Why we all oughta hope Stevie Johnson acts a lot this year..

Hplarrm

This is such an easy answer to the problem. Why do this BS in the EZ? Run out of the EZ and stand around the goal line 5 yards out of bounds. They couldn't flag you for that. These guys did go to college didn't they?

In the business world we call this "thinking outside of the box".

Does that matter?

IIRC, SJ was well out of bounds when he flashed his "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" message, got flagged and was pulled from the Pats* game.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see nothing wrong with writing messages on their shirts unless it says something ridiculous. But writing Happy New Year? And "Why So Serious?" GIve me a break. Pom poms? I musta missed that Stevie celebration. Either that or you musta mistaken him for someone else.

Like i said. Him mocking Plax was done in poor taste and that's the ONLY Stevie TD celebration that should've been penalized in my opinion.

If you've even bothered to read the entire thread, you'd notice people on here were ripping on players for their TD and sack antics. "Players should act like they've done it before after getting a TD or sack." So in response, i posted a video of the greatest D-lineman to ever play celebrating after getting sacks.

Outside the Plax celebration, what's he done that was so terrible? Do share.

I actually had no problem with SJ's t-shirt signs, in principal. They were quick and harmless, didn't offend anyone. But where does it stop? The fact that he does it, and plans it, KNOWING he is going to take a penalty and hurt his team is what bothered me about those. You could actually argue that he took two penalties that cost his teams games, the jets short field position that they turned into a lead, and him getting benched at NE.

Funny that you mentioned reading, since you keep responding to things I never even said. I never said SJ did anything "terrible". It's also funny how you keep phrasing things like "except for the examples already given what did the guy do"...You are basically acknowledging that the point has already been proven.

Again, I was not talking about SJ per say, as I specifically stated in my prior post (more selective reading). TO did the Pom Pom's, I was speaking about celebrations in general, as I have this entire conversation.

If you are of the opinion that these celebrations should be allowed, that's fine, you're welcome to that. Just try to reply to what others are actually saying.

Does that matter?

IIRC, SJ was well out of bounds when he flashed his "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" message, got flagged and was pulled from the Pats* game.

Yeah it doesn't matter where you are on the field, they will call the excessive celebration.

Edited by Beerball

I see nothing wrong with writing messages on their shirts unless it says something ridiculous. But writing Happy New Year? And "Why So Serious?" GIve me a break. Pom poms? I musta missed that Stevie celebration. Either that or you musta mistaken him for someone else.

Like i said. Him mocking Plax was done in poor taste and that's the ONLY Stevie TD celebration that should've been penalized in my opinion.

If you've even bothered to read the entire thread, you'd notice people on here were ripping on players for their TD and sack antics. "Players should act like they've done it before after getting a TD or sack." So in response, i posted a video of the greatest D-lineman to ever play celebrating after getting sacks.

Outside the Plax celebration, what's he done that was so terrible? Do share.

Would have to disagree in one regard. The head coach went out of his way to tell the players not to do any type of celebrations that could even be questioned before the last game of year where he got benched. Don't care what your profession is, if the guy running it says don't do this, and you do it anyway, that's an issue.

Edited by Beerball

Stevei tweeted that he was working on some new TD dances, but he also mentioned that they are of the "legal" variety. As mentioned earlier, Victor Cruz dances every time he scores and never gets penalized. Stevie should be allowed ot do the same, provided he follows the rules. (which means alone, not lengthy, and no going to the ground)

I guess Stevie needs to learn how to salsa because there's no double standard going on here huh? I for one work all week and freakin love to watch td celebrations on Sundays. Guess victor Cruz and all the packers who leap etc are amateurs too ?

Football is entertainment if the guys who put in the work to get into the end zone get there then let em dance. Minute time limit or it's a penalty.

This old school act like you been there before stuff has been gone since the 80's. Ickey shuffle anyone ? I mean it's 2012 gentlemen....The mad men era is over. Women can vote now too

Edited by Ryan L Billz

This old school act like you been there before stuff has been gone since the 80's. Ickey shuffle anyone ? I mean it's 2012 gentlemen....The mad men era is over. Women can vote now too

The old school act is still around. Marvin Harrison was pretty good at it and caught a zillion TDs. The best WR in all of football, Fitzgerald, does the old school routine too.

I think we should go to the old MTV Rock 'n Jock Touchdown dance rule. After scoring a TD, a player goes to a circle in the EZ and does his EZ celebration dance. Then a group of judges awards between 1 and 3 points based on creativity and execution.

This old school act like you been there before stuff has been gone since the 80's.

exactly. kevin bacon won the battle against the anti-dance faction in 1984. why are people still fighting it today?

Edited by Dirtbag

Cuba Gooding, Jr. in "Jerry McGuire" probably woulda been ejected AND had the TD erased for his performance...had it been a real game.

what about writing on the soles of his shoes? something like "catch me if you can"?

The old school act is still around. Marvin Harrison was pretty good at it and caught a zillion TDs. The best WR in all of football, Fitzgerald, does the old school routine too.

I think we should go to the old MTV Rock 'n Jock Touchdown dance rule. After scoring a TD, a player goes to a circle in the EZ and does his EZ celebration dance. Then a group of judges awards between 1 and 3 points based on creativity and execution.

Cool, 2 out of 100 recievers do that. Let em dance just penalize em for delay of game if they take too long. Like dirtbag said. Kevin Bacon fought for this right !

And red, what about your boy Fitzy's "scream like a girl" celebrations? those are cool? its just a double standard to me the NFL should just let it go.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I've asked this before, but I never read an answer: is that rock on his face a stick-on, or is it anchored in? Too high up to be pierced, no?

