calling all gardners

Pete

Hey, how is your garden looking? My over ambitious garden is constantly expanding like the universe. I still am learning the nuances though. Question- can someone recommend a tried and true way to train tomato's besides a tomato cage? I read about the Florida weave. Any have luck with that?

My cousin has a thing where he put up two 3/4 steel pipes and a horizontal section connecting them, then runs string down from that. As the tomatoes climb, he attaches a plastic clip to the stem. I dunno. I'm sticking with the cages. The thing for tomatoes is to pinch off some of the lower leaves and plant them deep and they'll root out to get the plant more water and nutrients. Gotta pinch the "suckers" as they appear, and remove fruit that's not developing right.

My garden's really taking off. ~8x30 with squash, cukes & pole beans on a firm trellis (the storms knocked me down several times last year (the tornado passed about 10 miles north of us). Poured some concrete in buckets with a hole through it and got 10' metal poles this year. If this thing gets knocked over, losing a few veggies won't be our biggest problem), bell peppers, kale, beets, dill, Swiss chard, sunflowers, and trying garlic for the first time. Nice weather for it here in CT so far. Have to cut down a smallish oak that's now starting to block the morning sun....

Hey, how is your garden looking? My over ambitious garden is constantly expanding like the universe. I still am learning the nuances though. Question- can someone recommend a tried and true way to train tomato's besides a tomato cage? I read about the Florida weave. Any have luck with that?

best year in ages. we moved so i started anew with raised beds and store bought soil. hopefully, i'll have no blight this year on my tomatoes. i,m staking my plants with bamboo and it seems to be holding for now. i tie with this rubberized wire stuff that works great. sorry, dont know about the florida weave. i'm pretty agreessive at pruning the plants tho and that helps keep em compact. going to pull up my peas as it's way too hot. had plans for the space but my wife has claimed it for perrenial seeds. oh well, store bought carrots are cheaper than store bought foxglove plants.

and i did something this year some of you might want to try. didn't want to use space in my raised beds for cukes and squash so i put weed guard in a 12x12 ft area anfnd dumped 4 separate bags of tops soil in piles surrounded by rocks. planted 2 plants in each pile and they're thriving. my first zucchinis are now ready. i've heard of people doing this with tomatoes too: just putting a slit in a bag of topsoil and putting a tomatoe plant in but have never tried it.

Edited by birdog1960