Brad Smith..Why is his spot supposedly safe?

1342974901[/url]' post='2510348']

edit: The Jets were 4th in the league in kickoff returns last year at 26.3 yards per return.

The previous year with Brad Smith the Jets were 3rd in the league in kickoff returns at 25.2.

So the Jets yards per kickoff return improved after Brad Smith left for Buffalo, FWIW.

Except Brad Smith averaged 28.6 yards his last year on the Jets with 2 TDs and averaged 30 yards the year before with a 106 yard TD.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like brad smith i think this year they are going to cut kelsey and edwards and maybe even thigpen to save money to sign levitre and byrd to contracts i just hope we sign 1 before the season and designate 1 our franchise tag to the other so we can keep them another year

I didn't want this argument to come up again buy of course since the wildcat is still in the league it will forever be talked about. I'm not denying the fact that Brad Smith was automatic on 3rd downs at all. It's a fact. He was. But....

... And he still was almost invisable. I can see it now, next year we keep Smith for another HOPE that he can become something helpful on offense and we end up losing Byrd or Levitre because we can fit them into the salary cap. Or if we have enough room there's always the Ralph is cheap posters again. Either way, if Smith is on the roster and we lose one of those 2, I would say that's a huge dissapointment to the team and of the F.O. That is all.

Being automatic on third down does not make one invisible. Not that anyone throws out of it, but the wildcat is predicated on the THREAT/POSSIBILITY of a pass. Smith can sell that better than FJ/CJ. That's why he was automatic as you say. The mere threat of using the wildcat forces teams to gameplan for it, taking valuable time away from the opponents primary attack.

Original, huh? ....riiiiight!

Except Brad Smith averaged 28.6 yards his last year on the Jets with 2 TDs and averaged 30 yards the year before with a 106 yard TD.

And what did Smith average with the Bills last year? How did the 7th round DB do in kick returns for the Bills last year?

My point was that the Jets' yards per return improved after he left… so what conclusions can we draw?

Being automatic on third down does not make one invisible. Not that anyone throws out of it, but the wildcat is predicated on the THREAT/POSSIBILITY of a pass. Smith can sell that better than FJ/CJ. That's why he was automatic as you say. The mere threat of using the wildcat forces teams to gameplan for it, taking valuable time away from the opponents primary attack.

Original, huh? ....riiiiight!

I read this all the time and wonder why people don't realize that practicing the wildcat also takes valuable time away from the Bills' offensive gameplan. And how hard is it for another team to plan for the Bills' version of the wildcat? They know he's going to run 95% of the time.

I can understand the posts above about Smith keeping a roster spot because he can back up so many positions. That's legitimate. The wildcat is not.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-statistics.html

In 2 less returns (13 to 15) Justin Rogers averaged 10 yards more per return than Brad Smith, 28.7 vs 18.8.

Watching him last year, my eyes told me that Smith isn't that great a return man. The only caveat being that the kickoffs were moved up and maybe that hurt him more than it would hurt a more quick-twitch athlete.

Trying to be fair here.

1342978980[/url]' post='2510375']

And what did Smith average with the Bills last year? How did the 7th round DB do in kick returns for the Bills last year?

My point was that the Jets' yards per return improved after he left… so what conclusions can we draw?

I don't think it proves anything whatsoever that the team's average improved when he left when he himself averaged far more than the team did either year when he was there. All it really proves is the other guys who returned kicks were way worse than him.

Last year he was terrible on returns. There is no denying it. With the new rules it changed for a lot of teams and individuals. The Bills put restrictions on the returners. The blocking at the beginning of the year on the Bills was abysmal, but Smiths style of running slow, waiting for a lane and exploding through it with his burst and speed completely backfired. The lanes didn't open and as a result he looked slow and tentative. Then he started looking unconfident and sluggish. After half the season, DeHaven seemed to have adjusted the blocking and when Justin Rogers was put in and his style of run as fast as you can whether there is a lane or not worked significantly better.

