Bills Are Never On NFL Total Access

I may sound bitter but does it bother anyone else besides me that by the time I come home from work and sit down and press play on my recorded NFL Total Access episode of the day, I sit through a hour of Jets talk, Cowboys talk, Eagles and Saints talk, even Browns and Bengals talk yet no Bills?...

Oh Tebow had a good day today this, I (Drew Brees) didn't mean anything disrespectful towards the commissioner that...

We get no respect at all man... I pray to God we have a great season this year and knock some heads and sweep the damn Jets so maybe just maybe we'll get a 2 minute spot on Total Access...

I guess we just gotta go out and earn it...

Stevie was on there not long ago...he was actually in studio and offered some good takes. Seems like it's been since the TKO days that we were on there often, though...then again, there are 32 teams...and I sort of like it when nobody sees us comin'. Of course, nobody has seen us coming for like a decade, so I guess not much risk there...but you know what I mean.

Stevie was on there not long ago...he was actually in studio and offered some good takes. Seems like it's been since the TKO days that we were on there often, though...then again, there are 32 teams...and I sort of like it when nobody sees us comin'. Of course, nobody has seen us coming for like a decade, so I guess not much risk there...but you know what I mean.

That's one of my points... Stevie was on there "not too long ago" but long enough that you can't remember... Every single night there's Rex's big tooth face on there showing footage of his press conference... Every night there's some Jerry jones or Dez Bryant news... Like you said there's 32 teams in the league... Either make the show 2 hours long and somehow fit in a little segment for each team or change the name to "NFL's most popular team's Total Access and the other guys"...

You also said it yourself again with "nobody sees us comin" and " \nobody has seen us coming for a decade:... We're obviously not the Giants where the less you talk about us the better we play... We're underdogs and I'm fine with being the underdog, but we're still an NFL team and we have training camp going on just like everyone else... Show some footage is all I'm saying...

I hate it too but what are you going to do. If we were on there, I can't imagine anybody saying anything good about us; just the bad "Bills suck and always will" mentality. Plus what would they say different. You can get any news about the Bills you want by just coming to this website and more. People on TV would only regurgitate what you already now and put a bad spin on it, making it even worse than if they weren't on TV.

Stop and consider how often teams like Jax and Cinci etc get on. The NFL has handful of glamour franchises and they get most if the face time. Everyone else gets scraps.

We'll be on a lot when the season starts, going 19-0.

PTR

This is a weekly theme here and the standard answers are typically:

1) We'll get media attention when we deserve it.

and/or

2) I like that we're under the radar.

Personally, NFL coverage is so piss poor IMO that I really don't care too much.

Every Bills story this preseason by LAZY, UNPROFESSIONAL NFL commentators (virtually all of them, IMO) boils down to this:

Haven't made the playoffs in 13 seasons, Mario Williams blah blah blah… Mark Anderson blah blah blah possible wild card spot

It was almost a shock this morning when Steve Wyche spent two minutes talking about Fitz and David Lee as the reasons for his optimism.

You know btw I really detest laziness… especially when you see the effort fans like us put into our thoughts and compare it to some of the CRAP you see in the media.

This btw, is why Peter King deserves so much credit…. he's a pedestrian writer/thinker at best. But from what I can tell he works about 5 times harder than most of the national guys on the NFL beat.

While it is nice when you hear about the Bills, so often you hear lines from idiots about the "two great tight ends they have up there: Scott Chandler and David Nelson!" Or something like, "Fred Jackson is over 30 he can't play anymore, Spiller will win the job by week three he is the second coming of speed jesus!" At this point in the season what can you say? The media has a very small amount of tape to work with on each team, they just can't come up with much. No new stats yet, no unheralded team starting 3-0 and knocking off the division's best team for the first time in nearly ten years (see what I did there?). All this equals media time spent on teams that are high profile and with issues outside of playing games. people are following the Jests because they are waiting for them to implode. Brees vs Commissioner? That is a good story, like Luke Skywalker (aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?) vs Moff Tarkin (Are Star Wars references dated yet?). Give it time, wait till a few preseason games go down, a couple of juicy injuries (RG3, Christain Ponder, Roethlisberger and the other guy) and you'll be hearing new stories in no time.

