Missing person solved

NoSaint

What a story this one turned into for the casual observer...

Mickey Shunick was a 22 year old girl that went missing in early May from Lafayette Louisiana. Was riding her bike home at 2am, and never made it. Her family did an amazing job with social media, flyers, etc... She wasnt in New Orleans but within the first week I was seeing her face EVERYWHERE in stores, on phone poles etc, so of course it was a story we all kind of followed around here. Kudos to them though as she was reported missing the day after and even with several degrees of seperation her face was all over my facebook feed within about 18 hours of the disappearance.

Anyway - in an odd twist - during that following week a guy on Tiger Droppings (a pretty major SEC message board - got a lot of reads on here through the Cam Newton drama) was on their "off the wall" equivalent posting about his Sister in Laws boyfriend and what a creep he was, how he was a registered sex offender, and he got a real bad vibe from him, how do you look up details to the crime as he was worried about SIL's kids.... Thread started maybe 4-5 days after the disappearance.

Come about a week to maybe 10 days into the investigation, the police release that they are looking for a white pickup truck in connection to the case....

Turns out SIL's boyfriend has a matching truck (and it had mysteriously gone missing the same week, but turned up burned up in texas down the line). he was arrested today after the poster turned over the tip to police about the truck.

If some of the rumors are true this could be a story that hits national news (has all the makings of a lifetime movie). He was in the military when convicted of tying up and raping his victim in 2000(?) and allegedly had his name come up in a previous murder investigation but couldnt be firmly tied to it. Allegedly he is being questioned in some more disappearances. Apparently he was also in the process of trying to get the message board posters SIL to marry him.

Very weird to watch unfold as a bystander on an internet message board. Can you imagine having likewise happen here?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57467526-504083/michaela-mickey-shunick-arrest-for-murder-of-missing-la-student/

Edited by NoSaint

Very weird to watch unfold as a bystander on an internet message board. Can you imagine having likewise happen here?

If I have my boards straight, we've had our own resident murderer here.

Not to mention a certian horrible human being ;)

So sad of a story, even with resolution forthcoming.

agreed. hopefully it is the right guy, and it ends up saving lives catching him now.

if he was in jail from 21-29 and now arrested again at 33.... he may have caused a lot of damage still, but he sounds like the type that could have done a lot more if not caught now with such narrow windows to accomplish it.

If some of the rumors are true this could be a story that hits national news (has all the makings of a lifetime movie).

Actually already has, I remember hearing about her missing back in May on some of the national news morning shows.

Actually already has, I remember hearing about her missing back in May on some of the national news morning shows.

i suspected it got a few mentions.

between the suspects military history and his first conviction, and the possibility of more cases tied to him, and now having a cute blonde college girl to be the face.... it definitely has hit all the standard checklist items to get a lot more coverage now that this guy has been tied to it.

Gave me the shivers since she has an uncommon first name (Michaela) and the nickname is "Mickey" which are the same as my daughter who just graduated and is going south for college.... :cry: :cry:

Edited by Guffalo

Gave me the shivers since she has an uncommon first name (Michaela) and the nickname is "Mickey" which are the same as my daughter who just graduated and is going south for college.... :cry: :cry:

If anyone messes with her I have lots of land and a shovel you can borrow...

press conference today added some new details:

so it looks like his defense is going to be that he reported the truck stolen in texas, that the person that stole it must have driven to a location 20 mins from his house in louisiana to do this, then drove back to texas to dump the truck and burn it. and that he immediately went out and bought a matching truck when his previous went missing.

it also looks like he is getting some time no matter what as he altered his license to hide his sex offender status

• 2 weeks later...

Man.... Grand jury met today and returned not just first degree murder with the Mickey case, but an additional charge for the previous suspected murder. Apparently police found numerous womens IDs in his house.

It's also been found he was accused of rape atleast one other time while at fort Polk.

Seems Mickey got a hold of him though as he was apparently at the hospital the next day getting stitched up for stab wounds galore.

Made for tv. SVU will be doing this one soon I'm sure.

Sad story but hopefully closure coming for a lot of families.

Amazing at his registered sex offender check in the officer didn't catch the numerous stab wounds and stolen truck missing the description of the one sought from that night.

• 3 weeks later...

And if justice actually were served, this POS would have been permanetnly off the streets after the first rape.

Sex offenders do not rehabilitate. <_<

whats especially sad is he had an accusation of rape that he walked on, followed by a conviction of rape that he used a plea bargain on, followed by a pretty strong suspicion in a murder case that was being investigated while he was in jail (but the main witness/accomplice was apparently too shaky to move forward with from what i understand - this is the other case he has now been charged with in addition to mickeys murder) and he was still able to do work release stuff and get out of jail early.

WHAT

i get that you have to go with whats on the books, and i get that some cases are shaky and you dont get to put them away, or in the convicted rape they had to plea him down to a lesser to finish off the case.... but he got out early, despite all the stuff swirling around him?!?!

SPECULATION: some of the guys on that other board i previously mentioned, 3 of them have been nailing EVERYTHING sometimes weeks before it goes public, are still saying there might be 3 more murder cases still being put together right now. not giving a lot of details, but allegedly they found several womens drivers licenses at his house after he was arrested, and id say its a reasonable guess that they are now trying to figure out how to make connections with those.

Edited by NoSaint

• 2 weeks later...

Guilty plea filed today. According to the story she really fought like hell. stole his knife and stabbed him two different times, maced him, etc....

Actual plea for the two murders outlining much detail of what happened:

http://www.katc.com/files/lavergne%20statement.pdf

in a related story, a private investigator in texas is making noise about another missing person. she went missing in the town this guys truck was found in. 2 unrelated tips placed a white pickup matching his in the area, and one had a partial plate included in the tip. they couldnt find the truck searching texas registrations... upon hearing about this case they contacted authorities and the partial plate does match BSL's white pickup that was burned and ditched in that same town in texas.

Edited by NoSaint