Young vs. Brad Smith

bmur66

The best argument I have heard is because Young has enough on his plate right now trying to learn the offense which is top priority.

On the other hand VY is such a good athlete, it would not surprise me If Young could out perform Brad Smith in more areas then Smith could out perform Young when it comes to playing different positions. Young would make one hell of a RB, and he already out performs Smith in the passing game. I'm just speculating, but I'll bet VY has pretty decent hands when it comes to catching the football.

Edited by Fig Newton

The best argument I have heard is because Young has enough on his plate right now trying to learn the offense which is top priority.

On the other hand VY is such a good athlete, it would not surprise me If Young could out perform Brad Smith in more areas then Smith could out perform Young when it comes to playing different positions. Young would make one hell of a RB, and he already out performs Smith in the passing game. I'm just speculating, but I'll bet VY has pretty decent hands when it comes to catching the football.

Yeah some of the arguments against the two being redundant are simply semantics.

Why couldn't they make Vince Young the backup QB as well as a 3rd down QB much like Randall Cunningham was in his first few years?

Get rid of Smith, Thiggy becomes your 3rd string/scout team QB.

Then give all practice reps to Young. He can learn the base offense every day and also learn a few "3rd down package" plays (code for Wildcat) along the way. Then you have a supremely talented guy being utilized as a weapon.

The thing about Brad Smith is that he's yet to prove that he's really, truly proficient at anything. He's not returning kicks anymore, he'd play wide receiver only in a pinch… and he's probably not as good a QB as Vince Young.

I could see keeping Brad Smith if he was demonstratively superior in an area or two… but he's not.

Why use Brad Smith in a Wildcat if you can use VY as an occasional 3rd-down QB? He could do everything Smith could do AND MORE.

Why use Brad Smith in a Wildcat if you can use VY as an occasional 3rd-down QB? He could do everything Smith could do AND MORE.

The argument is that a coach doesn't want to risk injury to his primary backup.

By definition, in the Wildcat/Option, the guy taking the snap is going to be the ball carrier quite a bit, and therefore more likely to be injured.

So, most coaches don't want to risk injuring the guy who would act as the QB in the primary offense, if the starter were to go down.

Some might think that the above scenario isn't likely to happen (two QBs injured), but it might, and if it does, you're doubly screwed.

If Brad Smith gets hurt running the Wildcat, not nearly as big a deal, you just scrap the Wildcat package.

Before anyone says, "But VY ran the option all the time in college," remember who he was playing against.

Also, as mentioned before, scrambling when the defense is playing the pass is not the same as a designed run in the WIldcat. It's more likely on a scramble that VY can slide or get out of bounds.

In any case, I don't really know how much merit the injury argument has, but that is the answer to the above question as far as I know.

Now if Thigpen proved to be the better primary backup, and one were to argue that VY should be kept as the 3rd QB, that is a different story. It seems that Chan has his mind made up about Smith though, so there you have it. I imagine the answer is that whether or not you think BS is particularly good at anything, he has some experience in a lot of shoes. VY has only played QB, so maybe the Bills don't want to limit themselves in that regard.

Because brad smith can be 3rd qb, personal protector, gunner, wr, among other things. You keep a guy that can play in that many different places...

Yeah, he can do a lot of things for this team. Question is....can he do those things better than other players who will sucure back-up positions? I would argue that Brooks, Bradham, and Carder more than fill his shoes on special teams. Third QB? Really? I'd almost rather have Michael Jasper under center. We all saw how consistently mediocre he was on kickoff returns last season. Also, I don't think he is a top 7 WR on this team right now.

All these things considered....I don't think Brad Smith makes the 53 man roster.

The argument is that a coach doesn't want to risk injury to his primary backup.

By definition, in the Wildcat/Option, the guy taking the snap is going to be the ball carrier quite a bit, and therefore more likely to be injured.

So, most coaches don't want to risk injuring the guy who would act as the QB in the primary offense, if the starter were to go down.

Some might think that the above scenario isn't likely to happen (two QBs injured), but it might, and if it does, you're doubly screwed.

If Brad Smith gets hurt running the Wildcat, not nearly as big a deal, you just scrap the Wildcat package.

Before anyone says, "But VY ran the option all the time in college," remember who he was playing against.

Also, as mentioned before, scrambling when the defense is playing the pass is not the same as a designed run in the WIldcat. It's more likely on a scramble that VY can slide or get out of bounds.

