0-1 is all it is

RuntheDamnBall

I hope this woke them up a bit. They need to redouble their efforts and come out swinging each game. I hope today was an anomoly and we put this behind us

Redouble their efforts? Please. You really think they weren't doing the best they could?

You and I and hopefully every Bills fan hopes that was an anomaly, but please don't pretend it was caused by lack of effort.

Yesterday was maybe the worst opener ever. It sucked monkey balls. I hate the Jets and wanted to send a message. We were awful in every phase of the game besides Spiller. That said, it's almost better to get slaughter than lose a heartbreaker. This hopefully is cold water on the faces of all those players. If they don't come out pissed off this Sunday, then it is really time to panic.

My advice to keep sane is to avoid all the doomsday threads and sports talk for the week. Just a quick glance here makes me want to blow my brains out. I was excited for this season as any in the past 12 years and I'm not going to give up because of 1 horrible game with 15 left to play. Hopefully, the Bills have more mental strength than a lot of fans.

]what it worries me is that the bills of last year start did show some kind of "mental strength" but yesterday didn´t show it

Redouble their efforts? Please. You really think they weren't doing the best they could?

You and I and hopefully every Bills fan hopes that was an anomaly, but please don't pretend it was caused by lack of effort.

Substitute preparation for effort. Actually, had they been more prepared, they probably would not have had to work so hard. The timing and assignment issues suggest the coaches have a lot of work to do so that this team is not so exposed in the future.

I didn't disqualify it - I qualified it.

The point is that each of these teams are in some sense in the same boat and it won't matter if the Bills win 11 one-point games and lose 5 blowouts. And realistically, each of these teams might find that one loss meaning more in what is called a tougher conference.

If the Bills suck this bad through more than a couple of games, it'll be obvious that some changes need to be made. What I can't understand is how the same people who went through 5-1 Trent and last year's start know by the same token that this year's inauspicious start automatically speaks for the whole season. It's not baseball, but it's a long enough season that you can write off a bad opener and go back to the drawing board. I am much more intrigued to see how Gailey and this team in general responds to this ass-whupping than I am to hear people hear complain about it.

Tom Brady and the 2003 Patriots.

There is a difference between the 2003 patriots and the 2012 bills. You actually highlighted it above, Tom Brady. The 2003 patriots had already won a superbowl and had a young up and coming QB on their team.

The reason people are down on this team is because they came out for the season opener and laid an egg. Our "improved" journeyman QB looked worse than he every has and we let a team that is known for its offense trouble, put up 48 points against us.

I didn't like how the Bills looked today. They were caught flat-footed, and the most concerning thing (beyond the turnovers, which are always concerning) was the play (or lack thereof) of the defense.

That said, this is just 0-1, people. Mario Williams is not yet a $100 million mistake. You will not win $100 million for being the first person to point it out.

Fitz looked terrible, but he has looked at turns terrible and terrific before. If this kind of play (with stupid, not gutsy turnovers, and bad reads) sustains itself over a few weeks, you're going to see the Bills make a move. But if they benched Fitz right now, it would be the kind of knee-jerk move that this team has been lambasted for before.

Freddy being hurt blows, but CJ looked pretty great minus the fumble. If he can keep his ball-control issues in check, he is going to be a great one.

I am far more concerned about losing a big and reliable target like David Nelson, and the fact that TJ Graham for some reason didn't see the field today. The decision-making regarding the WRs may come to hurt this team greatly, and I didn't sense the presence of vaunted gunner Ruvell Martin on the Jets' big punt return.

That said, the Saints are 0-1. The Packers are 0-1. The Super Bowl Champion Giants are 0-1. The Bills obviously have a lot more to prove than do these other teams, but posters who are on this board bellyaching and giving up on the season and preparing their "I told you so" missives are like so many rats jumping ship. Give it a rest. It's football, they'll win or they won't, and this was just one lousy game.

0-1. Let's get ready for the home opener and kick some ass next week.

I agree to a certain aspect. However, if we get blown out at home against Kansas City then it is clear we have some problems that need to be addressed.

We do realize that, even if we beat KC and Cleveland, that really doesn't say a whole lot. The how point of this game was to see how this team, which many were hoping to be playoff bound, would do against a division rival on the road, who has beaten us for the past 3 years and we got crushed.

Somehow, beating the Chiefs and Browns is going to turn that around. Even if we blow them both out, which I doubt, we still have to play the Pats afterwards. Now, if we take it to the Pats, then maybe this game was a fluke.

I'm sorry, but the only thing we will learn over these next two teams is if we will be in the Barklay sweepstakes, cause if we lose either of them, we are done.

I didn't like how the Bills looked today. They were caught flat-footed, and the most concerning thing (beyond the turnovers, which are always concerning) was the play (or lack thereof) of the defense.

That said, this is just 0-1, people. Mario Williams is not yet a $100 million mistake. You will not win $100 million for being the first person to point it out.