Reasons for keeping Smith

1. He is a vet player who simply has shown the ability to play an unusal number and combination of positionspositions and be judged good enough by coaching professionals and the marketplace to be good enough to even merit a role as a starter at some of them. Sure, argue against him if you want claiming he sucks, but the simple facts are he was judged the Bill best capable of starting 5 games last year (mostly as a WR). Even if you want to argue that this was not due to Smith being an accomplished WR (he has not been in his 7 year career) but he was the best the Bills could do after we got rid of perennial NON-#1 Lee Evans. This off-season the Bills have not devoted the resources to acquire a good bet to merit the #2 WR posirion and join Stevie Johnson as a starting WR. Is Smith a great WR? nope. Is he even an adequate #2. Nope.

However, might he like last year end up being the best option for the Bills at #2 WR? We hope not, but he easily might be. One hopes Graham may prove to be a solid player (the Bills traded up for him like they seemingly hope he will be). One hope that Easley will suddenly prove to be a good plan B if Graham happens to play like the rookie he is. One hopes that if hopes fail and both A and B do not work that Donald Jones will prove to be the player we have as a starter at WR on our depth chart (maybe this is actually plan A).

However, it does not take much of a football brain th envision that the answer to the question which led this thread is that it is easy to imagine a world in which due to injuries and/failure to perform like a talented vet happens to the rookie Graham, the oft-injured Easley, the yet to perform in the real world Jones, or the young talented Nelson (we need chemistry with Fitzy to be the wildcard here) that the best the Bills can do at #2 WR is Smith.

Doubtful, he will be good enough, but pretty clearly the plan D or E that might be the best Gailey can do.

2. Most amazingly and unusal to the point of being unique, this potential bad QB was productive as a kick returner as recently as season before last. You can argue if you want that he sux as a KR guy, but the facts still remain that he was second in the NFL in KR yardage in 2010 and scored 3 KR TDs. Even more outrageous, Smith routinely plays this diverse role led by his KR duties and has for the most part escaped injuries (he usually plays 15 or 16 games and 13 one year is the worst PT performance in his 7 year career. He is the ONLY player in ALL of NFL history to score TDs as a rusher, receiver, KR guy. He has even thrown a TD pass and add to that his actually completing passes as long as 45+ yards as a QB.

Is he a #1 level starter at QB? NOPE! Does he preaent a credible threat that he MIGHT throw a nice pass on any given play unless your CBs and safties play back rather than pinch the line against the almost certainty he will run? Yep! You gotta be nuts to be a DC that does not at least play against the possibility that Smith will hit an uncovered receiver for a big play if you decide to instead pinch the line against his likely run. The main problem we had with the Wildcat last year was that the O was not productive enough to give us enough chances to use it. Smith, despite heavy reliance on him as a KR by the Jets in 2010 and by us as a WR last year made no fumbles for us last year and only one despite his productivity as a KR guy in 2010.

I mean be honest and how many disaster QBs contribute to his team by being credited with 2 ST tackles. This is why the market rewarded him with the huge contract he earned from the Bills. Is Smith god's gift to football? NOPE! However, is his flexibility and producriviry a gift which can be easily refused by an HC/OC,DC, and STC. NOPE to that as well.

3. In addition to being not a bad depth player (plan B at KR, plan C at QB, plan B-D at WR depending how good his teammates prove to be, and even as a kamikaze tackler on ST) he also has shown in terms of real world production (#2 in the NFL in return yardage in 2010, same amount of receptions for slightly more yards overall than the guy who is a starting WR on our depth chart, an HC would really need to ignore a lot of real world performsnce by him to cut him.

While he is NOT the starter you want to rely on at any position he does provide some hope of actually making his team more prodctuve at a number of particular positions. I am hopeful that he will be the potential threat which Gailey employs in order to make our O such a threat he makes standard plays work better. My guess is that at some point this season we see Brad Smith attempt (and likely complete) a pass to an uncovered Fitzpatrick or Moorman.

Think about what you do as a DC besides hope your field general burns a TO when VY and Brad Smith both take the field on a 3rd and intermediate distance. If Smith lines up as the Wildcat QB but then goes in motion. Do you send an LB with him out wide and thus face a potential run by VY on a direct snap with a hole in your run D or instead do you let Brad Smith go wide alone as you keep your LBs in to guard against the likely run.

