RE: M. Anderson/C. Kelsay

LLB: S. Merrison/K. Morrison

MLB: K. Shepperd/T. Carder ®

RLB: N. Barnett/A. Moats

CB: A. Williams/T. McGee

SS: G. Wilson/D. Searcy

FS: J. Byrd/B. Scott

CB: S. Gilmore ®/L. McFumbles

Opinions? Will you go to war with that defense?

Edited by Overseas Bills Fan

In my opinion, Merriman is out of position at 43 OLB.

Coming off an achilles procedure, to a position where he's never played and he'll have to cover and play in space doesn't seem like the best fit. Especially since his greatest/only strength is as a pass rusher.

Also, from Chan:

Gailey said Merriman will get the chance to prove he can come back. “Yeah. The key is for us to get him healthy. Let’s get him healthy and let’s see what he can do.”

If he can come back, Merriman will not play outside linebacker in the 4-3 scheme. “I’d rather him not. I think we’d rather him be a right defensive end rushing the passer all the time.”

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2012/02/chan-on-merriman-brad.html

First of all, Merrison seems like a good OLB but I've never heard of him... :unsure:

Merriman, however, would be better as a DE because he wouldn't take that many snaps during a game. I can see him being a package OLB though but not very often. If I was the DC, I would try to put all of my playmakers on the field every once in a while.

LE: M. Williams/S. Johnson

DT: K. Williams/Troup

DT: M. Dareus/A. Carrington

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

1338371988[/url]' post='2476929']

I will include rotational players only at the first level of subbing:

I don't think you understand the 4-3 defense and the role of a LB in the scheme. Shawne Merriman is a pass rusher first and foremost. In the 4-3 defense, the LBs role is rarely to get after the qb. If Merriman is on the field, his role should be rushing the qb or setting the edge. That's what 4-3 DEs need to do. I can't envision him playing lb unless he's strictly asked to blitz, which IMO, will be rare from our LBs.

Merriman at OLB is good for one thing: making our starting lineup look better in madden.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

That's going to be SOME D line. I really can't wait to see them in action.

:thumbsup:

I will include rotational players only at the first level of subbing:

Morrison will start at LB, and Bradham will be his backup. Merriman will rotate with Kelsay and Anderson at the RDE spot; Besides that, you're probably right.

This

Don't think that Troup will be there. His injury situation doesn't seem promising to me. I suspect it will be Heard. Otherwise, this is probably right although it would be nice if Merriman looks good so that the Bills could move Kelsay back to LDE and Johnson back to DT with Merriman backing up Anderson.

It's amazing how people don't get the difference between all of the LB positions. Even more amazing is that people don't understand the difference in DE's. Merriman is not someone I would ever want to see as a 3-4 OLB. If I had to see him play anything LB it'd be ILB where he'd still get crushed but not exposed to the being left on his heels in pass defense. Merriman has to be a pass rusher.

I think if Merriman is healthy he will be our starting RDE. If and that's a big "if" he stays healthy I envision him being the NFL comeback player of the year and quite possibly leading our team in sacks. He could have a monster year. I am pulling for a full recovery and hoping to see him dominate.

I think he's straight subpackages. Which will be interesting with Anderson being... Bad... Against the run and Mario playing as much as possible and 2 good inside pass rushers.

I could see him realistically playing very few standard snaps, and being in on packages as a 3rd end/blitzing lb that moves around/key plays

Even an occasional 3-4 with he and Mario at "olb" roaming

He could still have a John Abraham type impact in that role

First of all, Merrison seems like a good OLB but I've never heard of him... :unsure:

Merriman, however, would be better as a DE because he wouldn't take that many snaps during a game. I can see him being a package OLB though but not very often. If I was the DC, I would try to put all of my playmakers on the field every once in a while.

I just tore my quad and wrote this while using prescribed morphine from my wonderfully inept chinese doctor in nanjing. please give me a little slack.