Hot for Buffalo Wife Swappie/Teen Beauty Queen/Prostitute

bbb

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It seemed to happen about 15 or so years ago. Hung became hanged. Pled became pleaded............I don't know who made this decision. And, it still sounds stupid to me every time I hear one of those things.

I thought the same thing - learned that while both are correct, somehow the standard when writing has become "pleaded" - I still like "pled"

I hate pleaded. It doesn't sound right. Also, I always thought the past tense of plead was spelled plead, not pled. As a matter of fact, the spell check on this site considers pled incorrect. Now they all sound weird.

***Edit - Roads. Ro-ads. Row-ads. Rowaaaads.

Edited by Thisistheyear

I hate pleaded. It doesn't sound right. Also, I always thought the past tense of plead was spelled plead, not pled. As a matter of fact, the spell check on this site considers pled incorrect.

It seemed to happen about 15 or so years ago. Hung became hanged. Pled became pleaded............I don't know who made this decision. And, it still sounds stupid to me every time I hear one of those things.

According to Dictionary.com:

plead

   /plid/ Show Spelled [pleed] Show IPA verb, plead·ed or pled; plead·ing.

verb (used without object)

to appeal or entreat earnestly: to plead for time.

to use arguments or persuasions, as with a person, for or against something: She pleaded with him not to take the job.

to afford an argument or appeal: His youth pleads for him.

Law .

a.

to make any allegation or plea in an action at law.

b.

to put forward an answer on the part of a defendant to a legal declaration or charge.

c.

to address a court as an advocate.

d.

Obsolete . to prosecute a suit or action at law.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures are hung on the wall, people are hanged in the town square.

• 1 month later...