Given his real world production in a number of roles as an NFL player and given his demonstrated ability to appear in 15 or all 16 games in a season despite his use in kamikaze ST roles AND his demonstrated reliability in not fumbling much (or at all many seasons an HC would simply be showinf stupidity unless he found a productive role for Smith in his offense.

Given that I know Chan Gailey has forgotten more than I or most non-professionals will ever even learn about co-ordinating a successful NFL O I will am quite comfortable with the idea Smith is safe as a Bill.

I doubt he will be perfect, but he makes our O easily.

To propose there is no role for him here is merely a demonstration of how little most fans know about running an NFL O.

It is rude of me but i have not read the whole post.

Because this an astounding perspective from our Hplarrm.

In summation Brad is actually an asset to Chan especially. But i respect him as a player for being a rare indeed jack of all trades.

It does fall to coach Gailey to make the most of Brad this year and do not be surprised if we are causing hair pulling by Defensive coordinators this season.

I like Brad on the team meself.

Brad's strengths and weaknesses aside, I think we need to remember that the #3 QB is no longer a lesser version of the #2 QB. The #3 is a special roster spot - someone who gets to go out on the field even though they are not counted against your active total. So you want someone versatile in the #3 QB spot who can contribute in ways other than QB.

My opinion is that Smith filled that role nicely, He ran the wildcat, returned some kicks and played WR for us in 2011. Most guys around the league who filled the #3 QB roster spot on Sunday contributed far less. In fact, most did nothing at all.

I doubt if Smith will ever be the #2. If one of the top two quarterbacks gets seriously hurt, the Bills will find a street FA to be the new #2 and Smith will keep his spot as the #3. I believe from things Chan and Buddy have said, they're really looking at the #3 as a special position.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-statistics.html

In 2 less returns (13 to 15) Justin Rogers averaged 10 yards more per return than Brad Smith, 28.7 vs 18.8.

Watching him last year, my eyes told me that Smith isn't that great a return man. The only caveat being that the kickoffs were moved up and maybe that hurt him more than it would hurt a more quick-twitch athlete.

Trying to be fair here.

With the sample size so small.... One missed tackle on Rogers or wrong cut by smith can account for a lot of that gap. Rogers looked better but.... It just was so few returns for each.

Edited by NoSaint

I have now read all. Very good writing folks. and well received here.

i will mention offsides #36 comment though. I think we will have a viable and hopefully respected pass threat this year in the wildcat. i am still leaning we could see a VY BS on the field at the same time. And also even though he has said NO NO NO, Chan might line up VY as the wildcat once or twice..

gotta pass to respect the run He said with a gleam in his eye!

edit: The Jets were 4th in the league in kickoff returns last year at 26.3 yards per return.

The previous year with Brad Smith the Jets were 3rd in the league in kickoff returns at 25.2.

So the Jets yards per kickoff return improved after Brad Smith left for Buffalo, FWIW.

Im not surprised. I've never understood the Brad Smith move. As far as kickoff returns go, I would rather have Terrence, Leodis, TJ Graham or Gilmore do that job and I think they would do better than Brad all day long.

As far as WR goes, we have some bubble guys like Aiken and Easley that I'd rather have make the team and see them develop and if Brad takes one of their spots we could lose a potential solid young WR.

As far as the Wildcat goes, we are the only NFL team with two RB's that averaged over 5 yards per carry last year, and my understanding of the wildcat is that it's only effective if the defense thinks you might throw out of it once in awhile, which we don't. So now it's simply a direct snap play to a runner.

If the game is on the line and you need two yards, wouldn't you rather have the ball in Fred Jackson's hands?

The versatility argument is weak because we have solid talent in the skill positions that Brad Smith plays. I agree with the OP here, and I don't think Nix cares if he looks bad or not, if Brad isn't sharp in training camp he might be gone.

Brad's strengths and weaknesses aside, I think we need to remember that the #3 QB is no longer a lesser version of the #2 QB. The #3 is a special roster spot - someone who gets to go out on the field even though they are not counted against your active total. So you want someone versatile in the #3 QB spot who can contribute in ways other than QB.

My opinion is that Smith filled that role nicely, He ran the wildcat, returned some kicks and played WR for us in 2011. Most guys around the league who filled the #3 QB roster spot on Sunday contributed far less. In fact, most did nothing at all.

