Belicheat Strikes Again!

In a billion dollar game, where you can be dropped at any time, there is no "don't screw us and we won't screw you". If anyone but NE had done this no one would have cared. This thread is solely based upon the hatred Bills fans have for NE. It is old and pathetic at this point.

Disagree. There are only 32 GMs out there. Many friends and mentors of each other. Have worked together for decades and owe each other favors and gratitude galore. Many will rely on each other for future jobs, advice, etc.... There are handshake or unspoken agreements all the time. Ever notice RFAs weren't pursued during the CBA issues? This tight knit group very probably agreed to stay away for the greater good. Heck, there was an unspoken salary cap during the uncapped year.

It wouldn't shock me at all if there was a general understanding that late season injuries that knock a guy out next year and this waiver to IR rule make jobs harder so they generally disregard it as a professional courtesy. Problem is, sometimes the benefit outweighs the dirty looks at the owners meeting or unreturned phone call a few months later when the pats want something from the giants or one of their GMs close friends. No big deal, and not coming down on the pats but trying to give perspective on why some teams might look down on the move and no one else made it (as the pats were last in line). Ballard for about 1.5 mil over the next two years and no trade - I think most teams would be glad to do but passed out of customs in the league

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merriman was a bit different as the chargers actually wanted to waive him. In this case the giants pulled a pretty standard issue "don't screw us and we won't screw you" roster move for this time of year. I won't condemn BB for claiming him but am not surprised that some GMs would be frustrated or there would be raised eyebrows.

On Merriman I agree. But for the chargers it was a salary dump too. For the Giants,I don't think they would have saved 250K by just putting him on IR? Poor management decision? the don't screw with us policy I believe is outdated (unfortunately) with all the younger GM's, executives, and coaches .Profits still the bottom line for ownership and executive management.But every team has pressure to win and win big. Didn't Nix's ex team scoop up Meechum in a Buffalo Hotel room while he was here on the Bills dime?I just don't see a big deal on Bellicheat scooping him off waivers and paying the guy his 2012 contract?

The old guard seems to be fading or maybe I just view it that way. Deals like how we ended up with Bennett just don't happen anymore.

Coughlins feelings are the last thing Bellicheat cares about. That said I hope his move crashes and burns on him.

Why do people continually post on threads that they hate the topic. If you don't like it, leave. Most likely he picked him up thinking that he can sign him when Hernendaz leaves. (can't imagine them spending top TE money on two TE's.)

I will tell you why, because it is frustrating to click on a thread where allegedly some sort of legitimate content only to see people crying about nothing. Looks like I am not the only one who feels this way either. I don't hate the topic either, just thought it was making a mountain out of, well, nothing. Also, I will turn it around on you, Why do people comment on post they don't agree with?

At any rate, I was feeling particularly frisky this morning and prolly should have just not looked at this board.

Why can't you see it as it is. An off season story that can be taken apart by conspiracy theorists.

FACT Jake Ballard helped the GiAnts defeat the Putz twice.

Mind games and strategy.

Or

Bellyache holding a grudge for not being hired as the Giants HC.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Giants have themselves to blame for their stupidity. WHy would you waive someone that you like? Even if he is out for a season?

They had to inorder to fill out their 90man roster. He would have occupied a spot. So, they took the risk figuring nobody would pick up a player that won't play this year.

They had to inorder to fill out their 90man roster. He would have occupied a spot. So, they took the risk figuring nobody would pick up a player that won't play this year.

Again. They have themselves to blame. If you love a player that much, you don't waive them no matter what.

Again. They have themselves to blame. If you love a player that much, you don't waive them no matter what.

If everyone but Belicheat thought like that, then yes. But it is no coincidence that no other team picked up Ballard, as there must be some gentlemen's agreement amongst GM's not to do such a thing.

If everyone but Belicheat thought like that, then yes. But it is no coincidence that no other team picked up Ballard, as there must be some gentlemen's agreement amongst GM's not to do such a thing.

Jeez, the owners sure do have a lot on "gentlemen's agreements"! Just ask the Cowboys and the Redskins. They disregarded the "gentlemen's agreement" ("collusion") that all teams would adhere to a "salary cap" in an uncapped year.

i agree - there must be something. and like you said, we know that no one else claimed him. you obviously dont do it with someone that you absolutely cant afford to lose, but i think theres a degree of looking out for each other that goes on between these GMs. While examples like free agency are obviously free for alls, and these are not hard rules, its such a small community that theres bound to be a certain level of "respecting the system."

A "gentlemans agreement" in this context is meaningless.

I'm no fan of BellyCheat or the pats*, but if it is not against the rules then he is free to do what he wants.

If other GMs don't like it, then they should do something meaningful about it.

I don't know what the problem is .... Ballard was placed on waivers, a procedure which allows any team to claim him. I'm sure the waiver didn't come with a gentleman's agreement clause attached :rolleyes:

That's just it, it was on the basis of being able to move him to injured reserve so they can continue his care. Most decent men would leave Ballard alone. We all know Beel Bellycheat is not a decent man. Now Ballard has to adjust to an entirely different medical staff in mid-treatment, which isn't easy on the lad psychologically.

A "gentlemans agreement" in this context is meaningless.

I'm no fan of BellyCheat or the pats*, but if it is not against the rules then he is free to do what he wants.

If other GMs don't like it, then they should do something meaningful about it.

Certainly not something big - or against any rules. It's the move of a man that doesn't much care what peers think of him. That's the conversation, and it makes sense it'd be BB

That's just it, it was on the basis of being able to move him to injured reserve so they can continue his care. Most decent men would leave Ballard alone. We all know Beel Bellycheat is not a decent man. Now Ballard has to adjust to an entirely different medical staff in mid-treatment, which isn't easy on the lad psychologically.

Are you a psychologist?

Give me a break. Players change teams all of the time in the NFL. It's part of the gig. If the players can't take it then they need to find employment in another line of work. As for rehabbing ..... the Pats have access to the best medical people in the world.

BTW, if the Giants wanted to "continue his care" they would have kept him on the 90 man roster and cut some nobody who isn't going to make the team instead.

Are you a psychologist?

Give me a break. Players change teams all of the time in the NFL. It's part of the gig. If the players can't take it then they need to find employment in another line of work. As for rehabbing ..... the Pats have access to the best medical people in the world.

BTW, if the Giants wanted to "continue his care" they would have kept him on the 90 man roster and cut some nobody who isn't going to make the team instead.

No, but telling somebody mid-recvovery you have to move 400 miles and go to another set of doctors wouldn't be favorable to anyone.

Really---where's this poor kid gonna find decent medical care in Boston?

It isn't that there is no decent medical care in Boston, it is that Ballard has no reassurances that the doctors of the Flying Elvi* will continue with the same prescribed plan that the G-men's doctors gave him to begin with. It may psychologically hurt the lad.

I hate Belichick as much as anybody here but what did he do wrong here? He snatched up a player that was released by the Giants and now Coughlin is crying about it. Once he's been waived, he's fair game for any team.

Considering that Merriman's done absolutely NOTHING for us and he's always injured, we still managed to hold on to him and not waive him. Why? BEcause we obviously see something in him and have faith him in. Giants have themselves to blame for losing Ballard