Obama's Failure Is In Not Telling A Good Story

He cant do anything wrong, unless it's not explaining himself well enough:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-my-biggest-mistake-was-not-telling-story_648482.html

"It's funny - when I ran, everybody said, well he can give a good speech but can he actually manage the job?" he said. "And in my first two years, I think the notion was, 'Well, he's been juggling and managing a lot of stuff, but where's the story that tells us where he's going?' And I think that was a legitimate criticism."

President Obama, explaining his "biggest mistake" which was "thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right" and missing that "the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times."

The people who voted for him, including me, really did expect him to bring the country "a sense of unity and purpose and optimism," but I don't think a "story" is what we needed. He came to us with a story — his life story, told in his "Dreams" book, and somehow that led to people imagining him able to bring the country a new sense of unity and purpose and optimism. He chose, however, to do policy that simply wasn't unifying. It was highly partisan and divisive, and for the longest time it has felt as though he is simply running for reelection. So the "story" of Barack Obama, the President, is not a compelling story at all.

And now, he seems to be saying: I'm such a great speechmaker, so if only I'd speechified more I could have sold all my policies as a good story, like I sold myself in the first place as a good story. As if all he needed was more words. He's so good with words.

Althouse

Link didn't work for me. Here's a new one

Thanks Ox.

Mitt Romney responds in an official statement:

"President Obama believes that millions of Americans have lost their homes, their jobs and their livelihood because he failed to tell a good story. Being president is not about telling stories. Being president is about leading, and President Obama has failed to lead. No wonder Americans are losing faith in his presidency."

When I think about what we've done well and what we haven't done well," the president said, "the mistake of my first term - couple of years - was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right. And that's important. But the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times."

So Mr. President is that what you've failed to do in your first term is..............lead. See Mr. President that's what good leaders do, they bring people together. Have them put their differences aside and work together, especially during tough times. It's good to see he finally admits that he himself is not suited for the job. Not a problem Mr. President. We'll take care of it from here.

Edited by Chef Jim

So here's a good story by Obama: Today at a fundraiser he tells everyone that an independent, non-partisan economist recently released a study stating that Mitt Romney's economic plan will only create jobs outside the US.

Except, well, admit it: you know how this is going to end.

Can't run. Can't hide.

Remember what I said about rich liberals? Barry's the King of them.

Let them eat hope

By Gene Healy

After much soul searching, Barack Obama has figured out where his presidency has gone wrong -- and he shared it with CBS's Charlie Rose and viewers across the fruited plain Sunday morning.

"The mistake of my first term -- couple of years," the president allowed, "was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right." At times, Obama confessed, he'd forgotten that "the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times." He needed to do "more explaining, but also inspiring."

"Because hope is still there," the first lady added.

There you have it. Contemplating the policy wreckage that surrounds him, the president has concluded that what this country needs is a fresh injection of presidential hope. Like "more cowbell" in the old "Saturday Night Live" skit, it's the magic ingredient that makes everything better.

Obama considers himself a sophisticated and nuanced guy, so you wouldn't think his descent into self-parody would be so unsubtle.

Anyone else out there for the explanation that a lack of storytelling, explaining and inspirational speeches was the great sin of the Obama presidency? According to CBS's Mark Knoller, in his first two years in office, the president clocked 902 speeches and statements and gave 265 interviews. Anybody who talks that much runs the risk of saying too much. Case in point, this gem from the president's speech Friday in Roanoke: "If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen." Inspiring!

To be fair, Obama didn't invent the juvenile notion of the president as inspirer in chief. But he has served as its reductio ad absurdum, relentlessly stoking irrational public expectations for presidential salvation, raising hopes that no human institution could possibly fulfill.

Some political scientists attribute declining presidential popularity to the "expectations gap" -- the vast distance between what the public expects of the president and what he can realistically deliver. No chief executive in modern memory has done more than the Yes We Can president to boost expectations and widen that gap. Obama seems oblivious to the fact that those irrational public expectations are a large part of his political problem.

Washington Examiner

So here's a good story by Obama: Today at a fundraiser he tells everyone that an independent, non-partisan economist recently released a study stating that Mitt Romney's economic plan will only create jobs outside the US.

Except, well, admit it: you know how this is going to end.

Can't run. Can't hide.

Can't believe he'd cite a racist B word like that in a public speech. Did you see how little she gave BO compared to what she gave to other WHITE Dems?

Another sign he's desperate. He's got nothing on Romney and he's got nothing to show for this time in office except zero. He's President Big ZerO.

Barry can't stop lying, can he? Or is he just delusional?

You must be confusing him with Romney - who is actually a liar.

BO is just a puppet and a proxy for certain interest groups.

You must be confusing him with Romney - who is actually a liar.

BO is just a puppet and a proxy for certain interest groups.

What is Romney lying about? And here's a hint: they're all puppets and proxies for special interest groups.