Smart People, take me to school. Chan vs Fitz

Virgil

I'm trying to figure out why this team is so crap on offense for the past 9 games. While I understand that NFL defenses are smart and they adjust to gameplans, I still feel like there is more to it than this.

For Chan, I feel the general idea is to spread out the field, causing more single coverage match ups, spread the zones, call out defensive plays (blitz/zone/man), and allow the runningbacks to create plays in space. I also believe I've heard that there is a multiple check-down system. At least 2-3 reads per play.

With that, Fitz obviously has to run what is called, but has the option to make audibles based upon what the D shows him. Fitz, being the "smart" guy he is, has reads and options. The entire playbook is open to him at this point, so I feel like the throws and choices within the play are on him.

Lastly, in watching the games this past week, it seems like more and more teams are actually incorporating spread offensive plays into their gameplan.

With that, while it's ultimately on Chan to put the best team out there, call the plays, and bench people underperforming, I feel like the issues on offense are ultimately on Fitz and that any other QB, while maybe the playbook wouldn't be as open and maybe wouldn't move the ball as good when clicking, wouldn't make the same decisions or throws. For last weeks game, yes the D sucked and it probably wouldn't have mattered, but I would have much rather had 3 and outs than those turnovers.

I'm not a Fitz hater or Chan supporter. I'm just a fan who wants to win and understand what is wrong with the offense. I do believe that any defense with this many new starters will take a while to gel.

So, for those of you who really know this stuff, where does the blame land on the field? Is Chan setting Fitz up for failure or is Fitz the problem and Chan needs to get on it?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont claim to be smart but....

It may seem Chan is pass happy. But you have to have a good a great QB for this offense to work. a QB that is 1-9 in his last 10 games one would think hey this isn't working.

Now the defense needs to stop people and it hasn't done so in 2 yrs. But even if the D does its part Fitz is a streaky QB. Plus to me he is a easy QB to defend. Part of the problem is the Bills rarely throw deep. Teams are just squating on those underneath routes. This make Fitz's job even harder because he has to be perfect on those throws.

So I think to sum up Chan is asking to much from Fitz.

Wow, I have not looked at the record like that.

Seriously, how many QB's or Coaches for that matter, keep their jobs with a 1-9 record? I'm not trying to turn this thread into something else. That's just a scary thought

Wow, I have not looked at the record like that.

Seriously, how many QB's or Coaches for that matter, keep their jobs with a 1-9 record? I'm not trying to turn this thread into something else. That's just a scary thought

Sometimes the truth is scary.

And Chans record since getting the job? 10-23.

Edited by Bufcomments

I remember a post a while back that had a link to "Chan's offense" and it showed a lot of the intracacies of how it works. It showed all of the reads the QB and WR had to read and make adjustments on every play, wow that was confusing. Maybe at the pro level it needs to be like this, but to me, based on how often players cant play because they "dont understand" the offense yet or are just not ready, it seems too complex.

TJ Graham wasn't ready last week, all the QB's they bring in just can't get it, Fitz and Stevie don't even see or adjust to the same things alot. SIMPLIFY the freakin offense! The k-gun only had a couple plays with a few variations off of them. I just dont get it!

It may seem Chan is pass happy. But you have to have a good a great QB for this offense to work. a QB that is 1-9 in his last 10 games one would think hey this isn't working.

Now the defense needs to stop people and it hasn't done so in 2 yrs. But even if the D does its part Fitz is a streaky QB. Plus to me he is a easy QB to defend. Part of the problem is the Bills rarely throw deep. Teams are just squating on those underneath routes. This make Fitz's job even harder because he has to be perfect on those throws.

You think his short to intermediate throws look ugly, my lord his deep ball is horrible. I know he used to hit those every once and a while, but what I saw in preseason and Sunday was very discerning. Should have kept Vince Young to come in and throw a few deep balls a game to keep the D honest?

I'm trying to figure out why this team is so crap on offense for the past 9 games. While I understand that NFL defenses are smart and they adjust to gameplans, I still feel like there is more to it than this.

For Chan, I feel the general idea is to spread out the field, causing more single coverage match ups, spread the zones, call out defensive plays (blitz/zone/man), and allow the runningbacks to create plays in space. I also believe I've heard that there is a multiple check-down system. At least 2-3 reads per play.

With that, Fitz obviously has to run what is called, but has the option to make audibles based upon what the D shows him. Fitz, being the "smart" guy he is, has reads and options. The entire playbook is open to him at this point, so I feel like the throws and choices within the play are on him.

Lastly, in watching the games this past week, it seems like more and more teams are actually incorporating spread offensive plays into their gameplan.

