should we make a play for Mike Wallace

Interestingly (to me anyways) the Steelers let go longtime OC Bruce Arians and hired Tod(d) Haley as their new OC so the Steelers are running a new offense this year.

In other words, Wallace is setting himself up for a uphill challenge if he hopes to have a big year for any team this year.

That's true, I completely forgot about the OC change to Haley.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitz isn't a deep ball QB, nor does he extend the play the way that Roethlisberger does which gives him more time to use his speed to get open. He is the traditional player that has had a good season in a system that fits him perfectly and wants to cash out on it, he will be much less productive elsewhere.

Fitz isn't a deep ball QB, nor does he extend the play the way that Roethlisberger does which gives him more time to use his speed to get open. He is the traditional player that has had a good season in a system that fits him perfectly and wants to cash out on it, he will be much less productive elsewhere.

Id agree Fitz isnt a deep ball QB, but Wallace would completely change the offense. Sure we may not have time for 7 step drop backs, but its going to keep the defense honest. Defense will have to pick a poison, either try and stop the short quick routes and risk getting burned deep by Wallace, or have Wallace even further open up our quick passing game. He's alot different than Evans, Wallace is a burner he alot more physical, and he can go up and get the ball. Think of how well Wallace would complement Stevie. Have a running game to setup the pass, im salivating over an offensive tool like this.

Id agree Fitz isnt a deep ball QB, but Wallace would completely change the offense. Sure we may not have time for 7 step drop backs, but its going to keep the defense honest. Defense will have to pick a poison, either try and stop the short quick routes and risk getting burned deep by Wallace, or have Wallace even further open up our quick passing game. He's alot different than Evans, Wallace is a burner he alot more physical, and he can go up and get the ball. Think of how well Wallace would complement Stevie. Have a running game to setup the pass, im salivating over an offensive tool like this.

I agree!

Most of the posters here just don't get how valuable Wallace (#11) would be to any team with a decent QB! As much as Chan Gailey wants Fitz to throw all game long it certainly makes sense to me to have a valid, sure fire #1 WR on the team. Someone who makes the catch more often, Wallace 72 receptions 113 targets vs Johnson 76 receptions, 135 targets. Opposing teams would go crazy trying to cover both Wallace and Johnson. This would be like when the Bills added James Lofton / Don Beebe to Andre Reed

It was rumored the Bills were supposedly interested in signing Vincent Jackson (#16)so I don't see why they wouldn't go after Wallace who is better then VJ, and way better then Meachem (#66)

The Bills wanted a top WR in free agency or the draft, and they whiffed in free agency. Took a giant leap of faith in the 3rd round by selected a player every other NFL team had graded as a 5th rounder or later. Now think back to all the other gambles the Bills have made over the years with taking players early that other teams had a later grade on. Donte Whitner, JP Losman, John McCargo. TJ Graham hasn't even proven he can make the team, much less a big play when the bullets start to fly for real. The bills don't know what they have in Graham yet, and it sure wouldn't hurt to have another good WR on the roster if they are going to continue to run those 5 WR sets.

""Beyond Stevie Johnson, the Bills don’t have much firepower at receiver. They now could have even less.""

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/28/bills-hold-breath-after-david-nelson-injures-knee/

To me, trading away next years late round #1 pick for a sure fire top ten WR is a no brainer in my book. If the Bills ever want to compete with the Patriots on a full time basis they need to be able to score right along with them, and not count on Brady turning the ball over 4-5 times each game.

I really cant see how anybody here would not be for this. I know our plan is to build through the draft, but the guy is 25years old, he is a young guy who could be a key piece of a franchise for the next 8-10years. add a young dominant receiver with tons of upside and his best years in head of him. we could really be in a position to make some serious playoff runs for a few years.

Maybe the Pats will. Wouldn`t put it past them,to somehow pull it off. Seeya Welker.

Wallace and Welker are very different types of players. Not sure how that would work although Belicheat is a crafty one.

Steelers GM is not going to move him.

My link

Either Colbert is:

1) Telling the truth, or

2) He's lying to drive up the price for Wallace

I wouldn't take his comments at face value anyways.

Pass, yes on paper Wallace is one of the missing pieces our teams needs (Burner Wide Receiver) but having to give up a 1st or at the very least 2nd round pick and give a guy a huge contract (Well Over 10 million a year) when the guy isn't exactly a team player is giving up a lot for a guy.

