Ancient Aliens

/dev/null

So I'm sitting here watching some Ancient Aliens on History (or the channel that used to have historically based programming)

:blink:

Now anybody that's been here for awhile knows that I'm a sci-fi type geek. I post cool space pics of the day. I partake in Kirk vs Picard debates. I make references to Firefly and these aren't the droids you're looking for. For the crazy/stupid folks that venture to PPP they'll attest that I'm no Christian Evangelical type.

I don't know what's more disturbing. That there's a sizable community that believes in this crap or that somebody else will pay these 'tards to make a TV series.

I know that a quarter to a third of Republicans believe Obama was a Muslim born in Kenya

I know that a quarter to a third of Democrats believe Bush orchastrated 9/11 while he was choking on a pretzel

Granted I'm a pessimist that holds a very low opinion of my fellow man.

But seriously dude, are people really that f*cking stupid to believe this schit?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I not surprised that a male nurse likes James T Kirk?

I named my penis after him.

to boldly go where no man has been before? :ph34r::blink:

You got it, my friend...except I named him "The Admiral" in honor of Kirk's "short" stint.

Why do you think people are !@#$ing nuts to believe that Aliens have visited this planet? Do you not believe in life on other planets? If that's the case you have to be nuts not to think there is intelligent life out there. Now the chances they made their way here is a stretch but it is possible.

So I'm sitting here watching some Ancient Aliens on History (or the channel that used to have historically based programming)

:blink:

Now anybody that's been here for awhile knows that I'm a sci-fi type geek. I post cool space pics of the day. I partake in Kirk vs Picard debates. I make references to Firefly and these aren't the droids you're looking for. For the crazy/stupid folks that venture to PPP they'll attest that I'm no Christian Evangelical type.

I don't know what's more disturbing. That there's a sizable community that believes in this crap or that somebody else will pay these 'tards to make a TV series.

I know that a quarter to a third of Republicans believe Obama was a Muslim born in Kenya

I know that a quarter to a third of Democrats believe Bush orchastrated 9/11 while he was choking on a pretzel

Granted I'm a pessimist that holds a very low opinion of my fellow man.

But seriously dude, are people really that f*cking stupid to believe this schit?

It's actually a fantastic series for unintentional comedy. And, depending on the subject, it can be WAY out there or much more grounded in plausible reality. Not sure which ones you caught last night, but there are a few that I would actually recommend checking out on Netflix for free.

Why do you think people are !@#$ing nuts to believe that Aliens have visited this planet? Do you not believe in life on other planets? If that's the case you have to be nuts not to think there is intelligent life out there. Now the chances they made their way here is a stretch but it is possible.

Very few of the comments here are about the show...but...watch the show and then come back and tell us if you think it's credible. From the little I've seen they interview 'experts' who have lots of 'facts' to support their claims.

The question isn't whether there is 'intelligent' life out there, the question is whether that specific series is a piecs of bullstojan.

I don't think all people who believe that aliens visited earth are nuts. But this show is pretty far out there

I do believe there is life on other planets. There are billions of stars in this galaxy and there are billions of galaxies in the universe. The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of it.

Even if there is sentient life on another planet does not guarantee that they have mastered space travel or have the time, resources, or interest necessary to travel to Earth

The question I always ask - If the Earth has indeed been visited by aliens and there have been eye-witnesses of these events, why is there never EVER enough corroboration to even vaguely consider the event a historical fact?

And on a more theoretical level, consider this; A race that has developed the intelligence, technology and longevity to master interstellar travel could only be interested in pathetic Earth for its resources. As far as we know, the planet hasn't been milked of anything.

The question I always ask - If the Earth has indeed been visited by aliens and there have been eye-witnesses of these events, why is there never EVER enough corroboration to even vaguely consider the event a historical fact?

And on a more theoretical level, consider this; A race that has developed the intelligence, technology and longevity to master interstellar travel could only be interested in pathetic Earth for its resources. As far as we know, the planet hasn't been milked of anything.

Good questions. And I'm nerdy enough to respond ...

As for your first point: I would argue that there are actually plenty of evidence out there of unexplained sightings that have been corroborated by credible, trained professionals (pilots, military, police, etc etc). Not to mention there are several cultures in South America that celebrate what they believe to be "star brother" landings throughout their early history.