I doubt if Smith will ever be the #2. If one of the top two quarterbacks gets seriously hurt, the Bills will find a street FA to be the new #2 and Smith will keep his spot as the #3. I believe from things Chan and Buddy have said, they're really looking at the #3 as a special position.

yeah, what he said. exactly. super post.

I didn't want this argument to come up again buy of course since the wildcat is still in the league it will forever be talked about. I'm not denying the fact that Brad Smith was automatic on 3rd downs at all. It's a fact. He was. But.... Just because he was automatic doesn't mean he should take up a roster spot. The unknown information is that a handoff to Fred Jackson or CJ probably would have been just as automatic as most of Smiths 1st downs were for 2-3 yards or less and Ch and Fred had over a 5 yard average. Of you want to argue that the wildcat is still effective, I will argue that Smity is not needed for the formation. Again, Cj, Jackson, Young could be just as effective in the formation. I just see having Smith in the roster as a 3rd QB. It's pointless and it's a waste of $16m of roster space. If you or anyone else had the choice of keeping Smith and letting go of Levitre or Byrd after this year, what would you pick? That's potentially what could happen at the offseason next summer. Smith had the 2nd best statistical year of his career last year..... Wow!!! The 2nd best of his career?!?! And he still was almost invisable. I can see it now, next year we keep Smith for another HOPE that he can become something helpful on offense and we end up losing Byrd or Levitre because we can fit them into the salary cap. Or if we have enough room there's always the Ralph is cheap posters again. Either way, if Smith is on the roster and we lose one of those 2, I would say that's a huge dissapointment to the team and of the F.O. That is all.

Where do I start with this?

Just bc a back averages 5 ypc doesn't mean they will get that on 3rd and short and I can't imagine you think that's the case

I didn't get the Brad Smith signing but there is a threat of a pass with him which can be just enough to increase the odds of converting on 3rd n short

I am not a fan of the wildcat n would rather they just lineup and play their offense instead of a gimmick offense that takes your QB out of he equation

Brad is an ok 4th WR that can pay QB in an emergency and come in and get a key first down if needed which is why he will be on the team but his roster spot will have ZERO impact on Levitre or Byrd. Why you would assume it even might is just dumb

its 'chuddly' and i dont think it has anything to do with justifying the signing

others have answered the question satisfactorily so lets just review

1). smith actually saves roster spots by serving in at least three possible roles

c). smith was incredible on third downs. they only stopped using him in that role bcuz he had to concentrate on wr after all the injuries hit

Ω). smiths value as a kr was severely blunted by the new kickoff rules, not bcuz he suddenly sucked at kick returning

). smith and the rest of the offense didnt get a full camp/preseason to properly prepare for chans wizardry, thus the packages were basic and immature. with a full offseason they will be able to run a much more sophisticated and tailored package

/question

No questions. Just a few comments. I'm openly anti Wildcat and I fly that flag all day long. I'm also more on the side of the fence that's anti Smith. So I'll be the argument against the pro Smith/Wildcat people. To comment on your points.

1. I'll give you the multiple positions point. Not just because of the multiple positions but because of the new rule for the 3rd QB on gamedays. He's an extra player dressed and that's a good thing.

2. I somewhat agree with his success (if that's what you or anyone else wants to call it) on 3rd downs. As I've said, I don't disagree that he wasn't effective running the ball out of the wildcat but it's a 90% chance that when he's on the field it's a run up the middle and he barely gets the first down. Defenses know this, coaches know this, hell, even fans know this watching on TV. It's no secret. Are we to believe that Smith is a better ballcarrier than CJ or Freddy?probably not, so why would we use him and not them? Even if in the same formation the RBs should be better. If there's the argument about the threat of BS throwing the ball, he threw once last year and it was so horrible you should just pay an average fan $50 to go out there and toss a ball 15 yards away from any player on the field. And then I'll make the comment that because we all know it's a run up the middle then having the RBs run it out of a "normal" formation it at least gives a chance of a pass from Fitz and defenses have to respect that. They don't respect BS throwing at all.