I think Stevie j is a cool dude. He is the face of the franchise right now. I wont call him a diva since I believe he truly does the things he does simply for humor, and to engage with the fans - not because he craves the attention. Similar to eightfive, but in a less self centered manner.

Disagree, he's not even the face of the offense (fred Jax) much less the franchise. He single handidly has lost a game each of the past two seasons with a big time clutch drop. He's got a ways top go to be the face of the franchise.

Humor isn't making fun of an opposing player shooting himself in the leg. Just sayin.

Humor isn't making fun of an opposing player shooting himself in the leg. Just sayin.

i actually think it's hilarious. especially when said player is wearing sweatpants in a nightclub.

plax is a complete and utter moron who deserves our ridicule. shooting someone else would have been a tragedy. shooting himself makes it comedy.

i actually think it's hilarious. especially when said player is wearing sweatpants in a nightclub.

plax is a complete and utter moron who deserves our ridicule. shooting someone else would have been a tragedy. shooting himself makes it comedy.

Dude, I'm not defending an idiot. Imitating one is a little stupid, and imature, as most people would agree with.

I'm with you, man. I thought it was hilarious. Plax deserves whatever ridicule he gets.

You are joking right? You really can't see how those kind of celebrations differ from guys writing messages on their shirts, taking cheerleaders pom pom's, pretending to shoot themselves in the leg to mock other players, ect...? If that is the case there is no helping you in this conversation. Guys have been dancing and celebrating as far back as I can remember...Fine, nothing wrong with that. But there is a limit, at least that is an opinion that many share.

The stuff that SJ got in trouble for in no way compares to anything shown in that video. It's really an awful comparison, and does nothing to make your point. I'm assuming your point is that players should be allowed to celebrate as often as they want, for as long as they want, in any manner they want. Regardless of the disruption to the game, and whether it offends anyone or not.

Not really much difference.... Celebrating after a play is what it is.

Dude, I'm not defending an idiot. Imitating one is a little stupid, and imature, as most people would agree with.

no, you agree with it, which is fine. you may find it immature and stupid. personally, i find it funny that he publicly ridiculed a peer. it doesn't happen very often.

we can have different points of view on this, but arguing that you're right simply because "most people" agree with you is silly. i have no idea who "most people" agree with here and neither do you. all we have is our opinions.

no, you agree with it, which is fine. you may find it immature and stupid. personally, i find it funny that he publicly ridiculed a peer. it doesn't happen very often.

we can have different points of view on this, but arguing that you're right simply because "most people" agree with you is silly. i have no idea who "most people" agree with here and neither do you. all we have is our opinions.

I guess my point is sportsmanship. My thought on most people agreeing is this. He was warned (by the coach),got flagged (for celebrating), and was pulled from the game (team first his first priorty?). A meaningless game for sure. But, he could have won the game for us to? Burress is a tool. Mocking him in the locker room is fine but, when were in his house?? I would argue against it.

You have to wonder if the situation was reversed?

GO BIlls!

Cool, 2 out of 100 recievers do that. Let em dance just penalize em for delay of game if they take too long. Like dirtbag said. Kevin Bacon fought for this right !

Kevin Bacon fought for NFL players rights to dance in the EZ after a TD. I guess I missed that one.

But I could care less about the dancing thing. I think it's dumb, but whatever. When it causes your team to be penalized 3 times in 2 years, one in a game we could have won, I got a problem with it. I watch Bills football to see them win. Period. If I want to watch football players dance, I'll watch Dancing with the Stars.

Here are the guys who finished ahead of SJ this year

Wes Welker

Roddy White

Jimmy Graham

Calvin Johnson

Rob Gronkowski

Percy Harvin

Darren Sproles

Brandon Pettigrew

Victor Cruz

Dwayne Bowe

Brandon Marshall

Marques Colston

Larry Fitzgerald

Tony Gonzalez

Aaron Hernandez

Steve Smith

Jason Witten

Of those, I can't think of any that do outlandish TD dances etc. like SJ does. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Jimmy Graham does the basketball dunk thing. Gronkowski does some nasty spikes. Aside from that, nothing that I can think of. Is it Cruz that does the salsa thing? If so, add him too.

Years ago, yeah you had TO and Chad Johnson and Joe Horn etc. But those things are now history. Actually I think SJ is behind the times on this stuff.

Yeah, and he thought the TShirt thing was "legal".

In all fairness to Stevie and to end this stupid discussion. The year before when he wrote "why so serious?!?" against the Bengals it was never penalized. If Vhan said not to do something that could be taken as a penalty and he knew he's already done that and NOT gotten penalized then why wouldn't you again? Did the NFL change it's rules in undershirts? Did they not see it the first time? All possible answers to the question. But we all know rules change daily in the NFL and if you didn't know then you probably won't know until you get flagged for it. It's probably more along the lines of the regs having it out for Stevie after his Plax and crashing Jet celebration. Either way, I don't fault him for not getting away with something the second time after it was previously allowed. If he fell to the ground again, different story, if he pulle out a sharpie or pom poms, another story. This was really no big deal. it wouldn't have been in the Jets game either if we had a kicker that wasn't as bad as a high school sophmore on kickoffs after Lindell went down. If he wants to celebrate a little after a TD I think most fans would be ok with it granted were winning the game or at least competitive. If were getting smoked that's another story. At the end of the day it's all in the maturity of the player. Jet crashing and plax shooting= bad, Happy New Year and why so Serious?!?= not bad and unoffensive.

That's my take.