With that, while it's ultimately on Chan to put the best team out there, call the plays, and bench people underperforming, I feel like the issues on offense are ultimately on Fitz and that any other QB, while maybe the playbook wouldn't be as open and maybe wouldn't move the ball as good when clicking, wouldn't make the same decisions or throws. For last weeks game, yes the D sucked and it probably wouldn't have mattered, but I would have much rather had 3 and outs than those turnovers.

I'm not a Fitz hater or Chan supporter. I'm just a fan who wants to win and understand what is wrong with the offense. I do believe that any defense with this many new starters will take a while to gel.

So, for those of you who really know this stuff, where does the blame land on the field? Is Chan setting Fitz up for failure or is Fitz the problem and Chan needs to get on it?

I don't claim to be smart, but it doesn't take a genius to see what current problems plague the Bills offense.

First off, top teams have more then one top WR. the Bills have one player ranked #19 in yards last year. The next best was David Nelson ranked # 60.

To put it in proper perspective the NE Patriots had one of the worst defenses last season but their offense was so potent it didn't matter.The Patriots had Wes Welker who had 122 receptions(next best was Roddy White at 100 receptions) TE Rob Gronkowski at 90 receptions and ranked #6 in yards. TE Aaron Hernandez 79 receptions ranked #31 in yards. WR Dion Branch #57 in yards. Thats 122-90-76 for the Patriots. Stevie Johnson only had 76

So while the Bills had one guy ranked 19th in yards & 18th in receptions the Patriots had 2 guys better then SJ and 4 players better then the Bills 2nd best WR.

So yea, as one poster put it Chan Gailey is pass happy with a journeyman QB who should be just trying to manage a game rather then try to out throw Tom Brady in 4-5 WR sets. Plus, Gailey has only one good WR while constantly running 4-5 WR sets. Gailey passes to setup the run, which he should be doing the opposite because his best offensive weapon is Fred Jackson.

The Bills with Jim Kelly back in the day used the same spread offense only they ran to setup the pass. Most years the Bills were a very balanced offensive attack and actually ran the ball more then they threw it.

The Bills passing scheme is also very limited due to Fitz's O line and protections. Fitz mostly only throws 3 step drop pass plays because Chan Gailey has setup a quick / short passing scheme to keep pressure off Fitz. Plus Fitz has had an uncanny ability to find the open receiver and get him the ball in under 3 seconds, usually around 2 seconds.

Then you need to take into consideration that the Bills have one of the worst defense's in the NFL, the Bills were always playing from behind the last half of last season, and Fitz almost always was trying to play catchup while throwing into nickel, and dime defensive coverages. Basically throwing into the teeth of the defense all game long. It put the QB in untenable situations game after game.

Just my 2 cents

I also don't claim to be smart but these stats speak for themselves:

Fitz 18/32 195yd 3TD

Spiller 14 carries 169yds 1TD

I know he did break off 2 monster runs to inflate the total yards but why would you not keep going to that when he was averaging 12.1 ypc?

My point being that I do think he is pass happy.

Edited by The Wiz

I put a lot more of the blame on Chan than I do on Fitz. Great coaches tailor their schemes to fit the players. As much as it pains me to admit, that’s what makes Bill Belicheat one of the best. He’s constantly designing schemes to put the players he has in the best position to succeed. Based on what I’ve seen the past few years, Chan seems to be saying, here’s the offense we’re running…learn it.

Let Fitz be more of a game manager rather than having him throw as much. Run the ball Chan!!!!!

I put a lot more of the blame on Chan than I do on Fitz. Great coaches tailor their schemes to fit the players. As much as it pains me to admit, that’s what makes Bill Belicheat one of the best. He’s constantly designing schemes to put the players he has in the best position to succeed. Based on what I’ve seen the past few years, Chan seems to be saying, here’s the offense we’re running…learn it.

Let Fitz be more of a game manager rather than having him throw as much. Run the ball Chan!!!!!

This is true. Part of being a 'good' coach is being able to honestly evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your players and develop a gameplan that plays to their strengths and that attempts to avoid or hide their weaknesses. So I agree the lack of production and the amount of errors have a lot to do with Gailiey's seeming unwillingness to adjust the offensive approach, that worked during the 1st half of last season, but isn't working now.

My biggest frustration is the almost stuborn lack of resolve to run the ball more often when it seems to be working pretty well. Last week coming out at halftime the Bills executed a couple good running plays and then Fitz threw the gift pick 6 and it was game over. When your QB (and maybe your receivers) is making mistakes and the running game is going well then you run the ball until the defense makes adjustments and a commitment to stop it. Which might open up other opportunities to call some effective play action.

I don't claim to be smart, but it doesn't take a genius to see what current problems plague the Bills offense.

First off, top teams have more then one top WR. the Bills have one player ranked #19 in yards last year. The next best was David Nelson ranked # 60.

