Bills National Media Alert

eball

Heads up for those with satellite radio -- Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan from SiriusXM's "Movin' the Chains" are broadcasting from Bills' camp today from 3-7 p.m. EST.

Recaps, etc., from anyone able to listen will be much appreciated!

^ there's an app for that...

They're saying lots of good stuff - way too much to recap though. I will say this, I love Dave Wannstedt, just listening to the guy's smarts you really feel that the D is going to be better!

^ there's an app for that...

They're saying lots of good stuff - way too much to recap though. I will say this, I love Dave Wannstedt, just listening to the guy's smarts you really feel that the D is going to be better!

So are they buying what the Bills are doing or are they still worshiping at the church of Rex and Billy Bellicheat?

PPTR

So are they buying what the Bills are doing or are they still worshiping at the church of Rex and Billy Bellicheat?

PPTR

They are buyers. Lots of talk about how the Bills 2nd string D line is starting caliber; Kirwan loves the depth there. Kirwan kept asking guys if they'd be able to manage the high expectations -- to a man they said almost the same thing; namely, everyone is so hungry that nobody is buying into the hype. They want to win, and Gailey keeps them grounded.

Here's the other thing -- I listened to interviews with Chandler, Stevie/Fitz (they were on together), Gailey, Wanny, Wood, Kyle Williams -- these are all really good guys. You can tell they genuinely like and respect each other, and they are competitive. I think Kirwan and Ryan are impressed.

Kirwan is a big David Nelson fan, and thinks he's a "wild card" in this offense.

Ryan said Carrington "couldn't be blocked" in the one-on-ones. Ryan also had high praise for the OL.

Kirwan just said the Bills have a "good" problem in that they're going to have to make decisions and cut players who CAN play in this league -- and you haven't heard that said about the Buffalo Bills in a long time.

Chan was great -- typical Chan. He made fun of everyone asking him about who the #2 WR is, because they are in 3- or 4-wide so much he's not worried about finding ONE guy to be a #2. He needs a group he's comfortable with and he thinks he has that. Provided some great insight on playing the spread to create creases for the run game.

Ron Brooks got a lot of play; seems to be impressing the observers.

Just a fun afternoon of hearing our Bills as the center of attention. Supposedly Buddy will be on shortly, and then Gailey again.

They are buyers. Lots of talk about how the Bills 2nd string D line is starting caliber; Kirwan loves the depth there. Kirwan kept asking guys if they'd be able to manage the high expectations -- to a man they said almost the same thing; namely, everyone is so hungry that nobody is buying into the hype. They want to win, and Gailey keeps them grounded.

Here's the other thing -- I listened to interviews with Chandler, Stevie/Fitz (they were on together), Gailey, Wanny, Wood, Kyle Williams -- these are all really good guys. You can tell they genuinely like and respect each other, and they are competitive. I think Kirwan and Ryan are impressed.

Kirwan is a big David Nelson fan, and thinks he's a "wild card" in this offense.

Ryan said Carrington "couldn't be blocked" in the one-on-ones. Ryan also had high praise for the OL.

Kirwan just said the Bills have a "good" problem in that they're going to have to make decisions and cut players who CAN play in this league -- and you haven't heard that said about the Buffalo Bills in a long time.

Chan was great -- typical Chan. He made fun of everyone asking him about who the #2 WR is, because they are in 3- or 4-wide so much he's not worried about finding ONE guy to be a #2. He needs a group he's comfortable with and he thinks he has that. Provided some great insight on playing the spread to create creases for the run game.

Ron Brooks got a lot of play; seems to be impressing the observers.

Just a fun afternoon of hearing our Bills as the center of attention. Supposedly Buddy will be on shortly, and then Gailey again.

Thanks for the summary.

Chan on...

How do you check the toughness card limited with practices?

It's hard, try to determine it with few sessions... we used to scrimmage all the time, go live on goal line, you just can't do that anymore. so what your'e faced with is 1 on 1 pass rush and some inside drills and see who's going ot hang in there and take it out.

(talking about back in the day, two a days and TC being much harder by host)

you don't get that gut check in our game, you had to want it to play it. ... now you invest so much money in sundays you have to know who you have out there to play with.