I think it would be best to see the current receiving options and spend the money to extend Levitre and Byrd. Keep in mind the Bills aren't exactly flushed with cap space although there remains plenty of fat to cut on the roster salary wise.

This thread should be closed IMO because also IMO I'm in love with our WR group... This kid T.J. Graham looks like he might be the real deal... Parrish 2.0 and with height... I've always loved Kamar Aiken and pray he makes the 53 man roster though I highly doubt he does... Also Hagan is looking pretty good and that injury prone guy Easley had his named called again in practice tonight...

My prediction for WR's go like this:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Derek Hagan

6. Marcus Easley

7. Ruvell Martin (Special Teams purposes)

How I would like it to be is:

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Kamar Aiken

6. Derek Hagan

7. Marcus Easley or Naaman Roosevelt... Gotta love Naaman so it's a toss up between injury prone guy yet talented or consistency in Naaman...

This thread should be closed IMO because also IMO I'm in love with our WR group... This kid T.J. Graham looks like he might be the real deal... Parrish 2.0 and with height... I've always loved Kamar Aiken and pray he makes the 53 man roster though I highly doubt he does... Also Hagan is looking pretty good and that injury prone guy Easley had his named called again in practice tonight...

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Derek Hagan

6. Marcus Easley

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Kamar Aiken

6. Derek Hagan

7. Marcus Easley or Naaman Roosevelt... Gotta love Naaman so it's a toss up between injury prone guy yet talented or consistency in Naaman...

I'm not sure being "roscoe parish 2.0" is a good thing...

Aren't you contradicting yourself here. In the first sentence, you write that Fitz isn't a deep ball QB and yet in the 2nd sentence you write that "risk getting burned deep by Wallace".

We already had Lee Evans as the speed burner and we couldn't incorporate him into this offense and was shipped out after a year in the offense, including 12 games with Fitz as the starter. There just was no chemistry there.

Our 2nd WR is really going to be Scott Chandler (Whether we like it or not). Gailey needs to figure out how to use Chandler in the middle of the field and not just in the Red zone.

I agree!

If the Bills ever want to compete with the Patriots on a full time basis they need to be able to score right along with them, and not count on Brady turning the ball over 4-5 times each game.

If the Bills want to compete with the Patriots, they really would need to shorten the game and keep Brady on the sidelines. That plan requires us to run the ball and take time off the clock. You cannot go toe-to-toe with Brady's offense on a regular basis.

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Derek Hagan

6. Marcus Easley

1. Stevie Johnson

2. Donald Jones

3. David Nelson

4. T.J. Graham

5. Kamar Aiken

6. Derek Hagan

I'm puzzled by the Aiken love. He's dressed for 2 games, he's seen the field, 0 receptions. Speed and hands aren't enough, he's gotta run the routes and get open.

On the other hand, in 4 games Hagen has 13 receptions for 138 yds and has looked good in training camp.

The math there looks like Hagan >> Aiken to me.

So educate me: what's he got?

From the talk I've heard from Chix and Nailey it sounds like the discussion on WR is do we keep 5 or 6, not 7.

I don't think Ruvell Martin stays. He was picked up because of WR injuries and his ability to play special teams.

He's been a bit of a penalty generator at inopportune times, and we can now fill that ST role with guys from other positions - White, McKillop, Carder, Corey Mac - who have potential to contribute at a higher level on O or D.

I think you've outlined the answer to the question on Mike Wallace above. We do not make a play for Mike Wallace because we will already be cutting WR who know our system and are regarded as having promise.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here. In the first sentence, you write that Fitz isn't a deep ball QB and yet in the 2nd sentence you write that "risk getting burned deep by Wallace".

We already had Lee Evans as the speed burner and we couldn't incorporate him into this offense and was shipped out after a year in the offense, including 12 games with Fitz as the starter. There just was no chemistry there.

Our 2nd WR is really going to be Scott Chandler (Whether we like it or not). Gailey needs to figure out how to use Chandler in the middle of the field and not just in the Red zone.

If the Bills want to compete with the Patriots, they really would need to shorten the game and keep Brady on the sidelines. That plan requires us to run the ball and take time off the clock. You cannot go toe-to-toe with Brady's offense on a regular basis.

Huge difference between Mike Wallace and Lee Evans, kinda difficult to believe you would even compare the two considering how poorly Evans has played the last few years, Evans last best year was in 2008.

