Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen battle for Bills backup role

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

may i toss this in the ring? because there is still more to it then meets the eye. The Washington game and the quick decline of the Bills offense;

Chan also did not begin to favor the run regardless of Fitzes condition and or his serious decline in production. No one had really stopped us from running at that point. The Jets game was obvious that Coach Ryan had figured us out. We are going to throw no matter what and might have known of Fitzes condition. again i consider this whole thing odd. Such praise of Thig before the season. I would have thought by the eighth game in he should be ready to play

He was hurt, he wasn't "fully capable of playing." He couldn't throw deep when he tried. His accuracy was worse. At the beginning of that slide the team was in a position for the playoffs. If he sat for one game, maybe two who knows how the rest of the season would have developed. Which is it, Gailey was unaware of the injury or Gailey thought he could play? Did you watch those games? Could he play? Yes. Could he play effectively? No. Think Gailey was unaware? That's real smart. Think Gailey thought he was fully capable of playing through that 7 game slide? That's real smart.

I definitely think he could play, and play well. He didn't play well but to me the injury was the least of his problems. Gailey said he didn't know he was hurt to any extent. Fitz always said he was good to go. If the line held up and the WR weren't hurt and the defense could stop someone, IMO we would have been fine with Fitz and the injury. He didn't play well because he had no time and no one open and a 14 point deficit with no chance of winning the game if they didnt put a bunch of points up by throwing every play.

I definitely think he could play, and play well. He didn't play well but to me the injury was the least of his problems. Gailey said he didn't know he was hurt to any extent. Fitz always said he was good to go. If the line held up and the WR weren't hurt and the defense could stop someone, IMO we would have been fine with Fitz and the injury. He didn't play well because he had no time and no one open and a 14 point deficit with no chance of winning the game if they didnt put a bunch of points up by throwing every play.

That's not accurate. Also, it's impossible for me to believe that no one on the staff had anyn idea Fitz was injured after the Skins game.

That's not accurate. Also, it's impossible for me to believe that no one on the staff had anyn idea Fitz was injured after the Skins game.

The Bills paid Fitz in mid season and he stopped performing. See: Trent. See: Dickie J. This is a continuing trend. The Bills are snakebit like that, they need to do contract negotiation out of season going forward.

That's not accurate? In the seven game losing streak...

Game 1 down 13-0 early in the third and 20-7 late in the third.

Game 2 down 14-0 in the first

Game 3 down 21-3 early in the second

Game 4 was back and forth

Game 5 down 17-7 early in second

Game 6 down 16-0 in second

Game 7 down 20-7 early in the third

I'd say that's pretty accurate. Unless you want to be unreasonable about it and say down 13 points is not 14 points.

After watching Thigpen last year, it's hard to imagine how bad VY would have to be to lose that competition.

Agreed. And what does the fact that Fitz had cracked ribs and still played tell you about how bad Thigpen is?? Most teams would be able to sit their starter for a week or two and put the backup in.

I thought this was a totally sarcastic post at first with the word "battle" - Thigpen couldn't beat out the SU starting QB

Wow. And SU has a QB?!?! (I'm an alumni, talk about a once proud program falling).