Los Angeles Kings: Stanley Cup Champs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uniondale is on Long Island and that

I believe is a burrough of New York City.

Not a bourough... Which county is it? Suffolk? Or is that Nassau county?

It's OK, CGF, I always get LI and Queens confused too :D

LOL... I went to UB, I sure couldn't tell the difference! They are all brutal!

My team is the Dallas Cowboys. We are

the same age as the Bills. 1960-1971, we

played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

In 1971, we moved to a new stadium in

IRVING Texas.

In 2009, the team moved to ARLINGTON

Texas.

All this being said, we are called the Dallas

Cowboys!!

Exactly my point... I suspect, some regions do try and distance themselves from the big city like the whole OC thing. Too funny... Must be the high falutiness... I can't imagine the Bears moving to Barrington and being named the Barrington Bears of Lake County... LOL.

Uniondale is in Nassau County.

The Islanders play in Nassau County

Coliseum.

Yeah... I couldn't remember... It didn't sound right "Suffolk County Coliseum", but Nassau for some reason didn't ring a bell memorywise either. WOW, just proves how irrelevant the Isles have become in 30 years... :worthy:

Does Orchard Park count as Buffalo? Same if the Bears played in Schaumberg... The team would still be the Chicago Bears... Funny how certain areas associate with the city around it while some don't.

Anway... I would think Uniondale yes. The Isles do get a pass because New York counts as a city and state. Now, Newark no... Different states... Same as if the Bears moved to Hammond, IN... That would be a no to "Chicago Bears" even though Chicago and Hammond share a border.

Anaheim... I think of LA. Sorry to offend you Chef... :nana:

That's because you probably dont live around here.

Like chef says

NO ONE IN ORANGE COUNTY IN THE CITY OF ANAHEIM considers themselves to be LA

NO ONE IN LA accepts an ORANGE COUNTY ANAHEIM team to be LA either

In LA there is only one baseball team. They wear blue.

Ask anyone that lives in la or orange county and they will tell you the exact same thing.

Go kings!

Like chef says

Ask anyone that lives in la or orange county and they will tell you the exact same thing.

Go kings!

When I lived in south OC I was probably closer to SD than LA (not really, we could just relate to SD more). When people that live outside of SoCal think LA they either think LA county or all of southern California. I lived in Long Beach for 14 years and never once thought I was from LA. The closest I got was when I live in West Hollywood for 7 years. I moved there about a year after they incorporated. Best move I ever made was getting out of LA county and moving to Orange county. I still miss it.

Yeah... I couldn't remember... It didn't sound right "Suffolk County Coliseum", but Nassau for some reason didn't ring a bell memorywise either. WOW, just proves how irrelevant the Isles have become in 30 years... :worthy:

I have an enormous love for sports and

a by product is that it has taught me geography.

I have 4 teams to support on my own and

with the Bills 6 others. I love to look at maps

and learn where each team plays.

Like chef says

Go kings!

Interesting Clippers... Interesting to say the least.

Why is this so. I never realized this, why does Orange County have such independence? Well besides being in a different county... It is a collar county to LA... Right? I am being serious. Has it always been like that? It is only in recent years, with myself that is, I have learned to differentiate the two (LA-OC). Being so close, and within state, any other place I can think of would associate themselves with the bigger, older city. Must be the newness of the people living there. I really don't know the history... Are there a lot more transplants than say true locals living there?

Interesting Clippers... Interesting to say the least.

Why is this so. I never realized this, why does Orange County have such independence? Well besides being in a different county... It is a collar county to LA... Right? I am being serious. Has it always been like that? It is only in recent years, with myself that is, I have learned to differentiate the two (LA-OC). Being so close, and within state, any other place I can think of would associate themselves with the bigger, older city. Must be the newness of the people living there. I really don't know the history... Are there a lot more transplants than say true locals living there?

I've lived here for 30 years and it's been that way since I moved. It's always been called behind the orange curtain. It's very conservative compared to LA. It was very rural and was loaded with orange trees (hence the namen) and strawberry fields when I moved here orginally. It's much different with regard to the geography. The LA basin is flat and paved from one end to the other. It was always the ugly red headed step child to the tinsel town feel of LA/Hollywood. It is more populated by locals whereas LA is filled with tons of transplants. OC is very religious (reason it's conservative). Look up Saddleback Church and you'll get a sense of how religious it is. And there was no bigger FU to LA when the Ducks won the cup and the Angels won the series. It really has a much more "small town" feel compared to LA. And because of all this they really don't like it when people say "oh, you're from LA"

I've lived here for 30 years and it's been that way since I moved. It's always been called behind the orange curtain. It's very conservative compared to LA. It was very rural and was loaded with orange trees (hence the namen) and strawberry fields when I moved here orginally. It's much different with regard to the geography. The LA basin is flat and paved from one end to the other. It was always the ugly red headed step child to the tinsel town feel of LA/Hollywood. It is more populated by locals whereas LA is filled with tons of transplants. OC is very religious (reason it's conservative). Look up Saddleback Church and you'll get a sense of how religious it is. And there was no bigger FU to LA when the Ducks won the cup and the Angels won the series. It really has a much more "small town" feel compared to LA. And because of all this they really don't like it when people say "oh, you're from LA"

Cool... Thanks for the info.

Is there any other metro area that has these sort of dynamics?

