Try to justify Drew's place on this team.

Grant

Worse? JP Losman. Everybody knows he's not ready. Probably won't be next year either.

188791[/snapback]

HUH??? I would argue that NOBODY knows whether JP is ready to play......only one way to find out! We drafted him for a reason.......that reason is presented itself once again today.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think it could be any worse, you haven't watched much football. Worse? Shane Mathews would be worse. There is a reason he was out of football when we picked him up.  There is a reason he was never a starter for long.

Worse? JP Losman. Everybody knows he's not ready. Probably won't be next year either.

Worse? Joe Dufek, Vince Ferragamo, Billy Joe, Todd Collins, Bill Munson, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to call for a replacment, at least have some clue about who the replacement is going to be.  Don't just shout as loud as you can Drew must go!  Propose a "realistic" option. 

Drew probably isn't the answer, but so far you haven't come up with a realistic better answer either.

188791[/snapback]

Yes, that's it. I must not have watched football. Silly me. 0:) The single biggest copout argument on TBD today!

And I still don't see how Matthews would be a worse option than Bledsoe. When he played this year, he looked pretty good. He seemed to do adequately for the Bears and Redskins when he played. Sometimes he looked bad, but you're willing to ignore it when Drew does it.

And I've offered a very realistic answer, you just don't like it. Cut Drew. It doesn't matter who replaces him because it can't get any worse.

Keep Matthews if you want. He's about the same age as Drew, has the same amount of upside, can play the role Drew was asked of just not losing games. And he costs less. Here, if it'll make you feel better, he can patch a "Bledsoe" name tag on his back. I know you like that name.

Start Losman. Why not? What would be worse? He throws INTs, takes sacks, makes dumb throws, fumbles? Drew can do all that, but he's much older and has no future.

Or sign anyone else. Literally anyone. At least with someone new, they might surprise us.

As much as you think Matthews is a guranteed loser, you don't KNOW that. At least he offers that. Bledsoe has shown exactly what he will do. You KNOW he will fail in big games, he's proven it to us plenty of times in 3 years.

Oh, my god. Do you think before you say these things?

Jim Kelly's first three years here were when he was a young man and was still learning!

Drew is 32. He is not improving, he is regressing. He's finished.

Come on now.

188779[/snapback]

The funny thing with Kelly is that his skills dropped off VERY sharply with age. He was gone by '97... About 37 years old!

I feel DB moved forward this year. At 32, he's got a lot of years left to work with a STABLE GOOD TEAM.

The 10 years he spent with the Pats, I feel, really did him a diservice.

He's a "horse" you ride to the end.

One reason for my thinking is that I have seen so much progress in this team. MaGahee is by prime reason for building this thinking... I don't know why, I just feel you are rushing things (I know everybody wants to win now).

Ok, who didn't think that Squeeler.....#25? wasn't going to strip the ball from Bledsoe. You KNEW that play had "impending doooooooooooooooooooooooom" written all over it. Of course, #92 meathead did his best Richard Seymour impersonation, and that's the season.

Bledsoe's career is like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.......the same mistakes.....over and over and over and over and over and over.......

0:):doh::doh::doh::doh:

I can't digest another season with the Statue. 3 seasons, 3 strikes, you're out.

That's the kind of mentality that accepts mediocrity and Drew Bledsoe, thinking we can't get anyone better.

Anyone but Drew.

188578[/snapback]

Well...I'm not going to go THAT far...In Drew's defense he had his moments. He was a huge reason the Bills won the Game at Miami (which they easily could have lost), and he made enough plays to give the Bills a chance in the end...

That being said, there is absolutely no question that the Bills can improve the play overall at the QB position in this Offense, and I doubt very much that Bledsoe is going to get much better than he was this Season...And if the Bills aspire to be a Championship Team, I can assure everyone here that Bledsoe will not be the answer...A Playoff Team maybe, heck even probably...But a Championship...no way...

I'm also not sure that Losman is ready to take over, and that doubt was greatly aided by the fact that the Bills stuck with Drew, thus JP got almost no real NFL experience...But that decision actually turned out to be the right one because obviously a break or two today would have got the Bills in the Playoffs...This is such a weird dilemma because despite the winning streak we still have serious doubt about whether or not this Offense, with Bledsoe, is good enough to beat good, Playoff calibre NFL Defenses...If I was TD, I would take a good long look at how this Offense played vs. the better Defenses like New England, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, etc...This Team is good enough to be a Playoff contender in 2005 with Bledsoe, I don't think there is much doubt about that. If the goal next Season is to simply take the next logical step forward, then I imagine Bledsoe returns...But if the Bills truly want to be a Super Bowl Contender, I think TD has to figure out A) If JP is ready, and B) If not JP than who???

For the record I think the Bills stick with Bledsoe in 2005, and sometime during next Season Losman takes the Job for good...

Today sucked out loud, but the run was fun, and the Bills did the improbable by giving us reason to care in Week 17...So it's not all bad I guess... 0:)

The funny thing with Kelly is that his skills dropped off VERY sharply with age. He was gone by '97... About 37 years old!

I feel DB moved forward this year. At 32, he's got a lot of years left to work with a STABLE GOOD TEAM.

One reason for my thinking is that I have seen so much progress in this team.  MaGahee is by prime reason for building this thinking... I don't know why, I just feel you are rushing things (I know everybody wants to win now).