Nelson

he made a lot of plays, i think he'll make al ot of plays this year. He is a big player, and he is a good blocker, you have to treat him like a TE. He is a mismatch on a LB and a S on his side. We have created a good problem for other teams

Graham

Sure looks like he can run said host: Don Jones is a guy that started strong last year and got hurt, 3rd or 4th game blablabal, high ankle, never the same but i have high hopes for him. we got a really young player that has not been on the player for two years and missed both seasons, you mentioned graham, roosevelelt has played spot duty, hagan really played pretty well.. (emphasisd REALLY).

everyone asks who #2, we know who #1 is, we need a combination of 2 3 4, we don't have to have 1 guy, we don't want to have a combination of 1 te and 2 backs, we have a te that we think will be productive, we'vell be just fine

Fitz: host: Eli manning in 2010 is what host is reminded of by Fitz. Eli fixed, lets hope fitz fixes

Don't take sacks, don't take turnovers. I think if we can win the turnover and sack battel we give ourselves a great chance to push towards a chanpionship. i think we were behind so fitz knew we had to take chances throwing it all over the place. if the game ...was closer... he wouldn't have.

silent count, no huddle?!

you see it in indy, you'll see it in denver. you see it in NE, its great for us, allows fitz to see where eveyone is, we can go quick snap....we can change tempo. offense has advangtages, when and where. put it in diff zones. we seldom work on tempo- thats what no huddle does, it changes the tempo of the game

Fred and CJ and run game

Its the one thing that gets over llooked, we really believe we can run the football in 3 wide and 4 wide. the defenseive players have become so much bigger stronger and faster that the field shrunk, so we have to spread'm out to cover decoys or at least line up on someone, so we get lanes.

*makes reading blitzs easier.

it exactly does, you can see who is coming

Wannstadt:

you know this s the third time i worked under someone is now working with me. i've been fortunate its with great people. no exception, it wouldn't work unless he is a great guy, humna being etc etc. he didn't work out in miami, we needed change and we got him, blessed and thankful

preseason: will you handle them differently? stars play more?

no, we got certain guys that have to make the field that first ball game. but you don't want to expose them too much. fine line coaches walk every time

Eric Wood: compared to a bunch of players who got rehurt with similar injuries the last few days.

extremely careful, those guys .themedical team has got so good atwhat they do, pushing on 320 lbs. guys is a totally different thing, trying to be smart, don'tk now when he'll be back but he'll bin individual, today, but 1 on 1s and not rush it.

cordy glenn

not there yet, don't need to cancel his practices

merriman

ankles been tweaked, ota's boy he looked close to what he used to be. if he only plays 15-20 snaps a game rev it up before 60 snaps a game will be great for him and could be great for us

talent on roster

we kept most of thep layers the ,last few years, we have built in depth, we don't feel like we're in bad shape

Wow, he just put it all out there. For you new people who want to complain about spelling, if you do it I will not do this again. Everything typed is a quote. I do this to give everyone an idea what is going on, and for fun. I do not rewind to get things, otherwise i'd be here for hours.

Nix:

H: how does team look?

we're better, deeper more talent, thats what we're tyring to get to, talent at every postiion. got close to it.

h: depth was an issue, great start, now i see depth, i see backups that can play, as gailey said, there are guys with experience here

we have three or four leaders that could have stoped a 7 game losing streak but they were all hurt, kwilliams, wood, wilson. the head on the snake got htem back and some depth to go with them.

h: a player no one talks about. dickerson, his path getting here, playing hback, didn't look like there was anyone stying with him

he's got great speed but the way he got here was he got cut twice on the street didn't even get signed as a Fa, he plaed for Wannstadt, we got looking for a guy as a mismatch at FB,HB, couldn't find one, finally dave said this guy this guy blew the top of f the combine, brought him in to tryout, we kept him and he will have agood chance

h: the draft picks, fruits of spring, cordy glenn, and also wnat oyu to talk about ron brooks, three palyers asked all said ron broks

i went to lsu and timed him, he runs 4.3 he's a fierce competitor, got caught up, hurt, bunch of good guys playing, didn't get his job back, someone else got his job and he got hurt in the league, he could have started every team in the country. nickel back or in the back, could be both

h: cordy glenn, so many solid skillsets, size atheleticism, he may not even win the job

yeah he does, he'll battle to the last day for the job, i think he th reason he dropped one of the draft guru said hewas a G. ...