The Sabres could have handled them. :angry:

The Sabres did handle the Kings when they played in Berlin last October. The Kings did it like it is supposed to be done. Their playoff success on the road may never be equaled in our lifetime. The Kings just made it into the playoffs. The Sabres just missed getting in.

The Sabres have urgent problems with the Bruins and Flyers among other issues such as...scoring goals.

Losing games to the Flyers and then the Bruins in the last week of the season was a metaphor for the season.

One thing that really bothered me was how the press called the last game of the season against the Bruins a "meaningless game". That mindset must change. No game against the Bruins is EVER meaningless. Even preseason games against "THEM" has meaning. And add the Flyers to that sentiment.

Like chef says

Go kings!

That may be true among sports fans but I have met many people (during my twenty years of living in So Cal) who say they are from L.A. only to later learn that they are from (way) outside L.A. In fact, when someone tells me that they are from L.A., I ask them to clarify where in L.A. because the inaccuracy is fairly frequent. Recently, I met this lady who claimed she was from L.A. only to learn that she was from Newport Beach (in Orange County). The excuse given is that the non-Angeleno assumes people haven't heard of their town. Yeah, I know. Newport Beach? Who hasn't heard of Newport? When it comes to sports fans, Anaheim in particular, they are adamant about being from Anaheim or Orange County. I have been to a number of Ducks games and many of the fans seem angry and bitter. The Ducks fans get sick and damn tired of opposing fans coming into the their building. I don't blame them. The same anger exists in San Diego when Dodger fans pour into town for baseball games. Always fights and widespread alcohol abuse! Anaheim and San Diego both resent L.A.

One interesting thing to watch in the aftermath of the Kings Cup win is the growth of hockey in So Cal. Californians are starting to be drafted into the NHL. One example is Emerson Etem (yes, the one who called Buffalo a "ghost town" at the 2011 WJC), who led the CHL with 61 goals this past season.

That may be true among sports fans but I have met many people (during my twenty years of living in So Cal) who say they are from L.A. only to later learn that they are from (way) outside L.A. In fact, when someone tells me that they are from L.A., I ask them to clarify where in L.A. because the inaccuracy is fairly frequent. Recently, I met this lady who claimed she was from L.A. only to learn that she was from Newport Beach (in Orange County). The excuse given is that the non-Angeleno assumes people haven't heard of their town. Yeah, I know. Newport Beach? Who hasn't heard of Newport? When it comes to sports fans, Anaheim in particular, they are adamant about being from Anaheim or Orange County. I have been to a number of Ducks games and many of the fans seem angry and bitter. The Ducks fans get sick and damn tired of opposing fans coming into the their building. I don't blame them. The same anger exists in San Diego when Dodger fans pour into town for baseball games. Always fights and widespread alcohol abuse! Anaheim and San Diego both resent L.A.

One interesting thing to watch in the aftermath of the Kings Cup win is the growth of hockey in So Cal. Californians are starting to be drafted into the NHL. One example is Emerson Etem (yes, the one who called Buffalo a "ghost town" at the 2011 WJC), who led the CHL with 61 goals this past season.

I'm not sure what you mean by way outside LA. As you know LA county is huge and goes from Long Beach to the San Fernando Valley. So when someone who lives in LA county is asked where they're from they tend to say LA which is technically correct. Because who the hell has heard of Calabasas or Azusa (except those of us that grew up on Bugs Bunny cartoons). But to hear someone from Newport Beach say they're from LA is just weird. So very rarely does someone from OC tell people they're from LA. It's either they're from Orange county or Southern California.

Actually the major boom in hockey in SoCal came when Wayne Gretzky came to town. I was offered the job as his personal chef but turned it down.

Edited by Chef Jim

Kings came in 1967... I always thought So. Cal was a strong hockey market from the start. A lot of northern transplants...

Not beating on the whole ice resurfacer thing... But beinig invented in So. Cal... The Zamboni revolutionized all ice sports. For that to happen, there had to be an ice skating market. ?? Think about how much labor it took to resurface a slab of ice in the early days... What a brilliant invention.

That we thank you for So. Cal!

Kings came in 1967... I always thought So. Cal was a strong hockey market from the start. A lot of northern transplants...

Not beating on the whole ice resurfacer thing... But beinig invented in So. Cal... The Zamboni revolutionized all ice sports. For that to happen, there had to be an ice skating market. ?? Think about how much labor it took to resurface a slab of ice in the early days... What a brilliant invention.

That we thank you for So. Cal!

True lots of northern transplants but Gretzky got the kids excited about hockey. You never saw kids playing hockey or following it before he came to town. Other than the Miracle on Manchester there wasn't a lot of talk about hockey pre-Gretzky. If it weren't for him there may have never been a Ducks team.

True lots of northern transplants but Gretzky got the kids excited about hockey. You never saw kids playing hockey or following it before he came to town. Other than the Miracle on Manchester there wasn't a lot of talk about hockey pre-Gretzky. If it weren't for him there may have never been a Ducks team.

Wasn't it the DIsney movie that got the Ducks team going? Weren't they the "Mighty Ducks" when the team was founded.

Wasn't it the DIsney movie that got the Ducks team going? Weren't they the "Mighty Ducks" when the team was founded.

You're partially correct. They were the Mighty Ducks for many years and they got the name because they were originally owned by Disney but they did not come about because of movie the came about because of the surge in the interest in hockey in southern CA due in large part to the arrival of Wayne Gretzky.

I would say it's conservative more so because of the amount of wealth in OC compared to LA. But that's an LA perspective so it may be wrong?