When teams have only one solid WR they become so much easier to defend as opposing defenses roll coverages to that one player. Just what happened last year after Roscoe Parrish went on IR, defenses knew the Bills had nobody even close to Stevie Johnson's ability and its kinda why all the 5 WR sets that Gailey ran last year didn't work very well. Gailey didn't fool anyone with those 4-5 WR sets because no other WR on the roster put any fear into the opposing defense.

Lee Evans garnered enough respect with his deep threat speed that he took some heat off the primary WR. With Evans on the roster in 2010 SJ was #11, without Evans SJ dropped to 19th.Fitz in 2010 441 attempts with 2 less games played vs 569 in 2011, and yet Johnson did better in 2010 with only a few more targets. The reason Johnson did better was Evans as a deep threat was there even if he wasn't used as much.

The reason the Bills couldn't incorporate Evans into the offense is the very same reason TO did't fair all that well in Buffalo. The Bills had some incompetent OC's, poor O line play, not to mention the style of offense they tried to run under Jauron. Even when Fitz took over Evans was more of as diversion as Fitz didn't have time to throw 5-7 deep drop back passes.

Lets get real here, exactly how many NFL teams have been able to shut down Tom Brady and the Patriots offensive machine the last decade, not many. So counting on the defense to shut down Brady, Welker, Gronk is not gonna happen on a regular basis. Then you mention run the ball ... have you been watching Mr I must throw it on every down despite running the ball well in Chan Gailey! Gailey isn't about to change his stripes and build a dominate run game as the man is noted for his 4-5 WR one back spread sets, and even empty backfield sets with only one decent WR.

If Gailey is going to force Fitz to throw play after play it sure does make sense to me to give the guy more then one WR to throw to.

Wouldn't a play for Wallace only be wisest if we were making our run?

I mean if he came up as an FA next year which he just might i would say go for it. But giving up the draft pick too?

This is something the Jets or the dolphins or those nasty ole Patriots might do.

Just doesnt seem to fit the Nix gailey personna at this point. I do think Wallace will be an asset to anyteam that can hurl the deep ball and or fade routes. Lets let TJ develop and see if Fitztastic can do as well throwing to a deep route as he has so far in pratices for an NFL season. Then next season; unleash the hounds. Because i still dont think we have enough quality Rec's on the roster. Potential or otherwise. Better but not enough.

Huge difference between Mike Wallace and Lee Evans, kinda difficult to believe you would even compare the two considering how poorly Evans has played the last few years, Evans last best year was in 2008.

When teams have only one solid WR they become so much easier to defend as opposing defenses roll coverages to that one player. Just what happened last year after Roscoe Parrish went on IR, defenses knew the Bills had nobody even close to Stevie Johnson's ability and its kinda why all the 5 WR sets that Gailey ran last year didn't work very well. Gailey didn't fool anyone with those 4-5 WR sets because no other WR on the roster put any fear into the opposing defense.

Lee Evans garnered enough respect with his deep threat speed that he took some heat off the primary WR. With Evans on the roster in 2010 SJ was #11, without Evans SJ dropped to 19th.Fitz in 2010 441 attempts with 2 less games played vs 569 in 2011, and yet Johnson did better in 2010 with only a few more targets. The reason Johnson did better was Evans as a deep threat was there even if he wasn't used as much.

The reason the Bills couldn't incorporate Evans into the offense is the very same reason TO did't fair all that well in Buffalo. The Bills had some incompetent OC's, poor O line play, not to mention the style of offense they tried to run under Jauron. Even when Fitz took over Evans was more of as diversion as Fitz didn't have time to throw 5-7 deep drop back passes.

Lets get real here, exactly how many NFL teams have been able to shut down Tom Brady and the Patriots offensive machine the last decade, not many. So counting on the defense to shut down Brady, Welker, Gronk is not gonna happen on a regular basis. Then you mention run the ball ... have you been watching Mr I must throw it on every down despite running the ball well in Chan Gailey! Gailey isn't about to change his stripes and build a dominate run game as the man is noted for his 4-5 WR one back spread sets, and even empty backfield sets with only one decent WR.

If Gailey is going to force Fitz to throw play after play it sure does make sense to me to give the guy more then one WR to throw to.

Roscoe Parrish caught 1 pass and got hurt in the 2nd game of the season last year. The lack of him around had nothing to do with the offensive decline that didn't start until Fitz broke his ribs and Jackson and Wood went on IR.