Stadium 75% empty with 5 minutes left to play

Beebes Bubble

I had season tickets the last 3 years but now im making 4 dollars an hour as an intern living on the other side of NY. I almost cried when I had to give up my seasons and I never once left early no matter how bad they played. Thats how i approached every game as a fan. I love being there. I had 7 sundays a year when I was in the best place on earth in my eyes cheering on the team i spend hours and countless dollars supporting. Sorry if im ok with sitting in Traffic after a game to enjoy that brief 3 and half hours 7 times a year

im the same way when i can attend games. people get REALLY defensive when you ask them about why they leave though. immediately it jumps to "how dare you question if im a fan"

for all the bad games, im surprised more people didnt want to revel in the victory kneel.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The only organized traffic I seen is down here in florida in Miami they basically close off the loop and force people out towards main roads no two way traffic and people trying to make left hand turns in to traffic...I remember in buffalo all the mess with parking, the balance is findng a good spot to setup with your buddies but not to far that when the lot starts to unload your stuck in a game of bumper cars

Are you really surprised? It happens every where in every major sport. When the game is decided and people have the chance to get a jump on the hurrendous traffic they go for it. Myself, I left one game with a couple minutes left years ago, not just because I thought the Bills were going to lose, but also because I was freezing my ass and every other part of my body off. Well, shortly after I left the stadium about 100 people were around one guy in the parking lot with a small hand held transistor radio listening to Roland Hooks catch a Hail Mary for the Bills win. Needless to say I never have left a game early since, but to each his/her own, alot of people leave when the game is in the books.

That was the NE game I was trying to think of when I read this thread. I was there and stayed, I was in a top row seat [ on the corner where the TD was scored] and could see the people outside reacting to the PA announcement "touchdown Buffalo." I yelled down "they won" Great game.

That was the NE game I was trying to think of when I read this thread. I was there and stayed, I was in a top row seat [ on the corner where the TD was scored] and could see the people outside reacting to the PA announcement "touchdown Buffalo." I yelled down "they won" Great game.

Exactly the Steve Grogan era Pats.

Some people would never leave early no matter what. Its a sense of pride for them and they think fans that dont stay until the end of every game are less passionate than they are. Sometimes that might be true, but other times it certainly is not. What I don't understand is why the fans who always stay have to primp their feathers and call out other fans who do not.

I happen to be a fan that likes to stay.. but to each his own I say.

I forget what game it was, it was in the 70's and I think it was a Monday night game (Raiders?). We had never left early before but finally did due to it looking hopeless. Of course, as we were getting in the car, the Bills made a miraculous comeback and won. We NEVER, ever left another game early again.. just out of principle if nothing else (My Dad still bitches about it).

My family has had season tickets since the Bills inception... and still does. I have moved out of the area and am just too lazy (and busy) to travel to games so I watch them on DirecTV. I would like to, after seeing how so many fans make long trips to see the games... salute them!!

Some people would never leave early no matter what. Its a sense of pride for them and they think fans that dont stay until the end of every game are less passionate than they are. Sometimes that might be true, but other times it certainly is not. What I don't understand is why the fans who always stay have to primp their feathers and call out other fans who do not.

I happen to be a fan that likes to stay.. but to each his own I say.

sometimes its a bit bizarre. ive been in stadiums where the game wasnt even decided and it had emptied out. whenever i question something like this it tends to be "wait, i dont get where everyone went" not a "hey look at me, im better than you"

i assume Capt is in a similar thought process.

Edited by NoSaint

I will never understand the wild rush to beat traffic, seems to me this is the best time to party and wait for the crowd to clear.

Everyone has their reasons and their schedules. No worry.

We stayed to the end. I do not mind it some left early. Grabbed one beer and some food with the plane on visiting at the tailgate, The 219 was STILL bottle necked even though we left Hammers at around 6:00.

I am wondering what that guy who was arrested & hand cuffed near on Abbott Rd by the camper exit Hammer's did.