Edited by poo

I hate it too but what are you going to do. If we were on there, I can't imagine anybody saying anything good about us; just the bad "Bills suck and always will" mentality. Plus what would they say different. You can get any news about the Bills you want by just coming to this website and more. People on TV would only regurgitate what you already now and put a bad spin on it, making it even worse than if they weren't on TV.

"I" can get my Bills fix on TBD you're 100% right on that... How about non Bills fans? How about fans that just started watching football last year and don't know all the teams yet? I bet you they don't even know we exist... Showing the jests and the cowboys and the saints all the time is just like how DJ's play the same song rotation on the radio... 1st day you hear it you say, Oh my God this song is trash, then by the 105th time you hear it you already downloaded the ringtone cuz now it's "your jam"... Those new viewers become jests, cowboys and saints fans by default cuz that's all they know...

"I" can get my Bills fix on TBD you're 100% right on that... How about non Bills fans? How about fans that just started watching football last year and don't know all the teams yet? I bet you they don't even know we exist... Showing the jests and the cowboys and the saints all the time is just like how DJ's play the same song rotation on the radio... 1st day you hear it you say, Oh my God this song is trash, then by the 105th time you hear it you already downloaded the ringtone cuz now it's "your jam"... Those new viewers become jests, cowboys and saints fans by default cuz that's all they know...

+1

The first week of training camp I tuned into NFLN training camp live hoping to see an update from various teams, including the Bills. It was the first day of camp and I believe only 11 teams camps had opened. I figured, since it wasn't every team starting camp on the same day, NFLN would be able to give an update from every team. Hell it was a 3 hour show, about training camps. Well I sat through the entire show and not only did they not cover the Bills, they didn't do any coverage with about 7 other teams as well. It was 3 hours of Broncos camp(Peyton Manning), Redskins camp(Bob Griffins first day) and Packers camps. It got super boring after about 30 mins, so why not go to othe camps???? Day 2 coverage was nearly identical.

What annoys me is that the NFLN is owned by the NFL, which has 32 teams in it, correct me if I'm wrong. Shouldn't they be trying to "sell" the entire league,not just the relevent teams. It stands to reason that NFLN is for hardcore fans anyways, so why the hell wouldn't you cover every team? Sorry, I don't buy that whole "when we start winning...." statement. That statement applys to national media and ESPN, not a station run for diehard NFL fans by the NFL.

+1

The first week of training camp I tuned into NFLN training camp live hoping to see an update from various teams, including the Bills. It was the first day of camp and I believe only 11 teams camps had opened. I figured, since it wasn't every team starting camp on the same day, NFLN would be able to give an update from every team. Hell it was a 3 hour show, about training camps. Well I sat through the entire show and not only did they not cover the Bills, they didn't do any coverage with about 7 other teams as well. It was 3 hours of Broncos camp(Peyton Manning), Redskins camp(Bob Griffins first day) and Packers camps. It got super boring after about 30 mins, so why not go to othe camps???? Day 2 coverage was nearly identical.

What annoys me is that the NFLN is owned by the NFL, which has 32 teams in it, correct me if I'm wrong. Shouldn't they be trying to "sell" the entire league,not just the relevent teams. It stands to reason that NFLN is for hardcore fans anyways, so why the hell wouldn't you cover every team? Sorry, I don't buy that whole "when we start winning...." statement. That statement applys to national media and ESPN, not a station run for diehard NFL fans by the NFL.

Exactly... It's a repeat show of 3 hours (the training camp live show)... Also now they have NFL AM which I record... Not one Bills conversation... So I guess Merriman's minor ankle tweak is not important, and Shep missing a couple of days also isn't important... But Adrien Peterson getting the flu or something ist... I'm just a guy of fairness is all... I'm not mad at the NFL Network or anything I'm too busy with ny day anyway... All i ask for is fairness... The show is definitely being run by the wrong people... I guess its just going to be THAT much sweeter when we become a team that's relevant enough to talk about...

I notice the Giants dont get much time either

Yep. Have noticed that myself. You'd think the defending champs would get more air time.

I'm convinced it's all about ticket sales. I mean, who owns the NFL Network? - the NFL, that's who. So much for objectivity.

The Giants sell out. The Bills sell out.

The Jets are having trouble selling tickets.

