Let's all thank President Obama for lower gas prices

Well, even with the tortured Administtration accounting the Unemployment rate has gone back up to 8.2%

Unemployment has been calculated the same way for years and years and you're blaming this admin for that? Wow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Workforce participation increased by 2/10 of one percent so unemployment went up without enough new jobs being increased. Why did workforce participation increase? Could it have something to do with unemployment benefits running out after 2 f'n years? The Obama administration has been getting the advantage of figures created by people giving up, but with somewhat of a safety net. Now they have to face the figures when people are desperate. Anyway, real unemployment is somewhere near double what is published. Hope and Change was really Smoke and Mirrors.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Unemployment has been calculated the same way for years and years and you're blaming this admin for that? Wow.

Actually, my recollection from looking at the monthly labor reports a while back is that they made some changes to it a few years ago (sometime in 2009, I think).

Actually, my recollection from looking at the monthly labor reports a while back is that they made some changes to it a few years ago (sometime in 2009, I think).

in 2009 they changed the way they counted long term unemployment they use to have the last grouping as 99+ weeks whether you were unemployed for a 100 weeks or 300 weeks now they are breaking it into more groupings.

"We realize more and more people are unemployed longer than 99 weeks, so we need to break it down further," [bLS spokesperson Stacey] Standish says.

Long-term unemployment has grown markedly over the past few years. The BLS says the average length of unemployment has increased from 29.4 weeks in November 2009 to 34.5 weeks last month. Nearly 10% of the USA's 15.1 million jobless have been looking for work for two years or more.

This doesn't change the unemployment rate statistics reported by the media to the masses but provides more information to economists who can use the information to make more inane policy suggestions.

We're blaming the admin for the horrible unemployment percentage. Not the calculation of it. And while it hasn't changed, the denominator is smaller than ever before, while the numerator has more underemployed than ever before.

We're blaming the admin for the horrible unemployment percentage. Not the calculation of it. And while it hasn't changed, the denominator is smaller than ever before, while the numerator has more underemployed than ever before.

I blame the President along with Congress. There is no plans on either side. It's all politics, all the time! I'm really getting sick of it. Everything is so partisan now. Something really needs to change.

On the right, even hinting to work with the other side to compromise is a death sentence. Sickening.

Meanwhile, the Democrats can't put together anything to help the struggling economy. If they do have them, they are scared as usual because of possible ramifications at the booth.

On the right, even hinting to work with the other side to compromise is a death sentence. Sickening.

As opposed to Obama telling the right that they need to sit in the back seat?

Or coming up with a "To Do List" and telling Congress they need to pass the "To Do List" while going out fundraising?

I blame the President along with Congress. There is no plans on either side. It's all politics, all the time! I'm really getting sick of it. Everything is so partisan now. Something really needs to change.

Meanwhile, the Democrats can't put together anything to help the struggling economy. If they do have them, they are scared as usual because of possible ramifications at the booth.

As you, I, and everyone else should. But the majority of the blame lies with Barry and Congress in his first 2 years. They did nothing to address jobs or the economy, which were the main problems back then as well, and told Repubs to "sit at the back." Now the Repubs refuse to work with Barry or the Dems and while it's not what you want to see, no one can blame them. You reap what you sow.

As you, I, and everyone else should. But the majority of the blame lies with Barry and Congress in his first 2 years. They did nothing to address jobs or the economy, which were the main problems back then as well, and told Repubs to "sit at the back." Now the Repubs refuse to work with Barry or the Dems and while it's not what you want to see, no one can blame them. You reap what you sow.

The first 2 years, things were at least getting down. Stimulus bill worked to an extent, but was not large enough or targeted well. Health care had some good things but came up short. At least SOMETHING was being done is help.

The Republicans approach of playing politics with this shaky economy is lowest of the low. (Democrats guilty too)

The first 2 years, things were at least getting down. Stimulus bill worked to an extent, but was not large enough or targeted well. Health care had some good things but came up short. At least SOMETHING was being done is help.

The Republicans approach of playing politics with this shaky economy is lowest of the low. (Democrats guilty too)

Doing something doesn't automatically equate to helping. If I pour gasoline on a fire, I'm doing something. But obviously I'm not helping.

To blame congress (i.e. Repubs) after what he pulled his first 2 years is laughable. But I expect no less from Barry now. He won't take ownership of his failures and needs to blame others, which is a well-known tactic of certain people.

How much of those "Stimulus" funds remain unspent to this day? Any idea?

How much of those "Stimulus" funds remain unspent to this day? Any idea?

I know a bridge in Davidson Co., NC that is spent...but not even began on construction. Does that helps? The two bridges, actually, equal about $100mm.

I always thought there was little any president could do to affect gas prices. But back in March, Republican Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming declared that Obama was "fully responsible for what the American public is paying for gasoline.”

So I stand corrected. And given this new fact, it would only be fair that those that criticized the President when prices rose, now thank him for the lower prices. To do otherwise would be hypocritical, and that's not the "AmerCIAn" way. So feel free to leave your thanks below.

What Obama needs to do is ok the Keystone pipeline so that we can be somewhat prospective in our energy efforts. He acts like you can't research alternative sources of energy and drill contemporaneously with one another. He has ZERO strategic vision domestically. He is so reactionary. Everything is "after-the-fact."

It's sad because the people who would really really make great presidents, namely Jeb Bush and Robert Erlich, won't run. The people who have less regard for the institution and the direction of the country, than their own prestige, glad-handing, and power-brokerism, always run.

What Obama needs to do is ok the Keystone pipeline so that we can be somewhat prospective in our energy efforts. He acts like you can't research alternative sources of energy and drill contemporaneously with one another. He has ZERO strategic vision domestically. He is so reactionary. Everything is "after-the-fact."

It's sad because the people who would really really make great presidents, namely Jeb Bush and Robert Erlich, won't run. The people who have less regard for the institution and the direction of the country, than their own prestige, glad-handing, and power-brokerism, always run.

Read my thread on energy independence.

That's because in keeping with my "liberals are like children," they can't plan for/deal with the future. It's all "here and now" with them.