The Olympics Thread | London 2012

UConn James

From swimming to track and field, archery to rowing, synchronized swimming to field hockey, soccer (football) to riflery, who's hot and who's not, from world records to disappointments, from the Opening Ceremony to the Closing Ceremony, post it here.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enamored with the opening ceremonies... so far I get that England is proud of smokestacks,orphanages and scaring children... that and Vladimir Putin flying in a helicopter....

my biggest fear is that within a year we will see 'london opening ceremonies' the musical on Broadway...

Opening ceremony sucks. All sorts of weird, creepy, lame, stupid, pointless, non-event focused material that is ridiculously cheesey. There is a reason that the world doesn't import music from England, most importantly. It SUCKS.

Holy schitt this is bad. Maybe its because China's was so great that this looks so awful. It's just so small scale, requiring the cameras to focus on individuals doing ridiculous things. China's was wonderfully collectivist..they just do that sort of thing much better, its more reflective of their society. This is an incoherent mess.

Edited by joey greco

I am enjoying the Brit version of Glee. How could it get more homo?

The British invasion ring a bell?

I don't like the Beatles or Monkees, but they are important.

Nonetheless, in recent history, Brits have added nothing to popular arts.

Edited by jboyst62

Ummmm...the monkees are American

I am enjoying the Brit version of Glee. How could it get more homo?

I don't like the Beatles or Monkees, but they are important.

Nonetheless, in recent history, Brits have added nothing to popular arts.

Not enamored with the opening ceremonies... so far I get that England is proud of smokestacks,orphanages and scaring children... that and Vladimir Putin flying in a helicopter....

my biggest fear is that within a year we will see 'london opening ceremonies' the musical on Broadway...

As dull as English cuisine.

Don't confuse him with facts. The beatles,rolling stones,yard birds,cream,led zepplen,black sabbah,the who. No need to go on.

The Kinks, too. And Adele is another one who'll never make it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as is usually the case, I don't think it was the best, nor was it the worst. I think the Bond bit would have been better and a lot more fun if it had been Doctor Who themed with the blue police box materializing and the queen and Matt Smith stepping out.

Joboy, I don't know what you were watching. They celebrated a pastoral tradition, then the Industrial Revolution, which was kind of a big deal. The children in bed thing was to highlight major British authors and the connection with the children's hospital that J.M. Barrie (he wrote Peter Pan) donated all of those royalties to. I do believe reading and authorship was a major Brit contribution. Too bad they gave Shakespeare short shrift.... This wasn't going to be Bejing. IIRC they spent over $200M on the Opening. This one had a budget of £26M.

Edited by UConn James

Kazahkstan accidently had the Borat version of their National Anthem played earlier today when they took the field in rehearsal. Doh.

Don't confuse him with facts. The beatles,rolling stones,yard birds,cream,led zepplen,black sabbah,the who. No need to go on.

I hope you and the rest understood I am holding the more recent music as example. At this point I wouldn't call much of what the US has as music, though. Adele, yes, I did forget her.