And the search for the Bills MLB begins

1. I don't see how this means Sheppard is in trouble. :blink: Look at Cordy Glenn...they had concerns about him, but also clearly wanted him to start....and in response have played him as many reps as possible. If they had the same concerns with Sheppard, he'd be getting the same treatment.

Sheppard played into what, the end of the 3rd Q, last week? Way longer than other starters.

It's true the coaches aren't saying Sheppard is in trouble, but looking at the #tackles (hint: the MLB should be getting more. He's got 0 and 1) and film of him tied up with blockers and no where near the ball in the 1st 2 preseason games, it doesn't exactly look like he's lighting the position on fire.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheppard played into what, the end of the 3rd Q, last week? Way longer than other starters.

It's true the coaches aren't saying Sheppard is in trouble, but looking at the #tackles (hint: the MLB should be getting more. He's got 0 and 1) and film of him tied up with blockers and no where near the ball in the 1st 2 preseason games, it doesn't exactly look like he's lighting the position on fire.

Exactly. It looks like the coaches are sticking with Shep, but there are obvious signs of concern.

Morrison looked terrific in the last game by the way, and was playing like a MLB should. Attacking the run, getting around blocks, and playing with passion. The thing that concerns me the most with Shep, is that his only game plan seems to be to run directly into blockers. He plays slow, and passively, doesn't attack, and seems to WANT to lock up with blockers. He rarely touches the ball carrier on runs...Even mediocre MLB's should lead their team in tackles (Poz, Morrison, ect...), however Shep seems to make the fewest tackles of any defender on the field.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Exactly. It looks like the coaches are sticking with Shep, but there are obvious signs of concern.

Morrison looked terrific in the last game by the way, and was playing like a MLB should. Attacking the run, getting around blocks, and playing with passion. The thing that concerns me the most with Shep, is that his only game plan seems to be to run directly into blockers. He rarely touches the ball carrier on runs...Even mediocre MLB's should lead their team in tackles (Poz, Morrison, ect...), however Shep seems to make the fewest tackles of any defender on the field.

Morrison looked terrific *against 3rd stringers. The comment you responded to was from the Vikes game. Shep played much better against the Steelers. You knock him for "running into blockers" while others knock him for "not filling holes". However, throughout the Steelers game, he regularly was coming up to the line, taking on the OL at the LOS, therefore filling that hole and forcing the runner into our DL or other LBs for a stop at or behind the LOS.

Poz lead the team in tackles because he would hang out 5 yards back and let the runner come to him and make the tackle downfield. Remember, that was the biggest knock on Poz. Not once in the Steelers game did Shep hang back and let the play come to him. The second he read run he was charging forward to meet players at the LOS and either get the stop, or help the defense get the stop. As far as "he should be leading in tackles", he was tied for 2nd in tackles in the Steelers game.

Can he improve? Of course. He definitely isn't perfect. But I dont think there should be concern.

Morrison looked terrific *against 3rd stringers. The comment you responded to was from the Vikes game. Shep played much better against the Steelers. You knock him for "running into blockers" while others knock him for "not filling holes". However, throughout the Steelers game, he regularly was coming up to the line, taking on the OL at the LOS, therefore filling that hole and forcing the runner into our DL or other LBs for a stop at or behind the LOS.

Poz lead the team in tackles because he would hang out 5 yards back and let the runner come to him and make the tackle downfield. Remember, that was the biggest knock on Poz. Not once in the Steelers game did Shep hang back and let the play come to him. The second he read run he was charging forward to meet players at the LOS and either get the stop, or help the defense get the stop. As far as "he should be leading in tackles", he was tied for 2nd in tackles in the Steelers game.

Can he improve? Of course. He definitely isn't perfect. But I dont think there should be concern.

That's all opinion DR, and I know how much you already despise this thread, but I disagree. I watched Shep on every snap. I will agree that he played better than he did against the VIkes, but he still looks like a liability out there. He is getting blown off the play by FB's everytime teams run up the middle. He also got bowled over into the end zone on 3rd and 2. Sorry, there is just nothing I have seen out of him that says "solid NFL MLB". But let's hope I'm wrong.

My point all along has been that we have another proven MLB on the team. I'm just very disappointed that there wasn't a competition to make sure we put the best MLB out there on the field. I'm not sure that we did... I think it's fair to be as concerned about this position as any other.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

That's all opinion DR, and I know how much you already despise this thread, but I disagree. I watched Shep on every snap. I will agree that he played better than he did against the VIkes, but he still looks like a liability out there. He is getting blown off the play by FB's everytime teams run up the middle. He also got bowled over into the end zone on 3rd and 2. Sorry, there is just nothing I have seen out of him that says "solid NFL MLB". But let's hope I'm wrong.

My point all along has been that we have another proven MLB on the team. I'm just very disappointed that there wasn't a competition to make sure we put the best MLB out there on the field. I'm not sure that we did... I think it's fair to be as concerned about this position as any other.

Not sure if we're talking about the same play, but if it's the first TD you're referring to, that was Barnett, not Sheppard.

Not sure if we're talking about the same play, but if it's the first TD you're referring to, that was Barnett, not Sheppard.

It doesn't matter who was there physically. In spirit and our minds, it was Sheppard. Stop bring your reality crusade here.

No that was Shep, and Dareus and Byrd. Shep made first contact, Dareus came in from the side, but the Steelers OL jumped on the runners back and drove them all into the end zone.

Shep should have had that stuck at the 2, so should have Dareus. But they didnt keep their feet moving.

I did a full play by play breakdown of Shep's performance here: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/148898-where-is-kelvin-sheppard/page__st__120#entry2541695

So Turbo, it isnt really opinion. I rewatched and documented every play.

We are still one draft away people. The first draft by the organization was all on Modrak, I give them a pass, this year (2013 draft) we will get the LB we need. Buddy knows how to look for talent and so does Whaley.. They have only had two drafts..

barnett is a beast and I think you put him where he will be needed the most - maybe not the inside if K.Williams keeps doing what he has been. Opposite side of Mario then?

I think Barnett has been just fine on the weakside, very good actually. And I think Moats has surprised everyone by all of the sudden looking like a good (but still learning) LB on the strong side. I think the big question mark is right in the middle.

Thankfully our D-line looks amazing, so it should be a good situation for whoever is playing LB...

Lol. I watched every play too. It's still just your opinion. Which I accept. Clearly the coaches are sticking with Shep at least for now, so I think we are all hoping he proves his worth when it counts.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

No that was Shep, and Dareus and Byrd. Shep made first contact, Dareus came in from the side, but the Steelers OL jumped on the runners back and drove them all into the end zone.

Shep should have had that stuck at the 2, so should have Dareus. But they didnt keep their feet moving.

I did a full play by play breakdown of Shep's performance here: http://forums.twobil...20#entry2541695

Exactly. He was a little slow to the hole there. But he showed he can do it in other plays Saturday night.

GO BILLS!!!