The NFL doesn't want to have empty seats for their darlings shown on national TV.

Yep. Have noticed that myself. You'd think the defending champs would get more air time.

I'm convinced it's all about ticket sales. I mean, who owns the NFL Network? - the NFL, that's who. So much for objectivity.

The NFL doesn't want to have empty seats for their darlings shown on national TV.

Ehhh I disagree with you there the teams they're showing are pretty high in terms of attendance, lets not forget the bills have had at least one blacked out game the past 5 years so were not exactly the creme of the crop with ticket sales. Its not like the saints, packers, redskins, or broncos are trying to sell tickets.

heres a good article about ratings - just one of many recent ones ive seen. this is about selling ad dollars. manning and tebow are revenue generators for these shows. mario williams, or fitz just dont have the same pull.

http://deadspin.com/5915810/why-espn-should-worry-about-first-takes-ratings-slide

its just a quick high level discussion of a single show but.... you get the idea why they are grasping at tebow and manning.

"So why are some ESPN suits worried? Perhaps because "debate" hasn't been the silver bullet they thought it would be. In fact, sift the numbers a little and First Take's rise looks like something else: a miracle wrought by Tim Tebow.

The show's biggest spikes in the past six months came during the week of Jan. 9 and the week of March 19. What happened during those two weeks? Well, Jan. 9 (average of 478k viewers, according to Nielsen) was right after the Broncos' OT playoff victory over the Steelers—the Tebow-to-Demaryius Thomas game—and the lead-up to the divisional playoff matchup against the Patriots. And March 19 (average of 465k viewers) was the week Peyton Manning signed with Denver, and Tebow was sent off to the Jets."

In the internet age who the hell turns on the teevee for Bills coverage? I'm 700 miles away from the Ralph and get more than my fill between this forum, a handful of blogs and the Bills own site. Who cares if Andrew Siciliano isn't covering us? Not me.

If they are ignore 80 percent of potential viewers teams because they want to hit on the same things that espn and every other network news channel is hitting on, think they are missing the boat. The whole reason allot of people thought they wanted to get NFL network added to their cable package is to get info on all the teams, not just what's hot at moment. Think they are really missing the point of having an NFL Network and that is why their ratings are going so low. Personally I watched NFL Network a ton first year had it, by 2nd year was only watching it occasionally, and by 3rd year stopped watching it all together as they have added nothing that can't get anywhere else IMO, but with worse announcers.

If they are ignore 80 percent of potential viewers teams because they want to hit on the same things that espn and every other network news channel is hitting on, think they are missing the boat. The whole reason allot of people thought they wanted to get NFL network added to their cable package is to get info on all the teams, not just what's hot at moment. Think they are really missing the point of having an NFL Network and that is why their ratings are going so low. Personally I watched NFL Network a ton first year had it, by 2nd year was only watching it occasionally, and by 3rd year stopped watching it all together as they have added nothing that can't get anywhere else IMO, but with worse announcers.

heres the thing though.... most people still watch the mannings and tebows..... unless they are winning (which we havent done yet) most people do not watch the jacksonvilles, buffalo, cincy, KC, SD, St louis, Detroit, cleveland, etc.... the same couldve been said about the saints pre-brees, and now they are a team everyone is sick of.

sure, fan bases will check in for their own teams, but its a minority of the viewership in comparison to the other topics. tebow running in the rain for the 17th time just pulls numbers that make it hard for the execs to stop putting it on for the 18th and 19th when compared to other topics.

think about the article i posted - first take spiked ridiculously when tebow got the nod to start, his playoff game was massive for the entire week and then the manning/tebow movement in march had higher ratings than their superbowl coverage, any other playoff week, etc....

well it may not make for good "news coverage" it certainly is good business for espn currently. until fans flock to a good alternative, or turn off the tebow coverage.... its going to stay the same.

Edited by NoSaint

I may sound bitter but does it bother anyone else besides me that by the time I come home from work and sit down and press play on my recorded NFL Total Access episode of the day,

You work all freak-ink day and ya come home to the TeeVe and ya sit down in your chair and ya turn on your NFL Total Access episode and not one minute about the the Bills??!!

I hear you man.

Look, if Tebow was on the Bills roster it would still be all about Tebow--in Buffalo.