i wont' name the guy who started it, but he may prove to be right, we never looked at him for G, he played 60 games at LT, he's a huge man i couldn't find a reason he couldn't play. good feet, good balance, didn't know for sure his temperment, nothing rattles, he don't say a word, goes back snaps it again, he's really come on. he's had a good camp

h: i think he can play guard as well as anyone in the country, like carl nix.

pressure of being in no hjuddle, wihtout security of huddle that may be where he meets crossroad

at least he's got leivret squared away, we didn't it last year with hairston, crhsi played well last year, he may win the job, but its a good battle there

h: tj graham more then a fast guy

two things about him we were unsure about, he catches the ball quick in transistion, once he gets it he becomes ar unner turns it up field.

h: merriman, hit sled faster then anyone, team drills he dropped up and whittled his way down middle, even with little injury he looks to me like recovered

i think he has, the thing we think sets him back, we think we can get him healthy without surgery, we took the shortcut and it didn't work we had him fixed, i think he's healthy

h: gilmore .. as good as adverstised?

we didn't stutter a bit at 10, he's another guy that has a good solid background that played in the SEC that stareted every game of his career, he gets beat and he lines up and goes again, right in hip pockets

h: mcgee

talked to him today, we had a plan you know how coaches are, with he troup and wood, we will be pateitn work them a little it and more tomorrow

and after about 3 or 4 days of praceice we are all raising hell because they can't do everything, he's a little scheduled, a big asset for us, and we're shooting for with those guys is sept 9th.

h: you need to have the patience, dont' want to listen to anyone else. last cuts, evaluate toughness, and good players might have to go. last year he'd have madei t

absolutely we were looking ofr 53, now we think we'll cut someone who will go somewhere and play good.

h: 1 on 1's, levitre, pass protection was solid, both G's and C.

Big ol JoeD if they stay with him they'll get better.

h: if i took your roster and asked hwo is the worst starter. erik pears, but you watch him and how he competes, all of us who watch and dont' see him don't see what you see

blue collar worker, huge man, tell you he was on the street, got an opportunity, thought it was the last one, asked him to get bigger stronger, quite guy and has a mean streatk and plays with one

h: donald jobnes, easley

they've had good camps, bitten down a little bit, donald is faster then anyone thinks he is, strong guy, he's going to be a good player for us. right now is our #2. easley jury is out, hee has never been eveything but work as hard as he can work, been the most unlucky guy i've seen, had 2 season IR...

h:thigpen too the twos, VY threes. how does that work

VY had the twos yesterday, we do that at LT position and at QB, we gon give'm the equal number of snaps and see who comes out.

Gilmore:

h:Corner, SC, whats up?

Going pretty good, competing with great WR's we have and a great QB we have, trying to learn every day

h: you were a QB in HS, took off to USC and played a lot

I think it is more a mental part of it, you have to focus every play, a lot of great WR's 1 mistake they can beat you.

h: nix said you make a mistake you get back up, handle advesity.first few times you got beat, how hard were

i am not hard on myself, can't affect the next plays, i put behind me, i learn from it, sj beat me, but he taught me something during the play

h: play installation, i better stay on top of it, isi t hard

it's not hard to me, kind of what we did in colege, but not really we have a lot of checks so i have to study, i'm up front of it

h: landmarks, pedigree as a QB

i know what the QB is looking at, kind of bluff what i am doing, i learned a lot in hs playing QB it's helping me now

h: when beat by SJ13 do you go to them and say what did i do, the way i lined up, indicatoins...