To put it in proper perspective the NE Patriots had one of the worst defenses last season but their offense was so potent it didn't matter.The Patriots had Wes Welker who had 122 receptions(next best was Roddy White at 100 receptions) TE Rob Gronkowski at 90 receptions and ranked #6 in yards. TE Aaron Hernandez 79 receptions ranked #31 in yards. WR Dion Branch #57 in yards. Thats 122-90-76 for the Patriots. Stevie Johnson only had 76

So while the Bills had one guy ranked 19th in yards & 18th in receptions the Patriots had 2 guys better then SJ and 4 players better then the Bills 2nd best WR.

So yea, as one poster put it Chan Gailey is pass happy with a journeyman QB who should be just trying to manage a game rather then try to out throw Tom Brady in 4-5 WR sets. Plus, Gailey has only one good WR while constantly running 4-5 WR sets. Gailey passes to setup the run, which he should be doing the opposite because his best offensive weapon is Fred Jackson.

The Bills with Jim Kelly back in the day used the same spread offense only they ran to setup the pass. Most years the Bills were a very balanced offensive attack and actually ran the ball more then they threw it.

The Bills passing scheme is also very limited due to Fitz's O line and protections. Fitz mostly only throws 3 step drop pass plays because Chan Gailey has setup a quick / short passing scheme to keep pressure off Fitz. Plus Fitz has had an uncanny ability to find the open receiver and get him the ball in under 3 seconds, usually around 2 seconds.

Then you need to take into consideration that the Bills have one of the worst defense's in the NFL, the Bills were always playing from behind the last half of last season, and Fitz almost always was trying to play catchup while throwing into nickel, and dime defensive coverages. Basically throwing into the teeth of the defense all game long. It put the QB in untenable situations game after game.

Just my 2 cents

9 Teams from last year with records better than 10-6:

Green Bay

New England

New Orleans

San Fran

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Atlanta

Detroit

Houston

You dont need WRs to win in the NFL. You have to cater your system to your players. If you dont have a Franchise QB, you need to play good defense and play conservatively on offense.

Just to start, by me answering this I am not considering myself one of the Smart People. I think one of the problems with the offense, is it is a pass happy offense and we don't have the talent to run it. Our QB makes way too many mistakes and doesn't have the arm to run the offense and we only have one really NFL caliber receiver right now, when you need 3 or 4 to effectively run this offense. As far as is it Chan or Fitz, at this point I don't think it matters, they are joined at the hip and are probably going to go down together. Chan has hitched all his wagons to Fitz being the QB, and because of that it will eventually cost him his job.

Just my 2 cents

The whole pass to setup the run boggles my mind in this offense - at least how it is currently performing.

Other teams do not respect the Bills passing game and Fitz's arm. They are comfortable playing single coverage on our receivers and still keeping enough guys in the box to be pretty effective against the run or use those same guys to disguise some shallow zone coverage to take away the throws he likes to make underneath with certain formations or WR packages. There is also the ever growing evidence that Fitz is unable to stretch the field vertically with passes down field which lets defenses only focus on defending the fist 20 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Also the Bills may have to do something to disguise their deep routes better. The only shot well down field that I saw Fitz make had the receiver bracketed by two DBs and our WR had to knock the ball out of the Jets hands. It probably was a shift in defensive philosophy by the Jets with us so far down, but Chan should figure out a better way to get at least one deep route singled up if we have to go to pass only mode as Chan has done several times over the past season and in this last game.

9 Teams from last year with records better than 10-6:

Green Bay

New England

New Orleans

San Fran

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Atlanta

Detroit

Houston

You dont need WRs to win in the NFL. You have to cater your system to your players. If you dont have a Franchise QB, you need to play good defense and play conservatively on offense.

That last bolded part of your statement is complete hogwash

The Falcons paid dearly in the draft to trade up and obtain Julio Jones, even tho they already had a top 10 WR in Roddy White and its just starting to pay off big time. Not only do the have Jones but they have future HoFer Tony Gonzalaz at TE, #8 overall WR Roddy White. They just might make the SB with that potent passing game. Also notice Michael Turner is not their dominate player anymore.

Detroit has megatron who was THE best WR in the NFL last year, 96 rec, 1681 yards. plus TE Tony Scheffler, and TE Brandon Pettigrew, WR, Nate Burlson The Lions problem is they lack the RB, 2nd top WR and defense to get to the SB

The Ravens traded to get Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans, even tho they have had a dominate run game, and defense for years. Now they have WR Torrey Smith with a potent passing game now. They might actually get to the SB

Houston has WR Andre Johnson,usually a top 10 WR who was injured most of last year, plus TE Owen Daniels . The Texans made it to the playoffs with a dominate running game and great defense with Foster #5 and Ben Tate at #19. not to mention the #2 defense. The Texans need another top WR to reach the SB.

