Could WR D. Hagan become the #2 WR for the Bills??

I don't take it for granted that Brad Smith makes the team.

He was a pretty big disappointment running the wildcat and returning kicks - if Vince Young does well enough adn can run the W/C, I could see Smith gone.

Jones is my #1 guy I don't get on the roster. Coaches love him - I can't see a thing in games he does that makes him anything more than backup material. I'd rather have Roosevelt or Aiken with their size and hands.

From what I've seen in games - I totally agree about Jones. IMO, Aiken and Roosevelt offer more, Roosevelt in consistency - which he's been - and Aiken in potential. Unless Jones can turn his best performances into weekly performances, I just don't get it. We're not looking for more mediocre WR's. We've got more than a handful of that - WR's who are role player types. We need someone to be consistently better - near the 1000 yards a season, 5 or 6 touchdowns mark.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen in games - I totally agree about Jones. IMO, Aiken and Roosevelt offer more, Roosevelt in consistency - which he's been - and Aiken in potential. Unless Jones can turn his best performances into weekly performances, I just don't get it. We're not looking for more mediocre WR's. We've got more than a handful of that - WR's who are role player types. We need someone to be consistently better - near the 1000 yards a season, 5 or 6 touchdowns mark.

Jones was sold to us with so much upside. I think as part of that "sale" we have him 1 more year. In a perfect world trading him would be the best.

I really hope hagan steps up for the #2 spot. Having Jones as our number 2 is very underwhelming

Also, I don't see them getting rid of brad smith. It is too much of a coincidence that they brought in lee with his wildcat background. And Vince young, has he ever done the wildcat? I don't recall that at all. And to top it off, if/when our recevers get depleted, he will be of use. We are paying him too much, but at this point I don't think it matters. I think this staff has their mind set on having a wildcat option, and he is their best choice

I was really rooting for Naaman, but it seems clear that he's pretty far down on the chart. It's too bad. He was a great story.

Edited by MaineMoxie

I was really rooting for Naaman, but it seems clear that he's pretty far down on the chart. It's too bad. He was a great story.

I see a few of these players end up going to our AFCE foes. Someone like Naaman knows enough of our system to be taken to NYJ and work with them.

Jones was sold to us with so much upside. I think as part of that "sale" we have him 1 more year. In a perfect world trading him would be the best.

A trade would be tough and value would be low if anyone even had interest. The NFL is loaded with players like Jones and a few others on our squad. 7th round pick would do little for the team.

Traditionally, there will be way better receivers cut by the time the season starts, than Jones. Where's his value in a trade?

i think it's too early to talk about who is going to be let go and i would be surprised to see Jones going anywhere. I dont see him as a #2 myself. but the coaches sound as if they like his upside.

Hagan could easily be gunning for # 2 and should be. He could be a traditional one if he could pull it all together.

He did show up well late last year and everything so far with ota/mini has sounded positive.

With the choices we have and if Easley can play, we will field a much better group of receivers than last year as a whole.

Lot of versatilty and for the young guys, they are not being thrown right to the fire again this year. Offseason helps Our receivers with Chans playbook better than some other teams i would guess.

We will run the wildcat.

Brad will play as #3 QB.

chan is lying if he said Vince Young would not be a wildcat option.

Frankly I would be unsurprised if Easley did not make the team actually. He is almost 3 years now from his last game, and who knows if he even makes it healthy thru camp. If he was cut maybe naaman can stick?

I'm guessing the top 5 will be:

Johnson

Jones

Nelson

Easley

Graham

Along with Chandler playing a big part in the offense I don't see a need to name a No.2

i just cant count Easley in yet. at all. but if he is all folks hope he will hit # 2 on the charts.

i will stick with Hagan starts in a 5 man roster. for now. we shall see in a couple weeks eh?

i just cant count Easley in yet. at all. but if he is all folks hope he will hit # 2 on the charts.

i will stick with Hagan starts in a 5 man roster. for now. we shall see in a couple weeks eh?

Agree, I'm making a big assumption with Easley. Just hoping from what I've seen when he's healthy.

Jones is definitely an enigma. I thought he had "alligator arms" at times last year before he got hurt. In other words, he would shy away from contact sometimes when reaching for the ball with a defender bearing down on him.

Still he has a good size/speed ratio, which is what Gailey likes. Unfortunately for Gailey, he is stuck having to make the most of what he has available to him at WR, which is mostly UDFAs and late round draft picks.

The Bills obviously feel like they have a need at WR or they would not have pursued WR R. Meachem earlier in the year.

I'm hoping that Easley steps it up in training camp because I think he has the most potential of any of the Tier 3 WRs that I've listed above.

In the meantime, Gailey will simply need to make the most of guys like D. Jones and D. Hagan.

Hagan was a good add for a team that had injuries at the WR position. Clowney is a guy that was going to be insurance if we didn't get a deep threat in the Draft. Jones was the starter coming out of camp last year, and is much faster than some of you may remember. He tore apart New England's defense in the first game, and is a tremendous blocker in the open field. I think the guys that make the team at WR are Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Easley, Graham, and maybe Hagan or Roosevelt. I think Aiken is a lock for the PS. Smith is the X-factor. If he can provide depth at WR and QB then, we probably don't keep Hagan or Roosevelt because we'll only be keeping 5 WRs. I think we tell both of them that if we have injuries they'll be the first guys we call.

Jones is definitely an enigma. I thought he had "alligator arms" at times last year before he got hurt. In other words, he would shy away from contact sometimes when reaching for the ball with a defender bearing down on him.

I thought that too. He did well when he had his man beat and the pass was right on target. He didn't make the catches the elite wideouts pull off - the ones where he had to win the jump ball or make the shoestring catch or dive for the ball - part of the same "shy away from contact" phenomenon? He did Fitz no favors on the INT front, tipping a number of balls that became INTs.

Unfortunately for Gailey, he is stuck having to make the most of what he has available to him at WR, which is mostly UDFAs and late round draft picks.

This is an interesting point. Our most proven WR at this point are UDFA - Johnson, Nelson.

Quietly, Nix has been accumulating some reasonably high draft choices at WR onto the team, some of whom were cut due to depth at the position

Hagen - 3rd round, Miami

Easley - 4th round, Bills

Clowney - 5th round, Green Bay

and of course

TJ Graham, 3rd round, Bills

If we count TE we have

Chandler - 4th round, San Diego

Lee Smith - 5th round, New England

That's enough draft value that you'd think someone would begin to add up.

Your overall point is valid that 6 of the 11 WR currently on the Bills roster were UDFA and a 7th is 7th round (Stevie)

I didn't read a single post in this thread so I apologize if this is redundant:

But any talk of # this or that is totally moot--at least so says our head coach, publicly, a lot.

Gailey has repeatedly said that they only "assign numbers to them" because they have to for media purposes.