In any case, I don't really know how much merit the injury argument has, but that is the answer to the above question as far as I know.

Now if Thigpen proved to be the better primary backup, and one were to argue that VY should be kept as the 3rd QB, that is a different story. It seems that Chan has his mind made up about Smith though, so there you have it. I imagine the answer is that whether or not you think BS is particularly good at anything, he has some experience in a lot of shoes. VY has only played QB, so maybe the Bills don't want to limit themselves in that regard.

Well, most of your arguement on VY makes sense. My opinion is very successful NFL teams don't rely on gimmicks or gimmick players. The wildcat was interesting the first year the fish caught the league by surprise. Now It's more of a "gimmick" than a strategy that a head coach should game plan on. I do not see one single thing that Brad Smith excels in other than stealing a game check during the regular season. He is overpayed and Chan/Nix are trying to save face by keeping him on the roster.

I'd rather the team run a double reverse 5 or 6 times a game than a college wildcat play. I hope Gailey can prove me wrong, but that krap will not get us too the promised land IMO.

Vince Young reminds me of that guy we played with in High School. He was always the biggest kid, strongest, and full of physical gifts. His work ethic didn't matter when he ended up starting as a Sophomore. Yet, by the time we reached our Senior year everyone was better because they learned to play their positions, worked harder, and most importantly had a real passion for the game that wasn't just a gift in genetics.

But, back to the OP's question...it is apples and oranges. I think many teams would prefer Brad Smith as their third QB, including the Jets. When you say 3rd QB it doesn't mean third string anymore - the rules have changed. He is just the "third" QB on our roster but will see more time then our 2nd QB.

every time this question is asked its obvious the poster simply doesnt understand a) what a qb2 does, and 3) what a qb3 under the new rules means

a) qb2 is insurance. you dont put your insurance on the front lines to get obliterated just when you need him

3) qb3 under the new rules is either a development qb or a utility player. if you dont have/need a developmental qb, then you save roster spots by having a quy there that can do multiple things

young serving both roles would be supremely stupid. i would call for chans firing if he did that

/thread

frankly i think smith was impressive at wr considering he hadnt done it in four years except as a gimmick play. he actually went from a kr/wc player to a productive nfl wr in just a few games. thats pretty tough and he did it like falling off a fat girl

he was disappointing as a wc director, at least considering how few times they ran it, and putrid as a qb option. but he and chan had little time to prepare so he deserves some beneifit of the doubt

id say like fitz he has this season. prove your worth or pull the plug. right now i think both will come through, we'll see

every time this question is asked its obvious the poster simply doesnt understand a) what a qb2 does, and 3) what a qb3 under the new rules means

a) qb2 is insurance. you dont put your insurance on the front lines to get obliterated just when you need him

3) qb3 under the new rules is either a development qb or a utility player. if you dont have/need a developmental qb, then you save roster spots by having a quy there that can do multiple things

young serving both roles would be supremely stupid. i would call for chans firing if he did that

/thread

Whatever, Meathead.

The discussion is a bit semantics and a bit pointless distinctions.

Any guy who played QB in college (both Young and Smith) who played in a spread option offense can probably effectively run the Wildcat. Guys like Cam Newton, Colin Kapernick, etc. It's football.

If you're worried about Young getting injured you don't make him your primary backup… you keep Thiggy or get someone else who will be the "conventional" backup quarterback. You use Young as a "third-down quarterback" who comes in as a change of pace… someone who can run or throw on a 3rd and 3. Call him your number 3 quarterback if it makes you happy.

One of my points is that Brad Smith has proven zero in terms of his "versatility." That makes his skill set redundant to Young's. How many teams have a player like Brad Smith who is supposedly versatile and who supposedly saves roster spots? What value does he really add?

IMO, keep the better player not both of them. You're gonna have to dumb down the offense for Young anyways based on the fact that he's just learning it and the offensive system is entering its 3rd year.

You can keep Thiggy on the roster then… call him your "backup"… or call him your "disaster QB"… call him whatever pleases you.

Just because people don't agree with the "distinctions" between a 2nd and a 3rd quarterback doesn't make them wrong.

And as I said in an earlier conversation on this topic a few weeks ago… I'd be pleased as punch if Brad Smith suddenly started playing well enough to justify his roster spot.

But in my opinion, he hasn't done that yet.