Chris Brown/s take on the D Line rotation

In a mailbag-type column, CB had this to say:

1 - Hey Chris,

I’m hoping you can give us some idea how our line plays out after Kyle, Mario, Anderson and Dareus. Do Kelsay and Merriman split time on the left end with Kelsay playing run downs and Merriman playing pass downs? I assume Dwan Edwards and Troup are tackles. Are Carrington and Spencer Johnson tackles or ends? Are Moats and Batten ends or linebackers? Do you think all of those players even make the team?

Thanks and Go Bills,

Brad

CB: From what I have heard Dwan Edwards is now a defensive tackle and to me that makes sense in a 4-3 scheme. Troup obviously is still a defensive tackle. Carrington and Spencer Johnson are both ends, with the ability to kick inside to defensive tackle on obvious passing downs should a rotation be needed. Moats and Batten are both outside linebackers. Kelsay would presumably be a run defending end with Merriman and Anderson pass rushing options on obvious passing downs.

Do all of them make the team? I’m not so sure they do.

Even with the switch to 4-3, I doubt we keep 9 DL. Out of Kelsay/Johnson/Troup/Carrington/Edwards, I'm betting Edwards would be the first to go in that case (depending on Troup's recovery).

Edwards and Troup would be the first ones to go in my opinion because they don't have the ability to swing inside or out. I always thought that it was a good strategy to keep 2nd/3rd string players that have versatility.

That was my thinking too, but keeping Troup due to his youth/upside as long as he's healthy. If he can't come back immediately I could see a visit to the PUP list for him to start the season.

In a mailbag-type column, CB had this to say:

Even with the switch to 4-3, I doubt we keep 9 DL. Out of Kelsay/Johnson/Troup/Carrington/Edwards, I'm betting Edwards would be the first to go in that case (depending on Troup's recovery).

I disagree... Edwards is an above average player on our team...

First you have to see how he transitions in the 4-3 then you decide...

I'm betting Edwards makes the team based solely on the fact that he's a true NFL player and from what I've seen, doesn't get injured...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Edwards and Troup would be the first ones to go in my opinion because they don't have the ability to swing inside or out. I always thought that it was a good strategy to keep 2nd/3rd string players that have versatility.

Keeping Troup over Edwards would be a mistake. He's a mistake that we should have never drafted and Edwards is a good lineman. Age over ability is overrated. Troup simply doesn't make plays and Edwards can. Hope the Bills don't look at birth certificates on this one. Troup needs to go..... yesterday.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

I think how many they keep depends on how they do in camp. If all of the guys look good, I think they could find space for them. If they are average...then someone will go. That's the goal...that average players walk due to competition.

Keeping Troup over Edwards would be a mistake. He's a mistake that we should have never drafted and Edwards is a good lineman. Age over ability is overrated. Troup simply doesn't make plays and Edwards can. Hope the Bills don't look at birth certificates on this one. Troup needs to go..... yesterday.

I was saying that both of them should go, not either or. I don't remember Edwards in the 4-3 before the switch but I'm just saying that him and Troup should go because they couldn't swing into a different position in a pinch.

I think how many they keep depends on how they do in camp. If all of the guys look good, I think they could find space for them. If they are average...then someone will go. That's the goal...that average players walk due to competition.

:thumbsup: This is finally a year when the underperforming slightly below average players will not have the opportunity to stick with the team. OTA's, ongoing personal work between the OTA's and training camp, and training camp will make decisions a lot easier than we think. Those young players who have managed to hang on better be showing their faces regularly at THE RALPH from now on even when the team isn't together.

As for Troup versus Edwards ... Edwards is a consumate pro who works hard. Troup based on his recent interview is a hurting player with potential. I liked the pick but since college he's been nothing but hurt. I'd say Troup needs to really show himself this summer or out of the two he is the first one to the door unless we get a trade opporutnity for Edwards.

I think some of these guys are gonna cut themselves......now that we have legit D Linemen anything less then that will stick out like a sore thumb......

Anybody who cant stay healthy.....like Troupe

Anybody who plays average but costs a lot.....like Edwards

And the end of the day Carrington MIGHT make it based on potential....Spencer will make it based on his actually numbers as he has played well....guys like Edwards and Troupe wont because one makes too much and the other cant show his ability to play.

JMO

I was saying that both of them should go, not either or. I don't remember Edwards in the 4-3 before the switch but I'm just saying that him and Troup should go because they couldn't swing into a different position in a pinch.

Edwards never played in a base 4-3.

Bills brought him in from the Ravens to help them transition to the 3-4, since Edwards was an established veteran 3-4 DE in the Ravens' successful 3-4 defense.

Johnson, on the other hand, was an established successful veteran backup 4-3 DT in Minnesota who was the first substitute behind a very good pair of Viking 4-3 DT's in Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. I have absolutely no idea what got the current coaching staff thinking of him as an outside guy, but they really did Johnson a disservice putting him out there at OLB.

Edited by BobChalmers

I have absolutely no idea what got the current coaching staff thinking of him as an outside guy, but they really did Johnson a disservice putting him out there at OLB.

They did EVERYBODY a disservice putting him at OLB.

I disagree... Edwards is an above average player on our team...

First you have to see how he transitions in the 4-3 then you decide...

I'm betting Edwards makes the team based solely on the fact that he's a true NFL player and from what I've seen, doesn't get injured...

You should watch a Bills game before making crazy statements. Edwards was the worst starting DE in the league last year.

And for anyone who thinks we will keep him as our 8th or 9th Dlineman....You dont keep people who make 4 milion a year as 3rd string....not sure what some people don't understand about this.

You should watch a Bills game before making crazy statements. Edwards was the worst starting DE in the league last year.

And for anyone who thinks we will keep him as our 8th or 9th Dlineman....You dont keep people who make 4 milion a year as 3rd string....not sure what some people don't understand about this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5576/dwan-edwards <==== Dwan's Stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13301/torell-troup <==== Torell's Stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/6132/spencer-johnson <==== Spencer's Stats

Check the stats man. He's played better in Buffalo than he has in Baltimore.

After you check his stats, compare his numbers to Spencer Johnson and Toreel Troups' and then tell me who you'd rather have on the field.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz