How is everyone doing?

I've been reading some economic confidence indicators and they've all been heading south, and I came across an article that came to the same conclusion and it just reminded me of my own personal situation. I was in a business that provided me an excellent career, and federal regulations poo poo'd all over it for me and many other of my co workers. I decided I needed to go in a different direction, and since the licenses I have don't really offer me any other opportunities that I can see, I ventured into a new field.

To go back on topic, we have an office of about 40-50 employees, and the first few weeks things seemed to be ok. Over the past month, business has come to a crawl, somehow as a newby in the industry, I'm tops in production but that really isn't saying much because business is practically dead. So the CEO/Owner of the company had a meeting today, and he literally apologized for how slow things are and he had been doing some calling asking other businesses in the field how they've been doing, and they've been reporting the same thing. The mood in the office I can see is quite low, and I can see the owner of the company attempting to put on his best face, so yeah, it's pretty tough.

I guess what I'm wanting to know from other people, how are things out there for you and your business? I know that consumer confidence numbers nationwide are reaching new lows for the year and that for me and the people close to me things are difficult, but is it something that is happening more so on my own personal level, maybe it's just more profound on the new industry I've ventured in to, or is it something broader that maybe some of you are seeing as well.

We are on divert almost daily- divert, when the ED is so full we route emergency pateints to other facilities because we have no beds for them. We have a new 400M building that wil be open on spring 2013... 300+ new beds.....

Healthcare, its the place to be... we literally cannot keep up....

I don't know if that is looked at as a good thing, or a bad thing... depends where you stand I guess!

I've been reading some economic confidence indicators and they've all been heading south, and I came across an article that came to the same conclusion and it just reminded me of my own personal situation. I was in a business that provided me an excellent career, and federal regulations poo poo'd all over it for me and many other of my co workers. I decided I needed to go in a different direction, and since the licenses I have don't really offer me any other opportunities that I can see, I ventured into a new field.

To go back on topic, we have an office of about 40-50 employees, and the first few weeks things seemed to be ok. Over the past month, business has come to a crawl, somehow as a newby in the industry, I'm tops in production but that really isn't saying much because business is practically dead. So the CEO/Owner of the company had a meeting today, and he literally apologized for how slow things are and he had been doing some calling asking other businesses in the field how they've been doing, and they've been reporting the same thing. The mood in the office I can see is quite low, and I can see the owner of the company attempting to put on his best face, so yeah, it's pretty tough.

I guess what I'm wanting to know from other people, how are things out there for you and your business? I know that consumer confidence numbers nationwide are reaching new lows for the year and that for me and the people close to me things are difficult, but is it something that is happening more so on my own personal level, maybe it's just more profound on the new industry I've ventured in to, or is it something broader that maybe some of you are seeing as well.

Not much has changed for me over the last 10+ years

Government contractor...so things get shakier and shakier every time a congresscritter spouts off. But I seem to have found my niche in financial IT systems, which is pretty stable (it's not like the government's going to stop spending money.)

Good times or bad people drink! Just put a new roof on the bar and paid in cash. Nice feelinging able to do that. My paying job just let go three people who refused to get there certs as required on time. Idiots.

We've maintained about the same profit each year for the last 4-5, with 6-7% growth in revenue. We've been able to give 3-5% wage increases since 2008, and significantly more for high performers. Our average secretary makes about 60K/year so people here do well even when getting a 4% raise. Our clients have been squeezing us for more discounts and but as people have left, we've just managed to get more done with fewer people instead of hiring.

Since payroll is our hugest bill, these individual efficiency increases (people are either getting better or basically take a little less time from Facebook/TBD a day and do more work) have been the key to us maintaining our margins in the face of the discounts.

Not sure R&D is slowing significantly in the high tech and pharma industries so I hope we will continue to be OK but we are always on the lookout for slowdowns.

Most of the companies I work with are busy as hell right now and see no sign of slowdown.

Government contractor...so things get shakier and shakier every time a congresscritter spouts off. But I seem to have found my niche in financial IT systems, which is pretty stable (it's not like the government's going to stop spending money.)

I pay your salary? Mother%^&$er.

We've maintained about the same profit each year for the last 4-5, with 6-7% growth in revenue. We've been able to give 3-5% wage increases since 2008, and significantly more for high performers. Our average secretary makes about 60K/year so people here do well even when getting a 4% raise. Our clients have been squeezing us for more discounts and but as people have left, we've just managed to get more done with fewer people instead of hiring.

Since payroll is our hugest bill, these individual efficiency increases (people are either getting better or basically take a little less time from Facebook/TBD a day and do more work) have been the key to us maintaining our margins in the face of the discounts.

Not sure R&D is slowing significantly in the high tech and pharma industries so I hope we will continue to be OK but we are always on the lookout for slowdowns.

Most of the companies I work with are busy as hell right now and see no sign of slowdown.

I pay your salary? Mother%^&$er.

I think it's awesome that JtSP pays his salary.

Someone else made that happen.

Yuuuup. That Chef I had in the Stage Kitchen at the CIA really prepared me for my career and if it weren't for those roads and bridges I'd have $5 more in my pocket every day. !@#$ing tolls. :censored: