Book Recommendations

Max Fischer

I thought I'd make a few book recommendations and ask for others to recommend what they've read lately --

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn.

I would highly recommend any of her three books (Sharp Objects, Dark Places) but this even tops the other two. I would be unfair to discuss any plot points other than to say that it starts with the disappearance of a man's wife. A dark, humorous, psychological mystery/drama. On Amazon, those who did not like it seemed be turned off by its "unHollywoodlike" story line, but that's exactly why I liked it. I prefer stories that take chances and don't wimp out, which makes Flynn one of the most fearless writers I've read.

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Novel-Gillian-Flynn/dp/030758836X/ref=la_B001JP3W46_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342105683&sr=1-1

Sunne in Splendor - Sharon Kay Penman

One of my most enjoyable historical novels, which reexamines Richard III. Deep, rich characters, very-well researched, not at all dry. It's a long book but you don't want it to end. For those familiar with the history Richard III (Shakespeare et al), you will find a very different character that plausibly makes the case that history is indeed written by the victors.

I also highly recommend Penman's "Plantagenet" series that starts with "When Christ and His Saints Slept" that chronicles the English Civil War between King Stephen and the fierce Empress Empress Maude, as well as the rise the legendary Henry II and his indomitable wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sunne-In-Splendour-Richard/dp/031237593X/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/When-Christ-His-Saints-Slept/dp/0345396685

Edited by Max Fischer

I don't read a ton of fiction anymore (I'm assuming that's what you're looking for), but I picked up a couple of things from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. One is The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry. Pretty good first effort, as far as novels go. The other was The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov, which contains almost every short story Nabokov ever wrote. Needless to say, there are some amazing stories in there. Too bad nobody reads short fiction nowadays.

I don't read a ton of fiction anymore (I'm assuming that's what you're looking for), but I picked up a couple of things from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. One is The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry. Pretty good first effort, as far as novels go. The other was The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov, which contains almost every short story Nabokov ever wrote. Needless to say, there are some amazing stories in there. Too bad nobody reads short fiction nowadays.

Thanks, I have a many interests (fiction and non-fiction), but thought I'd post recent books I've really liked, and I'm just curious about books not on my radar and/or not sure if I should take the plunge. I've had "Manual of Detection" on my list for some time but have yet to pick it up.

You're right, not many people read short fiction anymore, including me. However, when I do, I'm surprised why I have an aversion. I'm not an Ipad/Kindle reader, but I've noticed many authors are churning out some great short stories they've only e-published. For example, I'm a fan of Olen Steinhauer's "The Tourist" series (another strong recommendation), and found on Amazon a short story called "You Known What's Going On."

http://www.amazon.com/You-Know-Whats-Going-ebook/dp/B004U2DUPQ/ref=la_B001ITYIM8_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1342107183&sr=1-27 99 cents for a nice little read.

Bigfoot War

Absolutely hilarious.

I read this based on your recommendation a while back. It actually is pretty entertaining. It feels like a very amateur effort, but the guy does know how to keep the action rolling. He doesn’t have time for petty concerns like character development or plausibility or what you might describe as “good writing” in any way, but it does move—I’ll give it that.

And yes, its flaws work in its favor, making it quite funny too.

Edited by gringo starr

I read this based on your recommendation a while back. It actually is pretty entertaining. It feels like a very amateur effort, but the guy does know how to keep the action rolling. He doesn’t have time for petty concerns like character development or plausibility or what you might describe as “good writing,” in any way, but it does move—I’ll give it that.

You actually read that on my recommendation? 'Cause...y'know...I wasn't actually serious.

Only reason I read it was because it was 99 cents on Kindle, and occasionally I need a break from military history and give my brain a rest...so why the hell not?

I read this based on your recommendation a while back. It actually is pretty entertaining. It feels like a very amateur effort, but the guy does know how to keep the action rolling. He doesn’t have time for petty concerns like character development or plausibility or what you might describe as “good writing” in any way, but it does move—I’ll give it that.

You actually read that on my recommendation? 'Cause...y'know...I wasn't actually serious.

Only reason I read it was because it was 99 cents on Kindle, and occasionally I need a break from military history and give my brain a rest...so why the hell not?

Any recommendations for Bigfoot War 2: Dead In The Woods?

Currently working my way through the Flashman Papers, historical fiction where the nominal narrator/'hero' (Flashman) is a liar, lecher, bully, coward and much more (less?). Very enjoyable and recommended.

When the first book came out several acedemics wrote reviews believing it was the real memoirs of a historical figure...

Any recommendations for Bigfoot War 2: Dead In The Woods?

Downside: It lacks the moral and ethical quandaries that makes the original such a rich, rewarding read.

Upside: It's got zombies. Zombies and Bigfoot. !@#$, yeah.

On a more serious note: Hunting The Elephant in Africa, and Other Recollections, by Chauncy Hugh Stigand. Stigand was a Victorian-era British Army Captain who spent most of his time in British East Africa, the book is kind-of a grab-bag collection of stories and recollections from his time there. Fascinating man, as a soldier, hunter, explorer, and naturalist, and apparently a genuinely decent guy, and the book amazingly lacks the racist overtones so particular to most Victorian-era writing. If you're a fan of Roark, Roosevelt, Hemingway, etc., it's well worth a read.

And it's available as a free eBook on Google books - er, "Google Play Books".

On a more serious note: Hunting The Elephant in Africa, and Other Recollections, by Chauncy Hugh Stigand. Stigand was a Victorian-era British Army Captain who spent most of his time in British East Africa, the book is kind-of a grab-bag collection of stories and recollections from his time there. Fascinating man, as a soldier, hunter, explorer, and naturalist, and apparently a genuinely decent guy, and the book amazingly lacks the racist overtones so particular to most Victorian-era writing. If you're a fan of Roark, Roosevelt, Hemingway, etc., it's well worth a read.

And it's available as a free eBook on Google books - er, "Google Play Books".

I thought that was whole point of reading those books? To pick up arcane racial slurs that you can use without getting an earful from tgreg.