Lost in the Wisconsin Recal Fervor

While everyone was focused on the collective bargaining aspect of the laws enacted by that enemy of the working man, few noticed this little Pro-Choice tidbit.

I say Pro-Choice because it allows workers to choose if they want Union dues taken from their paycheck.

American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) membership dropped from 62,818 in March 2011 to 28,745 in February 2012

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304821304577436462413999718.html

Still waiting for one of the liberals here to explain what is so wrong with Walker's policies.....

How is allowing state employees the freedom to decide whether or not to join the union a bad thing? Ditto for requiring them to make very modest contributions to their own pension and health benefits.

Still waiting for one of the liberals here to explain what is so wrong with Walker's policies.....

How is allowing state employees the freedom to decide whether or not to join the union a bad thing? Ditto for requiring them to make very modest contributions to their own pension and health benefits.

Do you want them to explain it logically and coherently, or just regurgitate stupidity?

Because I don't think you're gonna get 1 of those options...

Do you want them to explain it logically and coherently, or just regurgitate stupidity?

Because I don't think you're gonna get 1 of those options...

I'm pretty sure the former won't be forthcoming since no one has been able to do that in two years; but the later might be good for amusement, especially if they resort to the always popular "working families" lament.

Lost by who? This is the biggest reason the unions were fighting.

No they were fighting for the teachers and police and puppy dogs and against greedy Republicans. I don't recall hearing anything about letting workers decide if they even want to be in a Union.

No they were fighting for the teachers and police and puppy dogs and against greedy Republicans. I don't recall hearing anything about letting workers decide if they even want to be in a Union.

You may be right. But I also recall some ads about building more protective barriers, so grandmas would be pushed off the cliff so easily.

It was absolutely a part of the intial discussion. We discussed it here back when the protesters were banging drums because it literally put upwards of $1000/year in many people's pockets and there was NO WAY many of them were going to give it back just to be a member of the union.

Didn't take much to predict that correctly, but there it is...

It was covered here -- although always glossed over in the talking points.

My in-laws are both instructors at a technical college, and are both very anti-Walker. After the legislation, I was in the car with my father-in-law and he lamented that his paychecks are down and the union has no power. I countered and said, "You can offset the losses by not paying union dues." He responded, "No, we need the union." I asked him why contribute if they have no power, and he just said "Because the union is important." Ummm, ok.... :unsure:

Everyone wants to be in a union. I mean why else would the unions have spent years pushing for federal legislation to require that a majority of the total workforce vote not to unionize in order to defeat unionization, to remove secret ballots and allow union "observers" in the voting booth when workers are voting to unionize?