these base formations and vanilla fronts I'm hearing about Wanny are true. I'm inspired by the talent we have, but we need to send at least one more guy. Let our DB's cover. They looked good too.

~ Chan play calling. Again, we were up 35-3, I get it. However, there were a few drives where Chan forgot what was working for him. The running game was on fire and the wildcat looked pretty good. Yet, there are those drives with three straight passes. I just don't get it. Is he trying to make Fitz happy? Is he trying to prove himself an offensive genius? Against another team, and like we saw last week against the Jets, I'm terrified that this is going to kill us

~ WR's looked bored. TJ was out there but who cared? Fitz looked bored. Would have loved to see what they would have done if the ball would have made it into their hands like Stevie.

Positives - Everyone but Fitz.

Spiller - WOW! I was almost upset the game was out of hand because I wanted him to keep getting the ball. How high is high for him

O-Line - Just great job with the run and pass. Seriously, great job. Glenn is much bigger in person

D-Line - Dominated the front 5. I feel like these guys are only going to get better. If we ever sent in a 5th, they'd have a direct path

LB's - Moats had a definite presence amongst the players. Barnett just plays

Overall, while the talent level was inspiring as I've seen in a long time. I'm afraid that our coaching and QB's will kill us. Honestly, if we had a Harbaugh as our coach, let alone a more conservative offensive coach and aggressive defensive coach, the sky would be the limit. You give me a top 10 coach, a Dilfer at QB, we are in the playoffs. However, those 3 misses put us at 8-8

~ Chan play calling. Again, we were up 35-3, I get it. However, there were a few drives where Chan forgot what was working for him. The running game was on fire and the wildcat looked pretty good. Yet, there are those drives with three straight passes. I just don't get it. Is he trying to make Fitz happy? Is he trying to prove himself an offensive genius? Against another team, and like we saw last week against the Jets, I'm terrified that this is going to kill us

I'm loathe to reply to a silly thread like this that already has a place in multiple other threads, but for some reason you felt needed its own thread. It should be staring you int he face, sometimes when you're up 35-3, it's a good time to put something on film that other teams have to look at and gives you a chance to see its execution in a setting that is real and live.

I'm loathe to reply to a silly thread like this that already has a place in multiple other threads, but for some reason you felt needed its own thread. It should be staring you int he face, sometimes when you're up 35-3, it's a good time to put something on film that other teams have to look at and gives you a chance to see its execution in a setting that is real and live.

This^

You know its interesting how the smart posters here got what Derek was doing.....while the hapless fools do not......

Derek used the fact that he went to the game (if he actually did....you could have seen all this from your home TV) and found a way to interject his own opinions into it like in some way seeing the game live gives some sort of credibility to the opinions.......this is a public forum so he is entitled to do this.

- Fitz WAS shaky today on some downs....guess who leads the NFL is TD's right now.....guess who has the 5th highest passer rating right now? That means that several QB's....not just Fitz...are having shaky starts to their seasons.

- There are pros and cons to "sending the extra guy".....yes you get better pressure.....you ALSO leave a weakness in your defense somewhere else every time you do it.....this team needs to learn how to play with just down linemen pressure for the games like with the Pats where blitzing kills you.....they were much better then week 1.....they got sacks...they got turnovers....and most of all...they FORCED PUNTS

- I am not a huge fan of this because I think sometimes you just gotta keep doing it until they FORCE you to stop it.....but Chan was probably seeing extra men in the box on those plays where they through the ball....and you back them out of that by throwing it....that is a FACT. Now if I were coach (and I am not) I would have made this game extremely boring and ran the ball a lot more then we did....for the simple fact that they were not stopping it.....not Spiller NOR Choice. Both were having success.

Im sorry Ryan.....I know how you like to bag on Fitzpatrick....but for better or worse this is our QB for this year.

Really?? Your going to blast someone who is giving their opinion on a recap of the game they saw Live??? He covered a multitude of issues, so what. You guys come off as Nazi's. BTW I agree on the comment about the Blitzing situation.

Exactly beware the wrath of Jeremy...the poor guy drove seven hours and wants to give his opinion of the game.....no reason for u to poop in his Cheerios .. Derek I appreciate your insight and feel you covered every topic well the Fitz comments do scare me....but whatchagondo. Good post my man

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Made the 7 hour drive home and had plenty of time to think about what I saw.

~ Fitz looked lost on his throws. I'm not sure what they showed on TV, but he had Chandler wide open at least twice and Stevie was getting visibly frustrated being missed. On the drives where we committed to the run, we moved the chains. When we tried to let Fitz sling it, we punted. There is a part of me that thinks Fitz is afraid of the defensive pressure that isn't coming. He got so used to having to throw it quick, that he doesn't know how to take his time. Either way, his throws were off, he was missing people, and he was jumpy in the pocket. (One side not, after watching the 49ers game, I really think that Alex Smith is exactly the qb we need. With our run game and D getting better, Alex would be a perfect game manager for us. We don't need a 300 yard passer. We need someone to manage the game, delivery a good play action, and let the team help him

1) in case you haven't been watching, the sort of game Fitz had today is exactly what Harbaugh designed for Smith, that enabled Smith to settle down, reduce his INTs by more than half, and succeed.

Smith last year was still overall a mediocre passer - he's improved to around 61%.

2) I wasn't at the game. Going through the play-by-play, though, there are 2 passes listed as "drops" which typically means the ball hit the receiver's hands, 2 passes listed as "breakups" which usually means the ball is considered catchable, and 1 listed as "tipped at line". There were 10 incompletions, which would seem to indicate 5 errant passes, max. As fans, we don't know the story on those. Was the receiver where he was supposed to be? Was Fitz reading the play the same way?

3) I did see parts of the game, and in what I saw, Fitz was able to successfully do what he was asked to do under this game plan - manage the game, and make a few key throws when it counted. He made no mistakes - no fumbles, no INTs. Given that....

Positives - Everyone but Fitz.

.,....this seems a little harsh to me. It seems people here just can't be happy with our QB situation until and unless a clone of Manning, Brees, Rodgers, or Brady step on the field

Anyway, I was lovin' the game plan. Now future coaches have some doubt: do they prepare for smash-mouth Bills, or pass-happy Bills?

I went to the game also. REasonable summary above with a few differences of view. Cordy Glenn was an incredible #2 pick, and seeing him as LT 20 yards downfield leading the way into the end zone is a big deal....been a long time since we had a LT doing that! Not upset about trying other things than running Spiller more......need to get the passing game going, its only so so at best right now. And, we need to save Spiller for another day. Choise did OK also, but he is not FREDEX as the change out back. D was good, but the young CB's were beaten again, and made a number of mental mistakes. Gilmore gets a 12th man on the field penality as he stands there having just retied his shoe...he needed to get off. Williams (Aaron) got beat again a few times. Bowe got 12 catches, that shows a problem area. Crennel was not agressive...we were lucky there. This was a good recovery game to get back to where they are. But, a lot further to go, not sayin they won't do that. And, Fitz was a little erratic, but can still play the game!!! What a great run in the first half!!!! and, finally, responding above...Dilfer did not have a great passing arm/skill either. Fitz IS like Dilfer.....

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 12th man call. Did that bother you. The back judge was standing there with him the whole time he was putting it back on. Didn't tell the other officials or anything.

Maybe I'm wrong around how that is supposed to be handled, but I feel like Gilmore got hosed on that one