3. As far as his lack of performance on kick returns and blaming the change in rules is pure bulls%#t. The fact that he was hindered by lack of time on the team and training camp time is also bull%#t. If it were true then why did the Jwts get better on return yardage after BS left (thank you SJBF). If tuatvwas true then why is it that a rookie (Rodgers) with the same amount of training in camps as BS outperform him no sweat? The experience on the team and the change in rules holds no water because the Jets and Rodgers both proved this to be wrong.

4. I really hope your right about this offseason being more sophisticated in the package and I hope Lee helps with this. I still think the formation is a gimmick and is a joke only because it leaves no options. BS or almost ANY player in the NFL set for this position is going to run and not throw. It doesn't fool anyone and hasn't since the first year it was introduced by the Phins. With no real threat to throw accurately it's just not effective.

In the end, if it works this year and we play it to perfection I'll eat crow with no salt, pepper or hot sauce. I'll do it gladly too. I really hope I'm wrong. But if we lose either Byrd or Levitre because we don't have enough money to go around and this guy has another year that doesn't open eyes then I'll be extremely pissed. I think most would. I don't even want to get into the posts this site will get into next offseason when we let one of these guys hit the FA market meanwhile BS is cozy in the Bills locker room taking up not only a roster spot but $4m a year.

No questions. Just a few comments. I'm openly anti Wildcat and I fly that flag all day long. I'm also more on the side of the fence that's anti Smith. So I'll be the argument against the pro Smith/Wildcat people. To comment on your points.

1. I'll give you the multiple positions point. Not just because of the multiple positions but because of the new rule for the 3rd QB on gamedays. He's an extra player dressed and that's a good thing.

2. I somewhat agree with his success (if that's what you or anyone else wants to call it) on 3rd downs. As I've said, I don't disagree that he wasn't effective running the ball out of the wildcat but it's a 90% chance that when he's on the field it's a run up the middle and he barely gets the first down. Defenses know this, coaches know this, hell, even fans know this watching on TV. It's no secret. Are we to believe that Smith is a better ballcarrier than CJ or Freddy?probably not, so why would we use him and not them? Even if in the same formation the RBs should be better. If there's the argument about the threat of BS throwing the ball, he threw once last year and it was so horrible you should just pay an average fan $50 to go out there and toss a ball 15 yards away from any player on the field. And then I'll make the comment that because we all know it's a run up the middle then having the RBs run it out of a "normal" formation it at least gives a chance of a pass from Fitz and defenses have to respect that. They don't respect BS throwing at all.

3. As far as his lack of performance on kick returns and blaming the change in rules is pure bulls%#t. The fact that he was hindered by lack of time on the team and training camp time is also bull%#t. If it were true then why did the Jwts get better on return yardage after BS left (thank you SJBF). If tuatvwas true then why is it that a rookie (Rodgers) with the same amount of training in camps as BS outperform him no sweat? The experience on the team and the change in rules holds no water because the Jets and Rodgers both proved this to be wrong.

4. I really hope your right about this offseason being more sophisticated in the package and I hope Lee helps with this. I still think the formation is a gimmick and is a joke only because it leaves no options. BS or almost ANY player in the NFL set for this position is going to run and not throw. It doesn't fool anyone and hasn't since the first year it was introduced by the Phins. With no real threat to throw accurately it's just not effective.

In the end, if it works this year and we play it to perfection I'll eat crow with no salt, pepper or hot sauce. I'll do it gladly too. I really hope I'm wrong. But if we lose either Byrd or Levitre because we don't have enough money to go around and this guy has another year that doesn't open eyes then I'll be extremely pissed. I think most would. I don't even want to get into the posts this site will get into next offseason when we let one of these guys hit the FA market meanwhile BS is cozy in the Bills locker room taking up not only a roster spot but $4m a year.

1. Everyone agrees on this. There are two (and a half) reasons every team doesn't have a slash-type 3rd QB: Those that don't are either trying to protect a developmental QB (and/or don't run any type of Wildcat/exotic formation) or they simply can't find a guy who is capable of filling multiple roles. If there were 32 players as versatile (and in a similar mold) as Brad Smith, every team would have a guy like him as their 3rd QB. I think if this rule sticks (and I don't see why it wouldn't), within a few years basically every team will employ a slash-type QB.

