Bucky Brooks: Buffalo's offense could be one of the most difficult

HOUSE

Chris Brown, in his weekly Fan Friday column today said he thinks the Bills will only keep 5 WR. It's possible they will bring someone new in, they considered Josh Groban, but to me it's really unlikely unless it is a Nick Barnett quality player that has been released in final cuts who is big and fast and proven. To me, Stevie, Nelson, Graham and probably Donald Jones are locks, and Hagan and/or Easley are going to make the team. The new guy would have to be a clear starter to bring in at that point in the game.

I just see some team dumping cap for a younger,cheaper player. Must be 10 teams in cap trouble.

Chris Brown, in his weekly Fan Friday column today said he thinks the Bills will only keep 5 WR. It's possible they will bring someone new in, they considered Josh Groban, but to me it's really unlikely unless it is a Nick Barnett quality player that has been released in final cuts who is big and fast and proven. To me, Stevie, Nelson, Graham and probably Donald Jones are locks, and Hagan and/or Easley are going to make the team. The new guy would have to be a clear starter to bring in at that point in the game.

They have to keep Easley. They've had him 2 years and he hasn't played a single game and to keep him that long, it would be hard to cut him.

They have to keep Easley. They've had him 2 years and he hasn't played a single game and to keep him that long, it would be hard to cut him.

Agreed. And the team seems to like him. But they also very much like Hagan and they even more so like Donald Jones (although I just don't see it). There are going to be some tough cuts at a lot of positions and WR is at the top of the list. I think a lot of fans are going to see a player they thought was going to play a lot and be a playmaker, be released. I hope it's not Easley. I'm also an ASU fan, and Derek Hagan was a GREAT college player. I was surprised he hadn't had a better pro career but he showed last year in his short stint on the Bills what he showed in college. Maybe he is finally ready to blossom, he surely has the talent, he can do everything. I don't want to see him cut either but he may be.

I read a rather amusing blurb last year about the Giants where the coaches wanted to keep Hagan over Victor Cruz in 2010 but someone in the front office overruled them, and Cruz was kept and Hagan released.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/01/victor-cruz-came-close-to-getting-cut-in-2010/

Agreed. And the team seems to like him. But they also very much like Hagan and they even more so like Donald Jones (although I just don't see it). There are going to be some tough cuts at a lot of positions and WR is at the top of the list. I think a lot of fans are going to see a player they thought was going to play a lot and be a playmaker, be released. I hope it's not Easley. I'm also an ASU fan, and Derek Hagan was a GREAT college player. I was surprised he hadn't had a better pro career but he showed last year in his short stint on the Bills what he showed in college. Maybe he is finally ready to blossom, he surely has the talent, he can do everything. I don't want to see him cut either but he may be.

I read a rather amusing blurb last year about the Giants where the coaches wanted to keep Hagan over Victor Cruz in 2010 but someone in the front office overruled them, and Cruz was kept and Hagan released.

http://profootballta...ng-cut-in-2010/

I'm with you there, I saw a lot of things in the glimpses of Hagan's work that didn't exist with Donal Jones in there. I just don't get it.

I think only five receivers is too few for the team. I can see six with both Hagan and Easley making the team.

I still believe the Bills will sign another WR at the final 53. We Will See

A number of those associated with the Bills (coaches, players) have commented that the Bills offense is difficult for a WR because all the WR have to know all the positions.

That would seem to indicate that a WR signed late would have limited ability to contribute to the team.

On one hand, that was a terrific article explaining the plays the Bills use and why they are successful with each back. Nice work. On the other hand, the article completely misses the real issue. The Bills will very likely be able to run those plays Brooks exhibited with each back in the game. The real key to an explosive offense, and one that defenses will not be able to handle well is how Gailey devises plays and packages where both Jackson and Spiller are in the game.

I was up early this morning and read the article by Brooks and this was my first reaction… he never even addressed the issue of BOTH Freddy and Spiller being in the game together.

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention this.

With gailey being a pass happy oc and being hit with WR injury last year, what would make gailey want to keep only 5 wrs? That sounds crazy...i think we keep stevie, Nelson, graham, Easley, hagan, jones....and hopefully Roosevelt....yes, 7...hopefully....oh yea, and ruv martin listed as a WR is a joke...contract or not, he is nothing but a great st player...I can't see him outplaying any of the previously mentioned 7 wrs...should be interesting to see what chix does...

Not sure what's funnier, this statement or that fact that I actually caught the typo.

Wasn't a typo. ;)

With gailey being a pass happy oc and being hit with WR injury last year, what would make gailey want to keep only 5 wrs? That sounds crazy...i think we keep stevie, Nelson, graham, Easley, hagan, jones....and hopefully Roosevelt....yes, 7...hopefully....oh yea, and ruv martin listed as a WR is a joke...contract or not, he is nothing but a great st player...I can't see him outplaying any of the previously mentioned 7 wrs...should be interesting to see what chix does...

Because if we keep 5 WR we really have 8 that are going to play the position, counting Brad Smith, Jackson and Spiller. When Spiller and Jackson are in the game together, one of them is going to play the position of, and run the routes of, a slot WR.

Wasn't a typo. ;)

Because if we keep 5 WR we really have 8 that are going to play the position, counting Brad Smith, Jackson and Spiller. When Spiller and Jackson are in the game together, one of them is going to play the position of, and run the routes of, a slot WR.

Interesting. And that might factor into us keeping 5 WR's instead of 6. Smith is valuable for roster space with him as #3 QB, #6 WR, returner, wildcat...

Dr. House, thanks for the link. I don't usually learn much from the national media types who seem to know a lot about the NFL in general but little about the Bills specifically. However, I thought Bucky's analysis, clips and screen grabs about how Chan uses CJ and FredEx differently were interesting and illuminating.