Great country songs

Buftex

Going to see my buddy, Bruce Robison, and his wife Kelly Willis tonight...he is one of the best country song-writers around today, and she has one of the most beautiful voices, ever...funny little clip:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of shania twains songs i like. She is my favorite female country artist. She will be in vegas in December. Cant wait for that!

Her new single with lionel richie is great. "Endless love" I like it better than the diana ross version. However i respect or value the ross version more. Whatever that means. lol.

I know its not a hate country thread. But i hate that song about "water" that was very popular last year. Forgot who sings it. A song about water????? Really?????

Ps. The females in country are kicking ass right now. Miranda Lambert. Lady A (yes i know 2 other dudes are in the group), Sugarland (yes I know), Carrie U just to name a few.

90% of shania twains songs i like. She is my favorite female country artist. She will be in vegas in December. Cant wait for that!

Her new single with lionel richie is great. "Endless love" I like it better than the diana ross version. However i respect or value the ross version more. Whatever that means. lol.

I know its not a hate country thread. But i hate that song about "water" that was very popular last year. Forgot who sings it. A song about water????? Really?????

Ps. The females in country are kicking ass right now. Miranda Lambert. Lady A (yes i know 2 other dudes are in the group), Sugarland (yes I know), Carrie U just to name a few.

The only near bout country artist you named was Lambert. She has the voice and the attitude. Sugarland to some point, but they are a band.

Gone are the days of Reba, Patsy, Trisha, and Martina. It wont be 5years before Britney goes country claiming it is back to her roots.

62 replies and no mention of Sunday Morning Coming Down? Cash made it famous but Kristofferson wrote it and I haven't seen anything by him yet in this thread so here's his version (with an opening tribute to Johnny Cash)

I listen to everything pretty much except country and pop. But Wilco is one of my favorites and I dig Woody Guthrie- so that is pretty close to country

Wilco is my favorite band. Definite country background (Uncle Tupelo), and have consistently cranked out some of the best folk/country songs over the past 17 years. Hank Williams Sr and crew would have had them on the GOO stage but I doubt anyone in "country" music today hasheard of them.

62 replies and no mention of Sunday Morning Coming Down? Cash made it famous but Kristofferson wrote it and I haven't seen anything by him yet in this thread so here's his version (with an opening tribute to Johnny Cash)

youtube.com/watch?v=men-059FGL0&feature=related

i had him up....

Wilco is my favorite band. Definite country background (Uncle Tupelo), and have consistently cranked out some of the best folk/country songs over the past 17 years. Hank Williams Sr and crew would have had them on the GOO stage but I doubt anyone in "country" music today hasheard of them.

I am not sure that all "country" fans are the simpletons that you seem to suggest.

The only near bout country artist you named was Lambert. She has the voice and the attitude. Sugarland to some point, but they are a band.

Gone are the days of Reba, Patsy, Trisha, and Martina. It wont be 5years before Britney goes country claiming it is back to her roots.

You may be right. But if Shania Twain can be found in the country section. I'm putting her in the country category.

Same thing for Lady Antebellum. If they rule the "Country Music Awards", then again, I'm putting them in the country category.

I know they are a little poppy. But oh well. I like it. At least I didnt say Taylor Swift. (Even though I like her too) Doh!

Ps. Honestly I like almost everything. From Jayz to System of a Down to the new electronica to some calm jazz.

I am not sure that all "country" fans are the simpletons that you seem to suggest.

He was probably talking about me.

You may be right. But if Shania Twain can be found in the country section. I'm putting her in the country category.

Same thing for Lady Antebellum. If they rule the "Country Music Awards", then again, I'm putting them in the country category.

I know they are a little poppy. But oh well. I like it. At least I didnt say Taylor Swift. (Even though I like her too) Doh!

Ps. Honestly I like almost everything. From Jayz to System of a Down to the new electronica to some calm jazz.

He was probably talking about me.

I have a CD burned of Skilrex/Korn on the first track, Pop Evil on the 2nd, and then Lil Jimmy Dickens the next two, followed by the Who. I am right there with you. Also, Rebecca Black Friday is the last song. It plays really good in a diesel F350...it turns heads at the least.

what can i say? i'm an oldtimer. pretty risque for the time.

:thumbsup: Awesome pick... Charlie Rich is one of my all-time, all-time faves... he never got the credit he was due, but he was doing, basically the same thing as Ray Charles, back in the 50's and 60's, merging r-n-b with country...and what a great voice. For him, unfortunately, "Behind Closed Doors" and "The Most Beautiful Girl In the World" were his most successful recordings...he hated them.

Always loved this song..."She's a Yum Yum"

Edited by Buftex

• 2 weeks later...

I had thought 90s country was so superior to new country, which is little more than a bunch of metro-sexuals in cowboy hats singing about how cold their beer is, but I was listening on Pandora last night and realized a lot of that stuff was pure garbage as well, except for a few scattered gems. Although I gotta say, short of The Zach Brown Band I'm at a loss for the gems mixed in with the new crowd.

Charlie Rich reminded me of "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues"...Dwight Yoakam style...

youtube.com/watch?v=dZNmFR19m_I&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL02C86C93BCB93913

How did Charlie Rich remind you of that song? Wasn't it orginally done by Danny O'Keefe? Or was it a cover by him?

Anyway... I also like the Dwight Yoakam take on the Bakersfield sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DkcQ09h2Vo

How did Charlie Rich remind you of that song? Wasn't it orginally done by Danny O'Keefe? Or was it a cover by him?

Anyway... I also like the Dwight Yoakam take on the Bakersfield sound...

youtube.com/watch?v=9DkcQ09h2Vo

No, Danny O'Keefe wrote it... it was covered by many, including Rich. He was nicknamed "Goodtime Charlie" because, not only did he have a bit of a drinking problem...but also battled depression most of his life. So, "Goodtime Charlie's got the blues" seemed a appropriate.

For me, Dwight Yoakam was one of the handful of timeless country acts to emerge from the 80's and 90's... also George Strait. These are guys that will go down with the all-time greats.

No, Danny O'Keefe wrote it... it was covered by many, including Rich. He was nicknamed "Goodtime Charlie" because, not only did he have a bit of a drinking problem...but also battled depression most of his life. So, "Goodtime Charlie's got the blues" seemed a appropriate.

For me, Dwight Yoakam was one of the handful of timeless country acts to emerge from the 80's and 90's... also George Strait. These are guys that will go down with the all-time greats.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even did some acting too... Slingblade.