2. I'm not saying this is definitely true, but couldn't it be the case that BS was so successful on his runs out of the Wildcat because of the threat of the pass? Granted it is a small chance, but it should be respected more than CJ's or FJ's ability to throw. Again, I don't know this to be true, but I would bet that in the Chiefs game - the first game of the season- Chan told BS to just air it out no matter the coverage. Why? So that when opposing DCs look at the tape, they know not to stack the box against the Wildcat bc Scoe or someone might get behind them and reel in a bomb. In a 41-7 rout, why not put not that on display to give DCs something to think about? Again, I don't know that that was the motivation behind that, but if it was, and if that caused Safeties to back off in the subsequent games, I think we have might have an answer for why the Bills might use BS instead of FJ or CJ in a short yardage situation. Remember, in standard sets at least, the Oline had trouble getting a push and FJ had trouble getting a few yards against a stacked box. Those 5+ YPC were mostly due to running out of the spread on 1st and 2nd down.

Here's the BS INT vs the Chiefs: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82222fdd/Chiefs-defense-INT Obviously, poorly executed, and the D was ready. The point is now there's tape of BS throwing deep, so in theory an opposing DC would be unwise to look at the Wildcat formation and choose only to defend the run.

3. Someone already mentioned the small sample size re: KRs and how easily those numbers can be skewed. So anyone's argument is bull, including yours. Maybe Brad Smith is really good, and Justin Rogers is even better. JR was a rookie so it's not like they would've known he'd be better than BS, even if that is actually true. If you're saying JR makes BS expendable bc he's a better returner, JR still doesn't play emergency/Wildcat QB, nor WR in a pinch. Another poster mentioned blocking schemes and prowess compared to the Jets, and in terms of returning styles. I bet the coaches noticed that too, so perhaps we will see more out of BS this year in the return game.

4. Again, I think everyone agrees here. Not on whether the Wildcat deserves to be a part of the offense, but that we can expect to see an improvement and some diversity within the package due to added offseason time and the hiring of David Lee.

5. Lastly, I don't envision BS being a factor in re-signing Levitre and Byrd. I think they'll both get re-signed and we don't have to worry. If they don't, I'm not worried either, because so far it appears Nix is following a plan. That plan includes re-signing our good players, and I don't believe Nix would let them walk without adequate replacements. At this point, I trust him to make the right decisions, so I'll give him and the organization the benefit of the doubt for now.

Where do I start with this?

Just bc a back averages 5 ypc doesn't mean they will get that on 3rd and short and I can't imagine you think that's the case

I didn't get the Brad Smith signing but there is a threat of a pass with him which can be just enough to increase the odds of converting on 3rd n short

I am not a fan of the wildcat n would rather they just lineup and play their offense instead of a gimmick offense that takes your QB out of he equation

Brad is an ok 4th WR that can pay QB in an emergency and come in and get a key first down if needed which is why he will be on the team but his roster spot will have ZERO impact on Levitre or Byrd. Why you would assume it even might is just dumb

Well put, and much more succinct than my post. I should've just gave you a +1 or something. :thumbsup:

Edited by uncle flap

I don't understand why Brad Smith is destined to be the #3 QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ab6ade/article/vince-young-tyler-thigpen-battle-for-bills-backup-job

They hardly used the Wildcat last year and I think Vince Young could run it just as well and maybe better than Smith. Young can run and he would be a true passing threat. Smith did next to nothing last year as a returner. I would rather we keep an extra DB that can return or a younger WR than Smith. And I would rather they trade for or grab a project QB from the waiver wire.

Just don't see the need to keep him and his contract. Use that money to resign Levitre and Byrd.

Please someone tell me what I am missing???

Well, they say if you can play multiple positions, you have a better chance to make the roster. If your listed as. QB, return kicks, and can make highlight reel catches over Antonio Cromarte, you might be safe.

Brad may be the third best receiver we have right now. Not to mention the drop in special teams performance the Jets experienced without him.

I'm not sold on any reciver on the roster, other than Stevie, and Nelson.

Smith's strength is versatility as has been mentioned. Few are old enough to remember the role Ed Rutkowskit (and Tom Matte for Baltimore) played as emergency qb, running back, receiver and special teams contributor. Is Smith a shoo-in to make the team...? I don't think so...but if he shows he can be effective as a versatile utility man, there may continue to be a spot for him.