Morrison V Moats

So i watched the video on BB.com about the battle going on in camp for the starting SAM LB spot between Morrison And Moats. Kind of torn on this one Morrison has the experience obviously and with not much playing time last year should be fresh and ready to go this year. The stashe seems to be be high on him as well. Otherside of the coin there is the overachieving Moats. He's shown flashes of talent but i fear maybe a liability in coverage? And his lack of knowledge of the scheme is a bit scary but i do love his effort and playmaking ability. I am leaning towards Moats simply. Because of his upside but thats just me. Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering what happened to Nigel Bradham. Saw he was getting 1st team rep's along with Morrison/Moats at SOLB. The first "official" depth chart had Nigel listed as back-up to Barnett at the WOLB. Haven't heard much about the kid since the 1st couple days of camp. Anybody heard/seen anything from him? I really like his nastiness, and I hope he gets his chance to shine on the football field. He'll be a ST demon for sure.

So i watched the video on BB.com about the battle going on in camp for the starting SAM LB spot between Morrison And Moats. Kind of torn on this one Morrison has the experience obviously and with not much playing time last year should be fresh and ready to go this year. The stashe seems to be be high on him as well. Otherside of the coin there is the overachieving Moats. He's shown flashes of talent but i fear maybe a liability in coverage? And his lack of knowledge of the scheme is a bit scary but i do love his effort and playmaking ability. I am leaning towards Moats simply. Because of his upside but thats just me. Thoughts?

My thoughts about this from a post a few months back: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/143822-moats-as-the-slb/

Still need an upgrade at this position. Both players have limitations. I'm not convince Sheppard will be good at MLB either. I just think he would be much better as an OLB. I'd like to see Sheppard & Barnett as OLB's and a new MLB. I think Tank might be the answer before the season is over.

Still need an upgrade at this position. Both players have limitations. I'm not convince Sheppard will be good at MLB either. I just think he would be much better as an OLB. I'd like to see Sheppard & Barnett as OLB's and a new MLB. I think Tank might be the answer before the season is over.

What makes you think that Sheppard would be better as an OLB? He's never been anything but a middle backer.

I don't buy that article at all, I think they were really reaching on that one. Just because Moats got some time with the starting unit, doesn't mean he is seriously being considered for the starting role. If anything, I'm thinking it is a situational thing. Barring something catastrophic, Morrison will be the starter. Moats must be making a good impression though, and looks like he has a chance to make the team. Something I did not believe would happen at the beginning of camp. Moats has a decent rush, but struggles in coverage, and especially wrapping up ball carriers. He struggles at two of the most important aspects of that position.

I was with you until you said you wanted to see Sheppard on the outside? Sheppard has only played MLB his entire college and pro career, that makes no sense. I am a little concerned that Sheppard was appointed the unquestioned starter last year after having proven very little, but I don't think we have any better options at this point.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It could be that Moats is getting some time and publicity for some other team to take notice and work a trade.

Seems kind of far fetched. The Bills are pretty weak at LB IMO, with Barnett as the only proven above average player. If Moats proves himself worthy of trade value, wouldn't it make more sense to keep him to bolster our own LB unit? Unfortunately I just don't think he is that good.

The battle for the LB roster spots should be interesting this year though. With Scott taking up a LB roster spot, and Bradham and Carder likely (but not guaranteed by anymeans) to get roster spots. What does that leave, maybe 1 other spot for Moats/Batten/Eddins/McKillop to grab?

If the Bills put Bradham or Carder on the practice squad, that might open another spot. Bradham apparently hasn't impressed the coaches all that much so far, but it would seem risky putting him on the practice squad. Either of those guys really.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Seems kind of far fetched. The Bills are pretty weak at LB IMO, with Barnett as the only proven above average player. If Moats proves himself worthy of trade value, wouldn't it make more sense to keep him to bolster our own LB unit? Unfortunately I doubt he is that good.

