Chris Kelsay

eball

Again in eball's Chris Brown quote I read buzz words like "leadership" and "work ethic" regarding CK. I'm surprised "high motor" wasn't tossed in as well for good measure. Very rarely do I see anything talking about actual "performance."

If Brown's quote was accurate, and Kelsay was a well-rounded DE who just didn't get the sack numbers, I'd have no problem with him. But too often I see a CK that disappears for games at a time, a CK that gets blown out of plays off the snap and still, after 10 years in the NFL, still takes himself out of plays by taking undisciplined bad angles to the ball carrier and/or the QB.

"too often I see a CK that disappears for games at a time".

I'll take that s step further and say Kelsay has disappeared for seasons at a time. He is sadly a integral part of the decade+ culture of failure. A rotational player at BEST on any of the other 31 clubs. I blame it on talent not his work ethic, attitude or anything else. Obviously he is a team player.

I have nothing against Kelsay, if he's a ra ra locker room gut well that's great. I see a guy that is second to only Brad Smith as the biggest waste of payroll $$ on the Bills current roster. You can put Kelsays complete career highlights on one game the Broncos 2011. I hope Kelsay has a clean copy to show his grand kids someday.

Go Bills!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a guy that is second to only Brad Smith as the biggest waste of payroll $$ on the Bills current roster.

Go Bills!

Hey, don't dis Brad Smith. He's a Swiss Army knife that saves roster spots (QB/WR/KR). His #1 purpose should be Wildcat QB. He was successful with it last year. If Chan sticks with it he'll be worth the $$$. Either way, Kelsay's a way bigger waste.

130 posts later, I'd say you're incorrect. ;)

Anyway, I don't give a crap about Kelsay's contract. I don't write the checks, and his contract hasn't prevented the Bills from signing anyone else. If fans are upset with Kelsay because THEY believe he hasn't earned his money, well, that's also ridiculous. Clearly, Bills' management thinks he's an important piece of the puzzle.

And just for the hell of it, more Kelsay admiration from the Bills' new DC, Wanny:

"There's nobody that wants to win more than him and [he] practices that way, shows that in meetings, shows it in walk throughs," Wannstedt said. "[it's] kind of how he lives his life and that's why he's been such a good player for so long."

But I know, the fans know better.

It seems that this board always needs a player to hate upon ... and, yes I think that contract is one of the primary reasons it's as if each hater had his own paycheck cut so that Kelsay received more money.

But each coach talks about his play on the field. His teammates all seem to support his play on the field. I guess I must have blinders on because I have spent time exclusively watching Kelsay to see if he 'takes time' off and have never seen it. I have seen him come from the opposite side of the field to chase runners down but taking off games or seasons ... come on now.

As for the sacks ... not every defensive end is the king of sacks. I don't have time to pull the numbers around the league but Kelsay has had a decent number of pressures every year and for many of those years he was the only pressure.

The move to linebacker was plain stupid but then again Jauron and Brown didn't do a whole lot of succesful game planning. Kelsay is not a linebacker but he will be on this roster in September once again contributing on the field play after play and yes, he will be overpaid but then again aren't most of these guys overpaid for playing a game?

Bottom line,he`s not great. But I`ve seen a hell of a lot worse. Plays the run good. Always a step away as a pass rusher.

+1 in terms of your assessment of Kelsay.

Add to this him pissing off a lot of fans because he negotiated an extension which was for a great player when at best he was serviceable with a brilliant game here or there which vexed folks as to why he was not consistently briliant rather than show mere flashes.

Add to this that there were some pretty clear side effects of him simply getting the best deal he could get. It really seemed to lead directly to Aaron Schobel, a much more valued player siting out OTAs and pouting until the Bills extended him in mid-contract to make his pay more equal that of the less productive (in the judgment of most) Kelsay.

Add to that the Bills telling a bold faces lie in refusing to renegotiate the contract of Jason Peters mid contract when they had already done this with Schobel and even had done this with Peters when they he keapt into the starting RT role but was making near the minimum. When her leapt into the LT role the braintrust decided to hold him to RT money and so on and so on when he made first one then another Pro Bowl.

Kelsay's contract though seemingly underserved by his play triggered the Schoble debacle and led to the Bills verbally refusing to renegotiate Peters (but then ironically they caved into give him exactly what he wanted as he scored the biggest LT deal ever from the Iggles.

None of this was Kelsay's fault but clearly contributed to the bad feelings of many about him.

Was the post relevant or not?

No, it wasn't.

You brought it out of nowhere as another ad hominem attack on "the fans who don't know better" (the ones that don't agree with you). You haven't convinced anyone to adopt your opinion of Kelsay with your quotes from the player's coach and the "lead reporter" who works for the team---so not relevant.

Edited by Mr. WEO

He's this guy on the Bills who all the intellectual idiot types seem to pile upon and say that he is completely useless.

Correction including those who say he disappeared for a year - were they watching CFL instead?

No, it wasn't.

You brought it out of nowhere as another ad hominem attack on "the fans who don't know better" (the ones that don't agree with you). You haven't convinced anyone to adopt your opinion of Kelsay with your quotes from the player's coach and the "lead reporter" who works for the team---so not relevant.

I brought it out of "today" genius. Not as if I went digging. Go grind your axe elsewhere.

I try to be a silver lining type of guy, so I view it like this: After a decade of watching Kelsay try and struggle (and often fail) to be a starter-quality DE, he finally gets to play the role of the rotational backup where he's always belonged.

I agree.

Kelsay will be wonderful in rotation, I fully expect 7.5 sacks this year.

The only way Kelsay gets 7.5 sacks this year is if 7 different Qb's heads spontaneously combust and they simply run into

Kelsay and fall down!

:D

I also think he'll be fine in rotation.

if anderson wasnt on the team kelsay probably would get over seven sacks simply because he will face single teams while the oline is focusing on williams, williams, dareus and merriman. but since anderson is on the team he will take passing down plays and limit rushing opportunities for kelsay

still, kelsay should have his best season overall for the same reason

if anderson wasnt on the team kelsay probably would get over seven sacks simply because he will face single teams while the oline is focusing on williams, williams, dareus and merriman. but since anderson is on the team he will take passing down plays and limit rushing opportunities for kelsay

Yeah, because teams were constantly double and triple teaming Kelsay in the past! :lol: Seriously, what games have you been watching?

Strating/bumping a thread like this is so ridiculous. Especially when almost every Bills fan, from the most cynical to the blind loyalists have been blown away by the effort and direction of the team this offseason. I can't figure if eball was trying to say "i told you so" or if he was trying to be decisive.

I guess you can say, once a Polly always a Polly. :thumbsup:

Yeah, because teams were constantly double and triple teaming Kelsay in the past! :lol: Seriously, what games have you been watching?

Strating/bumping a thread like this is so ridiculous. Especially when almost every Bills fan, from the most cynical to the blind loyalists have been blown away by the effort and direction of the team this offseason. I can't figure if eball was trying to say "i told you so" or if he was trying to be decisive.

I guess you can say, once a Polly always a Polly. :thumbsup:

To borrow from DC Tom, "you're an idiot." The "effort and direction of the team this offseason" was immediately met with, "good -- now they can cut Kelsay." This post was started over a month ago to address the know-it-all fans who really know nothing. It was absolutely relevant then, and now.

But have fun with your little "Pollyanna" jokes simply because you can't stomach fans who actually enjoy following the team and aren't always looking to criticize.

I guess you can say, once a douche always a douche. :thumbsup: