WGR App Question

Bills Brethren:

I posted this question at the tail end of the latest WGR thread, but did not want it to be buried. I actually have a technical problem with WGR550 and would be grateful for advice. Last season I had no problem listening to games using the 97Rock iPhone app, but last Sunday I could never get the GR app to connect. It kept buffering but never connected. I suspect that the app may not be up to all the traffic that comes on game day. Have others had this problem? Any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Bills Brethren:

I posted this question at the tail end of the latest WGR thread, but did not want it to be buried. I actually have a technical problem with WGR550 and would be grateful for advice. Last season I had no problem listening to games using the 97Rock iPhone app, but last Sunday I could never get the GR app to connect. It kept buffering but never connected. I suspect that the app may not be up to all the traffic that comes on game day. Have others had this problem? Any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

WGR is not allowed to stream from the start of the first game on Sunday until the end of the last game on Sunday. It's got something to do with NFL rules but there was nothing wrong with your app, they were just offline.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

WGR is not allowed to stream from the start of the first game on Sunday until the end of the last game on Sunday. It's got something to do with NFL rules but there was nothing wrong with your app, they were just offline.

Thanks Mike, I wondered if that were the case. Interestingly, 97Rock did not have that problem, as I listened to games every week on their app last season. Odd that the flagship station would not be able to do that any more.

Guys, I've posted this elsewhere, but nobody seems to listen. Download the "official" Buffalo Bills app. There is a link for WGR, and it was active for the game last week. The radio feed plays from within the Bills app.

Guys, I've posted this elsewhere, but nobody seems to listen. Download the "official" Buffalo Bills app. There is a link for WGR, and it was active for the game last week. The radio feed plays from within the Bills app.

Are you saying the carry the actual game? I use the app and WGR was silent from 4:15 till almost midnight.

Of note, you can pick up the post game show on the Rochester station.

Thank you, eball. I did not see your earlier post, but am delighted that my question elicited this response!

Thanks Mike, I wondered if that were the case. Interestingly, 97Rock did not have that problem, as I listened to games every week on their app last season. Odd that the flagship station would not be able to do that any more.

The NFL wants you to pay for their Audio Pass service.

PTR

I don't think this is true. The WRG app was off last last week for much more than just the game so I think it was a glitch and I read somewhere that you CAN get the streaming audio of the games this year and I DID get the streaming audio of this weeks game and post game show on my WRG app.

I don't think this is true. The WRG app was off last last week for much more than just the game so I think it was a glitch and I read somewhere that you CAN get the streaming audio of the games this year and I DID get the streaming audio of this weeks game and post game show on my WRG app.

Thanks vince. To follow up on my original post, I still had problems with the WGR app yesterday even when I tried to access it through the official Bills app. I wonder whether you are right, vince, that the problem is more the weakness of the app (can't handle the traffic, perhaps?) than NFL policy. I do know that 97 Rock's app never failed me last season, so either the NFL has gotten tougher or WGR has tech problems, or both.

Be that as it may, I was able to get a rochester station through Tunein. The problem, though, was that the rochester feed in question fell at least two series behind actual play, and the station (I guess it is the station itself, not the feed) would cut in with a full bank of commercials in the middle of game play. So it was less like live play-by-play and more like audio highlights, since the Internet told me of big plays long before Murph did. At least it was worth waiting for.

This is all of course a massive improvement over those stone age days in the 1990s when I was a poor grad student in Chicago without cable and had to tune in to ESPN radio an await the occasional score updates by stringers with cell phones....