San Fran signed Randy Moss AND Mario Manningham this off season to go along with their dominate defense and run game.

The Buffalo Bills would go a long way by looking at those teams you highlighted and try and copy how they win, because you are correct that they don't have a franchise QB yet. A great defense and running game are only part of the puzzle. the teams that actually get to the SB and win it have more then one top receiver. You know, the teams on your list you didn't highlight that have recently won the SB

You've tried to make this argument before, so I'll just post the response I made to it last time:

It's got waaaaay more to do with the QB than the WRs.

Case-in-point: Tom Brady won superbowls throwing to the likes of Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, David Givens, Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, David Patten, Deion Branch, etc. He's never won one throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez, despite how much better these players are.

Look at the best teams, and you see that they have the best QBs...year in and year out.

That simple.

The whole pass to setup the run boggles my mind in this offense - at least how it is currently performing.

Other teams do not respect the Bills passing game and Fitz's arm. They are comfortable playing single coverage on our receivers and still keeping enough guys in the box to be pretty effective against the run or use those same guys to disguise some shallow zone coverage to take away the throws he likes to make underneath with certain formations or WR packages. There is also the ever growing evidence that Fitz is unable to stretch the field vertically with passes down field which lets defenses only focus on defending the fist 20 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Also the Bills may have to do something to disguise their deep routes better. The only shot well down field that I saw Fitz make had the receiver bracketed by two DBs and our WR had to knock the ball out of the Jets hands. It probably was a shift in defensive philosophy by the Jets with us so far down, but Chan should figure out a better way to get at least one deep route singled up if we have to go to pass only mode as Chan has done several times over the past season and in this last game.

Once the Bills traded away Lee Evans they lost their deep speed threat that was capable of pulling some coverage away from Stevie, and stretched the opposing secondary. Now they don't have that threat and teams didn't need to fear the deep ball at all.

My take is other teams realize they really only need to double cover Stevie Johnson because no other Bills receiver is a threat. So all those 4-5 WR sets Gailey runs while trying to fool the opposing defense is only putting 4 non play makers on the field. Those 4 usually don't get separation, don't get open and are only decoys for the guy who is really going to get the ball most of the time.

The spread offense helps the running game by spreading the field, and spreads out the DB's so they can't stack the box. You don't need 4-5 WRs tho, you can run it with 3.

JMO but Chan should stop with all the 4-5 sets and just stay with 3, then run the ball a whole lot more out of that spread. The less Fitz throws the better chances the Bills have in winning

That last bolded part of your statement is complete hogwash

The Falcons paid dearly in the draft to trade up and obtain Julio Jones, even tho they already had a top 10 WR in Roddy White and its just starting to pay off big time. Not only do the have Jones but they have future HoFer Tony Gonzalaz at TE, #8 overall WR Roddy White. They just might make the SB with that potent passing game. Also notice Michael Turner is not their dominate player anymore.

Detroit has megatron who was THE best WR in the NFL last year, 96 rec, 1681 yards. plus TE Tony Scheffler, and TE Brandon Pettigrew, WR, Nate Burlson The Lions problem is they lack the RB, 2nd top WR and defense to get to the SB

The Ravens traded to get Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans, even tho they have had a dominate run game, and defense for years. Now they have WR Torrey Smith with a potent passing game now. They might actually get to the SB

Houston has WR Andre Johnson,usually a top 10 WR who was injured most of last year, plus TE Owen Daniels . The Texans made it to the playoffs with a dominate running game and great defense with Foster #5 and Ben Tate at #19. not to mention the #2 defense. The Texans need another top WR to reach the SB.

San Fran signed Randy Moss AND Mario Manningham this off season to go along with their dominate defense and run game.

The Buffalo Bills would go a long way by looking at those teams you highlighted and try and copy how they win, because you are correct that they don't have a franchise QB yet. A great defense and running game are only part of the puzzle. the teams that actually get to the SB and win it have more then one top receiver. You know, the teams on your list you didn't highlight that have recently won the SB

it's not complete hogwash, as WRs are definitely secondary to a good QB, and it's not even close.

Last year, the top 10 QBs in the NFL (according to QB rating) were:

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Tony Romo

Matthew Stafford

Matt Schaub

Eli Manning

Matt Ryan

Alex Smith

Ben Roethlisberger

The common denominator is that 9 out of 10 of them made the playoffs.

PS - Are you really trying to use Tony Scheffler, Brandon Pettigrew, and Nate Burleson as your backup to say that pass-catchers are as important as QBs? Because if that's the case, I'm officially done with this discussion, as we are definitely not on the same page here.

they both need to go.