The battle for the LB roster spots should be interesting this year though. With Scott taking up a LB roster spot, and Bradham and Carder likely (but not guaranteed by anymeans) to get roster spots. What does that leave, 1 other spot for Moats/Batten/Eddins/McKillop to grab?

If the Bills put Bradham or Carder on the practice squad, that would open another spot. Bradham apparently hasn't impressed the coaches all that much so far, but it would seem risky putting him on the practice squad. Either of those guys really.

You raise a good point, but I don't think we risk trying to put Bradham on the practice squad. I'm not talking a blockbuster trade, either, just a 7th-rounder to allow us to move up two spots in the 3rd round again. Moats maybe showing some flashes in camp, but he was drafted for a 3-4 hybrid we're not running anymore.

What makes you think that Sheppard would be better as an OLB? He's never been anything but a middle backer.

Guys, just because a player plays one position in college doesn't mean he is going to impact at that position in the NFL. Moats was a DE, right? I'm not a big Sheppard fan, I like him on the outside because I don't think he takes good angles and hesitates too much and gets caught up in the wash. On the outside he doesn't have to worry about angles and its more obvious when a play is coming at him. He is talented but, from what I saw last year & in camp, the Bills are forcing this issue. In fact I think Barnett would be better in the middle. I like Sheppard but I don't feel he is a good fit as a MLB in the NFL. There I said it out loud. LOL

I haven't seen one thing out of Moats past or present that makes me say he should be the guy. At least Morrison has experience. It will be Bradham's spot soon enough. NB will never be great but will be a very steady performer for the Bills a lot like Angelo Crowell was before the injuries.

I haven't seen one thing out of Moats past or present that makes me say he should be the guy. At least Morrison has experience. It will be Bradham's spot soon enough. NB will never be great but will be a very steady performer for the Bills a lot like Angelo Crowell was before the injuries.

This ^

Sheppard is banged up. Maybe the reason Moats is getting OLB reps is because they have to move Morrison on the inside?

Another thought, why isn't Merriman playing OLB anymore? I know he is old blah blah blah but isn't it about putting your best 7 on the football field?

Sheppard is banged up. Maybe the reason Moats is getting OLB reps is because they have to move Morrison on the inside?

Another thought, why isn't Merriman playing OLB anymore? I know he is old blah blah blah but isn't it about putting your best 7 on the football field?

Merriman was a 3-4 OLB...Basically a DE. He does not fit as a LB in a 4-3. Merriman is a pass rusher only, he needs to play on the line of scrimage.

Guys, just because a player plays one position in college doesn't mean he is going to impact at that position in the NFL. Moats was a DE, right? I'm not a big Sheppard fan, I like him on the outside because I don't think he takes good angles and hesitates too much and gets caught up in the wash. On the outside he doesn't have to worry about angles and its more obvious when a play is coming at him. He is talented but, from what I saw last year & in camp, the Bills are forcing this issue. In fact I think Barnett would be better in the middle. I like Sheppard but I don't feel he is a good fit as a MLB in the NFL. There I said it out loud. LOL

Find me a LB who wouldn't have been caught up in the wash behind that line last season. They had 1.75 players out of four.

I also would not so easily discount Shep playing MLB in a 4-3 for one of the best college defenses around.

I think predicting Shep's success or failure based upon last season (no OTAs, injured in TC, then basically thrown into a different defense) is foolish. His pedigree is as a MLB in the 4-3, and even the guy you'd have in that spot (Barnett) is raving about Shep's potential.

We'll find out soon enough.

Yeah, LB has me concerned. I think that's our weakest position possibly on the whole team. It's possible if the D-Line is that good, it may just make the LBs look better. But if they miss their assignments could end up being costly... Not sure yet. I except nothing until I see some consistent play at all 3 LB positions.

While I haven't seen him yet this year, nothing about what I've seen from Moats has ever suggested he'd be a successful OLB in any system, let alone a 4-3. If the Stache and Co. can make him a serviceable LB it will go down as one of the greatest coaching jobs and player development projects in history. And it will be one helluva testament to Moats' own commitment and determination.

GO BILLS!!!