Some things I noticed from last nights scrimmage

And yes, it was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage!

- We have defenders that can get into the backfield FAST. On the first 3 series there were defenders in the backfield almost instantaneously. This is a HUGE risk/reward scenario. When we play teams with a non-mobile QB they're going to be terrifying. One thing is for certain, Bills defenders are going to blow up some plays this year.

- Brooks can play. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a starting DB before mid season.

- TJ Graham is fast, really freaking fast.

- The Bills offense may have looked crappy last night but lets not forget they lined up on multiple plays with an empty backfield. That pretty much tells the defense what's coming.

- Stupid penalties and atrocious calls negated one, perhaps two scores.

- Jasper was MAULING people.

- Merriman looked pretty damn good

- Anderson was having a blast out there and it going to be a great upgrade.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

And yes, it was nothing more than a glorified scrimmage!

- We have defenders that can get into the backfield FAST. On the first 3 series there were defenders in the backfield almost instantaneously. This is a HUGE risk/reward scenario. When we play teams with a non-mobile QB they're going to be terrifying. One thing is for certain, Bills defenders are going to blow up some plays this year.

- Brooks can play. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a starting DB before mid season.

- TJ Graham is fast, really freaking fast.

- The Bills offense may have looked crappy last night but lets not forget they lined up on multiple plays with an empty backfield. That pretty much tells the defense what's coming.

- Stupid penalties and atrocious calls negated one, perhaps two scores.

- Jasper was MAULING people.

- Merriman looked pretty damn good

- Anderson was having a blast out there and it going to be a great upgrade.

Have to be careful with blowing up the backfield. Teams will be running draws and screens on them all day. I understand that was what your HUGE risk was referring to but they have to be disciplined.

Have to be careful with blowing up the backfield. Teams will be running draws and screens on them all day. I understand that was what your HUGE risk was referring to but they have to be disciplined.

This risk is reduced when you can consistently get pressure with your front four....which I think the Bills can do. The linebackers/safeties can then sniff-out draws and screens.

Why did Kelsay start instead of anderson? To me, I just don't get it?

Mario said they were running their base run defense which is where Kelsay excels--- I'd imagine Anderson will be rotated in on mostly but not exclusively passing downs.

the d-line (particularly DT's) were blowing up the backfield because this was the first live action and they just wanted to "get after it"...there will be more discipline, especially in the lanes, when we start installing game plans and such...all I took this as is a good sign that when we want/need to penetrate, these guys shows (early on) that they can indeed get after it...

They are going to do that with just their front 4. Pin the ears back and kill the QB is their MO. Let the backers and DBs take care of the rest. The Dline will cause a lot of problems this year.

They are going to do that with just their front 4. Pin the ears back and kill the QB is their MO. Let the backers and DBs take care of the rest. The Dline will cause a lot of problems this year.

That's what's going to make this defense golden. Getting pressure/penetration with four rushers is how a defense becomes great. If the offense keeps someone in to protect, you've got almost everyone double covered, and if they try to use your speed, with draws and screens, you have seven men back to protect.