Chris Kelsay Article

It's not available online. Enjoy!

Buffalo's Kelsay speaks at Salvation Army event in Olean

By Kate Day Sager

Olean Times Herald

OLEAN — When Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered a career-ending, life-threatening cervical spine injury in a 2007 game, defensive end Chris Kelsay lead the team in prayer on the field.

Mr. Kelsay’s faith both on and off the field were discussed during his presentation to those gathered for the Salvation Army’s 2011 Annual Awards Dinner Wednesday at the Premier Banquet Center. The event was attended by Salvation Army Majors William and Cecelia Lynch, as well as advisory board members, volunteers and residents of the community. Musical entertainment was provided by Christina Lynch DeLorenzo, daughter of the Lynches.

Mr. Kelsay, who has played for the Bills since 2003, said he found his way to God while at the University of Nebraska from 1998 to 2002. While he excelled in the classroom and on the field, he admitted that he wasn’t living his life the right way.

“I was going out partying too much and chasing girls, the typical thing that college kids do,” Mr. Kelsay said.

When he moved out of the dorms after his freshman year, a roommate led him in a different direction — toward God. Mr. Kelsay said while he wanted a life in Christ, he wasn’t certain he could measure up. He soon learned, however, that he could play on God’s terms. He said he later met a college girl named

Natalie who would also share his faith and become his wife.

After college, he was drafted by the Bills, the only pro team he has ever played for. He said met the team’s chaplain, Fred Raines, at the beginning of his career.

“In the locker room, he doesn’t force anything upon you,” Mr. Kelsay said of Chaplain Raines. “He came up to me and invited me to Bible study 10 years ago, and we’ve been involved ever since.”

Mr. Kelsay told the group that first and foremost he is a follower of Jesus Christ, and secondly he is a family man.

“Football is down here,” he said while drawing a laugh from the audience by gesturing with his hands at his waist.

“I wish we’d won a little bit more, but I think we’re on the right track,” he said of the Bills.

During a question-and-answer session, Mr. Kelsay was asked if he found conflicts with his Christian faith and the violence sometimes experienced on the field. Mr. Kelsay stated that he plays the game with as much integrity as possible.

“I think if you take the approach that you’re not out there to intentionally hurt somebody, you should have a fair conscience,” he remarked.

Olean Mayor Linda Witte, an advisory board member, asked Mr. Kelsay what he would have done for his livelihood if he hadn’t played football. He replied that his degree is in finance.

“I hope I never have to use that,” he added.

Mr. Kelsay said he does entertain thoughts of entering the ministry or coaching kids someday after his football career is over.

When asked how it was arranged for him to speak for the Salvation Army event, he said Chaplain Raines had set up the engagement. He noted he and some of the other Bills players also speak to youngsters during programs conducted at the Buffalo Christian Center.

Chaplain Raines also addressed the group and said he has been with the Bills for the past 29 years and has seen nine coaching changes during that period. He noted that of a roster of approximately 53 players, 15 to 20 men have a “solid faith” in God.

He said Mr. Kelsay has been a strong Christian leader among the other players. This was demonstrated when Mr. Everett was severely injured on the field during the Sept. 9, 2007, season-opening game.

“Chris actually was the one who prayed with the whole team during the time” on the field, Chaplain Raines said.

lmao

of course he makes the team. hes their best all around de not named mario. he starts early downs and has his biggest season ever. and at four mil he certainly isnt getting paid too much to be a key part of the platoon opposite the hundred million dollar man

lmao

of course he makes the team. hes their best all around de not named mario. he starts early downs and has his biggest season ever. and at four mil he certainly isnt getting paid too much to be a key part of the platoon opposite the hundred million dollar man

What happened to your avatar?

It was one of the best ever!

What happened to your avatar?

It was one of the best ever!

idk. i cant see about half the avatars and dont see any sigs for some reason ive never figured out. if my avatar has disappeared then thats news to me. thanks btw

ok there we go

Clearly he is one of the fortunate ones who discovered in college that there is something that matters more than money, fame or success on the football field. It was great to read his testimony of faith.

I keep a photo of that circle of prayer for Kevin Everett on my bookcase at work but never knew who led the prayer. At a very frightening moment in time the rush to prayer with the subsequent 'miracles' that were in place for Everett has always been one of the 'champuonship' moments of the Bills!

Frankly I have never understood the vehement hatred some on this board have for Kelsay other than a jealousy of his salary as if the monies came out of their wallets. Year after year his play is above average and with his return to DE I expect another good year. I cannot see him being cut - he is a leader who is respected by his peers and coaches plus his contributions on the field are evident.

Clearly he is one of the fortunate ones who discovered in college that there is something that matters more than money, fame or success on the football field. It was great to read his testimony of faith.

I keep a photo of that circle of prayer for Kevin Everett on my bookcase at work but never knew who led the prayer. At a very frightening moment in time the rush to prayer with the subsequent 'miracles' that were in place for Everett has always been one of the 'champuonship' moments of the Bills!

Frankly I have never understood the vehement hatred some on this board have for Kelsay other than a jealousy of his salary as if the monies came out of their wallets. Year after year his play is above average and with his return to DE I expect another good year. I cannot see him being cut - he is a leader who is respected by his peers and coaches plus his contributions on the field are evident.

It's simple. If Kelsay was the EXACT same player, playing the role of a hard-working depth DE who came in and contributed a small handful of sacks on a winning team, he'd be downright beloved.

As a below average starting DE who contributes a small handful of sacks on a losing team, he's reviled. People need to ask themselves, "Is it Chris Kelsay's fault that the Bills took 9 years to find a pair of better pass-rushers?"

And really, only time will tell if Anderson is better.

What's wrong with chasing girls, exactly? As far as I know it is not illegal and as long as it is done with mutual consent I see no arm and nothing immoral.

As far as bible studies goes, well, if he can put up with the mysogonist views it conveys (Saint Paul) without throwing up, well, good for him.

As far as the football player is concerned, I think he's decent, albeit a little overpaid. The move to the 4-3 means we will get more out of him (he just isnt a LB). He would fit well in a DE rotation.

I say he makes the team (unless they want to save $$$ and resigned more important players)

Marc in Montréal

Edited by Marc in MontrÈal

lmao

Though I do think that he is way overpaid based upon his performance on the field and should be due to renegotiate to remain on the team, I would have to agree that he is a sturdy plugger- kind of like a poor man's Phil Hansen- who was out of place last season by the ridiculous move to OLB, and should benefit tremendously from the arrival of Super Mario, Mark Anderson, and a revived Kyle Williams and 1st round gem Dareus.

I think Kelsay is more valuable than either Dwan Edwards or Spencer Johnson, and both of those guys should be gone, as their production is nil and they are being paid too much for producing nothing.

I'm seeing a big year for Kelsay. 8 sacks....

There's actually something more to life than that as well, for those of us who, umm, aren't as "fortunate"???

Edited by eball