Wide Receivers

Coach55

Alright - after a week of camp I am making the following prediction - Donald Jones will not make the team. Everyone has been saying there are 4 locks at WR (Johnson, Graham, Nelson and Jones). IMO, All of Aiken, Hagan and Easley are playing materially better as receivers through camp. The one item going for Jones is may be a better blocking WR, however, he has significant trouble getting open and is often the targeted receiver for the picks thrown by Fitz. This is true not only of camp, but his play in the previous two seasons as well. If the season were to start today Johnson, Graham, Nelson and Hagan are all in. The big question is number 5 - and I think Easley and Aiken both have more upside than Jones... Take it for what its worth. Just my opinion.

Here's a little cost/benefit info derived from PFF.

thrown at/picks (% of passes picked that were thrown at that WR)

Evans 78 times, 2 picks (2.6%); 2.8 YAC per reception in 2011 (BLT)

Donald Jones, 42 times, 2 picks (4.7%); highest YAC per reception in 2010(5.2 yds); 3.0 in 2011

Brad Smith, 41 times, 2 picks (4.8%); 4.9 YAC per reception in 2011

Stevie 132 times, 7 picks (5.3%); 2nd highest YAC per reception in 2010(5.0 yds); 4.3 in 2011

Martin 15 times, 1 pick (6.6%) 4.4 YAC per reception in 2011

Nelson 94 times, 7 picks (7.4%); 3.5 YAC per reception in 2011

Roosevelt 26 times, 2 picks (7.6%); 9.3 highest YAC per reception in 2011

Hagan 22 times, 2 picks (9.1%)l 2.1 YAC per reception in 2011

Donald Jones and Stevie make it on their 2010 performance, but they better step it up.

Smith makes it due to versatility and he's not picked often.

Roosevelt deserves to make it on his YAC yards despite his picks.

Hagan doesn't make it--picked too often and can't gain after the catch.

Donald Jones and Stevie make it on their 2010 performance, but they better step it up.

see thats the problem with stats. everyone knows hagan outplayed donald jones in his brief time last year. It could be %100 the fault of the QB on any given INT, these stats dont show whos fault it was. Or the game situation. How can you get RAC yards if you catch one in the endzone...or tiptoeing out of bounds? Stats can prove alot of false points.

I remember the plays. Hagan played good, Jones played ok with some bad drops/tips and some where he was out of postition including his famous "great play" where he batted down his own pass.

I hope aiken makes it, just because hes strong and reminds me of Moulds out there.

1344108369[/url]' post='2521204']

Evans 78 times, 2 picks (2.6%); 2.8 YAC per reception in 2011 (BLT)

Donald Jones, 42 times, 2 picks (4.7%); highest YAC per reception in 2010(5.2 yds); 3.0 in 2011

Brad Smith, 41 times, 2 picks (4.8%); 4.9 YAC per reception in 2011

Stevie 132 times, 7 picks (5.3%); 2nd highest YAC per reception in 2010(5.0 yds); 4.3 in 2011

Martin 15 times, 1 pick (6.6%) 4.4 YAC per reception in 2011

Nelson 94 times, 7 picks (7.4%); 3.5 YAC per reception in 2011

Roosevelt 26 times, 2 picks (7.6%); 9.3 highest YAC per reception in 2011

Hagan 22 times, 2 picks (9.1%)l 2.1 YAC per reception in 2011

Interesting stats but without looking at the pass and play, they are pretty meaningless, especially for a guy that may have had two picks against them. If one of them they were wide open but the pass was short or tipped or whatever, it would throw that percentage WAY off.

Alright - after a week of camp I am making the following prediction - Donald Jones will not make the team. Everyone has been saying there are 4 locks at WR (Johnson, Graham, Nelson and Jones). IMO, All of Aiken, Hagan and Easley are playing materially better as receivers through camp. The one item going for Jones is may be a better blocking WR, however, he has significant trouble getting open and is often the targeted receiver for the picks thrown by Fitz. This is true not only of camp, but his play in the previous two seasons as well. If the season were to start today Johnson, Graham, Nelson and Hagan are all in. The big question is number 5 - and I think Easley and Aiken both have more upside than Jones... Take it for what its worth. Just my opinion.

Where have you seen that Jones has been outplayed in camp? I don't think I've read any reports that have come out and said that, but I could have just missed them.

Honestly, I'd be stunned if Jones wasn't starting, let alone didn't make the team.

In my opinion, your opinion is poop. Jones is a very good player and is a big part of what the Bills will be doing this year.

see thats the problem with stats. everyone knows hagan outplayed donald jones in his brief time last year. It could be %100 the fault of the QB on any given INT, these stats dont show whos fault it was. Or the game situation. How can you get RAC yards if you catch one in the endzone...or tiptoeing out of bounds? Stats can prove alot of false points.

I remember the plays. Hagan played good, Jones played ok with some bad drops/tips and some where he was out of postition including his famous "great play" where he batted down his own pass.

I hope aiken makes it, just because hes strong and reminds me of Moulds out there.

Someone else who is reminded of Moulds when they see Aiken! I've thought that, too. I scratch my head when it comes to figuring out why certain players end up on the roster and not others. WR group, if it is limited to 5 or 6, should all be able to step in and be relied upon to make plays from anywhere - not just a single type of player. When I watch Aiken I think, this kid can run, catch, and he's got really good size. We should be seeing the best players on this squad, which is always a matter of debate when a guy like Roosevelt is left for the practice squad while Donald Jones is on the field. Roosevelt may be slower, but he makes plays! Either our group of recievers after Stevie and Nelson is really mediocre, or they're all close in talent. I just find it hard to believe we'd have a bunch of mediocre WR's when the rest of the team has been so consciously stocked with talent - which makes me think we've got the talent there, we just need to give them a chance.