I forget what game it was, it was in the 70's and I think it was a Monday night game (Raiders?). We had never left early before but finally did due to it looking hopeless. Of course, as we were getting in the car, the Bills made a miraculous comeback and won. We NEVER, ever left another game early again.. just out of principle if nothing else (My Dad still bitches about it).

My family has had season tickets since the Bills inception... and still does. I have moved out of the area and am just too lazy (and busy) to travel to games so I watch them on DirecTV. I would like to, after seeing how so many fans make long trips to see the games... salute them!!

One Sunday night game, in the 80's

Raiders 24, Buffalo 14

Ten minutes left

Buffalo won 38 - 24 !

We stayed to the end. I do not mind it some left early. Grabbed one beer and some food with the plane on visiting at the tailgate, The 219 was STILL bottle necked even though we left Hammers at around 6:00.

I am wondering what that guy who was arrested & hand cuffed near on Abbott Rd by the camper exit Hammer's did.

Raiders 24, Buffalo 14

Ten minutes left

Buffalo won 38 - 24 !

Thanks Rockpile... You must have retained more brain cells than I have!

Raiders 24, Buffalo 14

Ten minutes left

Buffalo won 38 - 24 !

Actually Rockpile... I think my old, tired memory was thinking of this game:

The Buffalo Bills opened the 1974 season with, what ABC Sports producer Roone Arledge dubbed “Mother Love’s Travelling Freak Show”. Monday Night Football came to town with a date with John Madden’s Oakland Raiders- a team that owned the night during the 1970’s.

Showing the balance that Saban was striving for, OJ Simpson (12 carries-76 yds) and FB Jim Braxton (19 –68) shared the load in the backfield. QB Joe Ferguson opened the scoring with a 4 yard pass to JD Hill in the 2nd quarter. Oakland then scored 13 unanswered points, on the strength of 2 George Blanda FG’s and a 15 yard run by Raider HB Clarence Davis.

Heading deep into the 4th quarter, the game was a tight to the vest defensive battle, with both clubs moving the ball well on the ground. With 1:56 remaining in the game, Ferguson capped of a late drive as he found WR Ahmad Rashad in the End Zone for an 8 yard TD pass. With a 14-13 lead, the Bills looked like they sealed the victory by forcing a Raider turnover deep in Oakland territory.

Disaster struck the Bills, when Jim Braxton coughed up the ball trying to kill the clock. Raider Safety Skip Thomas scooped up the loose ball and streaked 29 yards into the end zone with 1:15 remaining, giving Oakland a 20-14 advantage. The game rested in the hands of second year QB Joe Ferguson, who only had 4 TD passes in his entire rookie year, but had two on the night so far. Ferguson moved the club down the field quickly, as he hit Ahmad Rashad for the second time in 90 seconds- with a 33 yard TD strike. With a 21-20 lead, the Raiders still had life. An architect of many comebacks, Raider QB Ken Stabler moved the Raiders to the Buffalo 33. George Blanda’s 50 yard kick to win missed, and the Bills took their opener in wild style, Buffalo 21 Oakland 20

Great win today! Very good play all around except for Fitz. This isn't a topic about the players, though.

I was a bit shocked with the stadium being *so* empty with 5 minutes left to play, though. With a much needed win after last weeks putrid performance, I was hoping a LARGE crowd would have stuck around to give our boys a huge round of applause. The stadium sounded loud for much of the day, but a cheering, standing ovation at the end would have been a great way to close the game out.

I realize people want to try and beat the crowd, but it has to be weird from the players perspective to have the stadium almost cleared out after playing a dominating game with so much time left on the clock. Sure, sitting through garbage time isn't nearly as exciting as a close game, which I am sure more people would have stuck around for. But, wouldn't you rather see a dominating performance like today, than a squeaker the team may not be able win in the end? So, why leave after they do a great job and tear their opponent apart?

Yes, the players get paid to play this game. It's their job to go out there, regardless of the crowd size. But, if they look up after a win and see a full stadium and hear the crowd roar, they remember that. That memory could end up being enough for individuals to reach down deeper when a game is on the line and come up with a herculean effort to get back to that feeling. Every little bit counts.

Go Bills!

Fitz was #4 in Total QBR. Not bad.