188836[/snapback]

At this point, I barely need to post because you're beating your own arguments for me.

I almost feel bad arguing logic against you because you just rely on "Well, I think he can really do it next year. No, this time for real. I have a feeling, just give him another year. He might turn it around."

But you're right about one thing. This entire team has gotten better around Drew. And yet, he's remained a constant failure. The defense, special teams, offensive line, receiving core, tight ends, running backs have all improved and yet Drew continues to bumble their success.

He's finished.

One reason for my thinking is that I have seen so much progress in this team.  MaGahee is by prime reason for building this thinking... I don't know why, I just feel you are rushing things (I know everybody wants to win now).

188836[/snapback]

How did his 10 years with the Pats do him a diservice?

Bledsoe is what he is. He hasnt improved since 1997. I dont see him ever winning another playoff game. He's too easy to defend.

As I have read in the Rochester D&C Matthews is retiring for good so he is not even an option.

The fact is this was a good season considering when the Bills were 5-1 I was not looking at this game meaning anything.

J.P. better be the future or why did we trade this years #1 pick for him? I think Drew is done, but we are going to have to wait until camp to see who is going to start next year. Travis Brown after a year on the IR could come back a surprise everyone!

Losing sucks, but next year this team is going to turn some heads!

How did his 10 years with the Pats do him a diservice?

Bledsoe is what he is.  He hasnt improved since 1997.  I dont see him ever winning another playoff game.  He's too easy to defend.

188854[/snapback]

Look at the offensive line that Drew had when he was with the pats. Look at the line he has with the bills.

Drew had better options on the pats. Time for TD to beef up this line

TREY TEAGUE & MIKE PUCILLO ARE A REAL JOKE.

Look at the offensive line that Drew had when he was with the pats. Look at the line he has with the bills.

188885[/snapback]

Who would consider a better lineman on those Pats teams then what we have now? As far as I am concerned Villereal, Jennings and Williams are solid, as is Marcus Price and Trey Teague. Please give me a few names for those old Pats lines that you consider better

If you look at Bledsoe's play, as I expect Mularkey and Wyche and Clements will, play by play, snap by snap over the course of this game, and over the course of this season, I think you will find plenty of evidence to suggest he can't win consistently. Too many bad throws, too many bad decisions, and even on successful plays, the risk of imminent disaster.

Ask youself how many games didthe Billswin this year that they would not have won with just and AVERAGE QB. I might say the Miami gam--but I can't think of any other. Even inthe Seattle game, which the Bills won handily, he threw three picks. We're asking him to make handoffs, to make short throws, to occasionally throw it down field. The only area where he might be considered ablve average is in downfield throws. But his deficits in other areas more than detract from that.

Anyway, that's what I feel now. I want to see what Losman can do, but he doesn't haveto be Peyton Manning for the Bills to continue to play as well as they have in the second half of this season. Donohoe and Mularkey have built a team that requires workmanlike competence at QB. Bledsoe cannot be counted on to provide that consistently.

Don't encourage her.

Every reasonable person, even some of the Drew apologists, know the offensive line hasn't been a problem this year. They have done well, even great at points.

Even when Drew had plenty of time today, he bumbled it.

The O-Line isn't the problem, kids. It's the guy behind it.

188885[/snapback]

Teague was a LOT better than last year. No OL deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Pucillo.

Don't encourage her.

Every reasonable person, even some of the Drew apologists, know the offensive line hasn't been a problem this year. They have done well, even great at points.

188902[/snapback]

I am asking her to substantiate her claim. New Englands line is great when Tom Brady is back there and so-so the last few years Drew was back there. Drew was sacked 45 times in 2000 and 55 times in 1999- his last two years as a starter in NE. I would like Sue to explain how that line is better. Drew was sacked only 34 times this year with the Bills. Please explain Sue

Don't encourage her.

188902[/snapback]

No, the truth is that both are a problem. The pass protection has been fairly solid this year, but the run blocking has often sucked. Today was another example of it, where they opened holes for McGahee on one series and did practically nothing for him the rest of the game. That has to improve, both for McGahee's sake AND for whoever the QB is. Few QBs are successful when they're put in 3rd and long situations all day. If Losman is to start next year, the Bills would be very wise to upgrade the OL, not only for better pass protection, but also to give him a more consistently effective ground game to rely on (much as Pittsburgh does with Roethlisberger).

188885[/snapback]

Drew had plenty of time on his first interception - he wasn't under any pressure but still threw the pick.

No,  the truth is that both are a problem.  The pass protection has been fairly solid this year,  but the run blocking has often sucked.  Today was another example of it,  where they opened holes for McGahee on one series and did practically nothing for him the rest of the game.  That has to improve,  both for McGahee's sake AND for whoever the QB is.  Few QBs are successful when they're put in 3rd and long situations all day.  If Losman is to start next year,  the Bills would be very wise to upgrade the OL,  not only for better pass protection,  but also to give him a more consistently effective ground game to rely on (much as Pittsburgh does with Roethlisberger).

188954[/snapback]

Cut Bledsoe and use the cap cash to grab a stud LT 0:)

All offensive lines have problems!

No team in the league will ever have a perfect one. Ours right now is pretty good. I wouldn't mind it getting better, especially on the left side of the line. But it's not our primary problem.