Fitz looked terrible, but he has looked at turns terrible and terrific before. If this kind of play (with stupid, not gutsy turnovers, and bad reads) sustains itself over a few weeks, you're going to see the Bills make a move. But if they benched Fitz right now, it would be the kind of knee-jerk move that this team has been lambasted for before.

Freddy being hurt blows, but CJ looked pretty great minus the fumble. If he can keep his ball-control issues in check, he is going to be a great one.

I am far more concerned about losing a big and reliable target like David Nelson, and the fact that TJ Graham for some reason didn't see the field today. The decision-making regarding the WRs may come to hurt this team greatly, and I didn't sense the presence of vaunted gunner Ruvell Martin on the Jets' big punt return.

That said, the Saints are 0-1. The Packers are 0-1. The Super Bowl Champion Giants are 0-1. The Bills obviously have a lot more to prove than do these other teams, but posters who are on this board bellyaching and giving up on the season and preparing their "I told you so" missives are like so many rats jumping ship. Give it a rest. It's football, they'll win or they won't, and this was just one lousy game.

0-1. Let's get ready for the home opener and kick some ass next week.

Sorry, but this was not just one lousy game. It was the continuation of the kind of play that resulted in 7 straight losses last year and 8 straight losses the year before. It is a reflection of the coaching staff and it is a trend, not an anomaly. Until this team starts to show up and compete week in and week out, Bills fans have a right to be concerned. And benching Fitz in the midst of that debacle would have been a good move IMO. He needs to wake up and get his head out of his posterior or take a permanent seat on the bench or even pack his bags.

Sorry, but this was not just one lousy game. It was the continuation of the kind of play that resulted in 7 straight losses last year and 8 straight losses the year before. It is a reflection of the coaching staff and it is a trend, not an anomaly. Until this team starts to show up and compete week in and week out, Bills fans have a right to be concerned. And benching Fitz in the midst of that debacle would have been a good move IMO. He needs to wake up and get his head out of his posterior or take a permanent seat on the bench or even pack his bags.

of money!

You're right. Same exact team, running the exact same 3-4/4-3 George Edwards defense, with rookies who weren't here last year starting.

If there is anything to be thankful for in the midst of this great football tragedy, it's that people on this board are not running this team. Bench Fitz and play... whom exactly? TT? TJ and his whole 10 days with the Bills playbook? "Lemme teach you guys a lesson: suck this badly, and I'm going to put someone even worse on the field! Good luck winning that way!"

I thought Fitz played poorly enough to get benched, but not in the season opener, given the current roster situation. It would look even worse than it already did. As it stands Fitz played a less mistake-ridden final 20 minutes and they put points on the board, and yes, they were garbage time points, but at least they didn't lay down.

This week is going to be another test and I'm sure this board will chart a course to points unreasonable one way or the other after we know the result.

It's more than just 0-1. It's the continued poor play of Fitz and the defense.

Which is the same defense, even though we just installed a new one and have different personnel, and which is the same Fitz, even though his mistakes were not forced mistakes like they more generally are.

biggest game of the year and they got stomped.

the o line looked pretty darn good. everyone one else seemed ill prepared.

Its a fairly new group of players together who did not know what they had going in. and learned a hard lesson

I am dissapointed in the coaches mostly though.

Now lets gather it up and make a statement this weekend coming.

Right now i am heartbroken. i expected alot more.

as some folks said though, never discount the Jets, the have had our number for years and years. we now need to get theirs to make the playoffs in an honest fashion.

Well lets see, was the first game with the new defense, with most of the defense either changing positions or starting for first time for team. They played ok most time on first and 2nd downs, but sucked it up on 3rd downs most the day. The new CB's didn't fair great, LB's looked like a group of cast offs and lower round talent, and d-line didn't provide much pressure.

Hard to say if was because of new system and needing to learn their roles so don't have to think as much and can react more, or was because they wont be a good defense really. Personally feel allot of the problems were related to players not being where they were supposed to be consistently, or missing assignments all together. Though few of them were same old problems were players just couldn't make plays, like McKelvin in slot. I feel once Mcgee (or if) gets healthy he takes over slot and helps with that issue. Not sure we have an answer for LB's other than hoping they improve with experience/time.

Do think is bit early to be freaking out about state of team, even though it wasn't a pretty loss. 4 turnovers and trouble getting stops on 3rd down will usually mean ugly loss. Think the 3rd down issue is one that will improve as players become more comfortable with their roles in new defense and younger players get more experience, so that part should improve significantly as season goes on. In this game several of the bad throws and turnovers appeared to be WR and QB making different reads on defense to me, and not being on same page. How much of that was Jets defense tricking them as opposed to being an issue that will haunt us rest of season is yet to be seen, but I am hoping that this is something that will improve as well.

Overall can't say the defense looking like needs time to get in sync is a surprise to me, but was expecting the offense to be able to keep them in games for first quarter of season while defense was getting a chance to gel.