yes, i asked SJ one time i think he beat me 1 time how do he know where the ball going to go, back shoulder or deep, depends where he at, and where fitz throwing the ball, learned to play where the ball at and where his hands are

h: you can only run as fast as they run, you have to switch gears, rookies struggle with that. everyone says cool calm collected, press the best guy:

i think i am beter at prss, i like to get my hands on them, aggressive corner

h: cover 2, run

i think that's good too, haven't ran it much yes, rereoute the guy

h: on your own offense, 1 on 1, no lead

i know what i can do, i know i can hit RB's when i can

h:aggresive as you, game tape from college, the press, guys like to say that guy is really physical, asked stevie, stevies said he can't double move got catch speed

one thing i learned probably during camp you have to give up the shrot routs, stay over top and not give up the big play and play phyiscal

h: any pick? fitz?

yeah, one, i had to dive for it, i hadn't done anything celebration.

h: how many knock downs?

yeah, a few.

h: good, any corner blitzes?

no, not yet me, i look forward to doing it

h: saw it in college, right?

yes sir

h: unsolicitied evey player says ron brooks having good camp

he is playing pretty good, he a nickel back, to me. msart good instincts, he bring a lot to the player, having a great camp

hosts said he is advertised, he matches up against Lloyd, double gronk and welker, need a corner who can handle vertical guy, i think he can handle it. they went on how confident he is but noooooo cockyness.

talked about how they were with the Pats but "it is hard to not have the geneuine excitement for the buffalo bills, a team in progress."

i like their fb team, mark anderson, schedule, mario, 9-7 wildcard. i pick them over the Jets. matching up against the aafcs nfcw. they get those injurines they got more answers this year.

Nice recaps jboyst62!

Just caught the end of the show - clearly both Pat and Tim are impressed with the Bills as a team, but also as an organization. They said there is genuine enthusiasm and that there SHOULD be this year. We're much deeper, have added some good players and have a great staff...

All in all a solid few hours of Bills football!

Bills Camp Wrapup: Ryan, Kirwan, Moving The Chains.

Final 6 or 7 minutes of observations:

They have 4 man rush, a backup 4 man rush that makes a brutal rotation, they won't be gassed in 2 minute no huddle, get their players on the field. I aked myself if the rookies were ready, gilmore clearly ready, glenn has pressure points it is not him, it's the no huddle, the silent count.

they're going to try to be a silent count, you're going to hear an issue, they may change the mike, he'll overcome it, it may not be opening day it'll be a little time to get it started but both will start. and we found more rookies, ron brooks being one of them. they have an interesting nickel, it's more a dime, bryan scott comes in and plays Mike, right in the middle, we really went to 7 db's with Washington

They ran run plays against it, they (offense) did well, Wannstadt will have to fix that.

Not sure who is 2 or 3 and where Smith is, smith threw a rocket down the sideline on his one play ( a pass).

The deep passing game is something critical, behind so many games, i don't think he'd have thrown those balls but if there is two high safetyies can he slam it in that hole, tell me about that deep corner route with Fitz

Eli manning, ryan mallet, tom brady, maybe he is not there, they definately need to add a deep outside threat, the jury is out on if he can throw it, if it is TJ Graham, i was recording everything on the matchups, and he had a couple of times he could not seperate, aaron williams locked up on him did a great job for sure, tj has to learn a little shake if he thinks he's going to just release

i didn't see TJ make some great catches, though.

defensively, probably keep 9 DL, high draft picks, quality guys, but some cuts. MW taking most reps at LDE, Anderson most reps at RDE. very exposive (andersON), he'll hold up in run, spinner package, 4 man front and he drops back walking around, coaches come on and talk about bearing protection against it, a chance to do other stuff, merriman can do it also. came here looking for those answers to set up sets.

gotta like Byrd, splash waiting to happen reminds me of earl thomas, all over the place, steal a route, tried to steal aroute, took out chandler and knocked it down.

Heads up for those with satellite radio -- Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan from SiriusXM's "Movin' the Chains" are broadcasting from Bills' camp today from 3-7 p.m. EST.

Recaps, etc., from anyone able to listen will be much appreciated!

Overall they are impressed...nothing earth shattering...bottom line they will cut players who obviously can play in the nfl...questions regarding Fitz...defense looks good...no predictions...