Whether or not these sightings and events were really extraterrestrial in origin or not who knows. But there are plenty of plausible reasons why, if they were, those facts would be kept from the public throughout history. Fear of inciting panic being the primary followed closely by a fear of losing power (mainly religious institutions like the Vatican etc). And today, with easy access to sophisticated CGI programs, it's easier than ever to dismiss sightings, even video, as being fake or hoaxes.

As for your second point: There are PLENTY of other reasons, other than resources, why an interstellar species would visit Earth. Ask yourself what we would do if we were to suddenly discover primitive life on a planet we could reach ... we'd study the life, we'd keep going back and observe from a distance. Plus, if a civilization were truly advanced enough to master interstellar travel, they'd most likely would have had to survive their own self-destructive nature as a species and evolve to a more peaceful or altruistic race.

Of course that's just conjecture but there are plenty of possibilities.

Not that I believe in any of that ... but the truth is out there. :ph34r:

Good questions. And I'm nerdy enough to respond ...

As for your first point: I would argue that there are actually plenty of evidence out there of unexplained sightings that have been corroborated by credible, trained professionals (pilots, military, police, etc etc). Not to mention there are several cultures in South America that celebrate what they believe to be "star brother" landings throughout their early history.

Whether or not these sightings and events were really extraterrestrial in origin or not who knows. But there are plenty of plausible reasons why, if they were, those facts would be kept from the public throughout history. Fear of inciting panic being the primary followed closely by a fear of losing power (mainly religious institutions like the Vatican etc). And today, with easy access to sophisticated CGI programs, it's easier than ever to dismiss sightings, even video, as being fake or hoaxes.

As for your second point: There are PLENTY of other reasons, other than resources, why an interstellar species would visit Earth. Ask yourself what we would do if we were to suddenly discover primitive life on a planet we could reach ... we'd study the life, we'd keep going back and observe from a distance. Plus, if a civilization were truly advanced enough to master interstellar travel, they'd most likely would have had to survive their own self-destructive nature as a species and evolve to a more peaceful or altruistic race.

Of course that's just conjecture but there are plenty of possibilities.

Not that I believe in any of that ... but the truth is out there. :ph34r:

Hmmm. Well countered, but allow me to rebutt.

So let's say there are aliens who like to occasionally swoop by and observe us from a distance. For research purposes. Why is it that these aliens are perpetually careless enough to be spotted by a couple Bubbas in the sticks, but never 100 people in the suburbs? Or thousands in a city? (You'd have to assume they'd be more intrigued by our metropolises)

If 100 people witness something simultaneously and have similar stories about what happened, it would give serious pause to my skepticism. It's sorta like Bigfoot...EVERYBODY'S picture is blurry?

As for the second point, I agree on the altruism thing.

Hmmm. Well countered, but allow me to rebutt.

So let's say there are aliens who like to occasionally swoop by and observe us from a distance. For research purposes. Why is it that these aliens are perpetually careless enough to be spotted by a couple Bubbas in the sticks, but never 100 people in the suburbs? Or thousands in a city? (You'd have to assume they'd be more intrigued by our metropolises)

If 100 people witness something simultaneously and have similar stories about what happened, it would give serious pause to my skepticism. It's sorta like Bigfoot...EVERYBODY'S picture is blurry?

As for the second point, I agree on the altruism thing.

There have been countless mass sightings. Some very recently, witnessed by 1,000s of people in populated city centers. For point of reference, check out:

Mexico City. 200?

Again just one video of many you can find. This was an event over one of the world's largest population centers and was covered in the news around the world. Forget the exact date but it was like 2009ish?

St. Petersburg, Russia. April 2012.

This is just one video, but there are literally dozens out there, from different sources all showing the same event. And this was last month.

China, 2010

This was also international news as the UFO came back two additional times. No explanation has ever been given but it shut down the same airport twice.

Another event witnessed by hundreds of people (if not more) over NYC. Better videos can be found I'm just doing this rapid fire.

Phoenix, 1997

A very famous UFO case called the Phoenix lights. Witnessed by 10,000 Phoenix residents. Skeptics claim these are just flairs being dropped by military craft (there is a base nearby and flairs are often dropped here). Believers claim that video examination of the footage shows the lights aren't flairs. Still debated.