Is this a right-wing board?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what say you all? Is this a right-wing board, or is it just a matter of there being more right wingers with a better command of the art of argument and debate?

A "right wing" board? I wouldn't say that, considering on social issues, there is hardly any 'right wing' prescence at all here.

But you do see a stark difference when it comes to fiscal and to a lesser extent cultural (Zimmerman) issues. Most of the vocal conservatives are reasoned and logical while several (not all) of the most vocal liberals are stupid and reactionary.

Sadly, that's a reflection of our world. People are not educated in even the most basic understanding of fiscal issues so that results in one of two things happening; 1) those people latch on to ignorant propaganda like the "Buffett rule", the "99%", and "the rich don't pay their 'fair share'", or 2) they just ignore the fiscal world and vote based on the things they do understand -- namely the social issues.

DC Tom is by far the most intellectual "reich" winger on this board. While his prose is excellent he lacks the statistics to back his argument. In other words he's a lot like Newt Gingrich, a professorial "douche" who uses his expanse vocabulary to ridicule those who challenge him.

His trademark "you're an idiot", post vocabulary lesson is quite hilarious.

Right. Keep telling yourself that :lol:

Oh:

Exhibit B

I'd say that there are a greater number of conservatives on PPP and that the conservatives here post with greater regularity but it is now a bit more balanced than 6 months to a year ago- it's not surprisingly it's a mostly male bastion but also an older crowd (when I was in my twenties I'd say about 80% of my peers followed the NFL pretty closely now I'd say of my nephews generation less than half care very much). As for the rest, this is not a place where you are going to get much traction with a nuanced argument, better to pick a side and blast away- fence straddlers (Adam) are more likely to take fire from both sides rather than be lauded as the voice of reason. Lastly it's amusing how your relative place in a group colors how you label yourself before I stumbled onto PPP I'd have said I'm a centrist maybe slightly right of center because in my work (Education/Human Services) that where I fell, but after PPP I know I'm a true far left Marxist Maoist commie pinko lib.
Edited by meazza

I guess that would put you in the remaining 20%.

Just makes you wonder how they've won 5 out of the last 8 presidential elections and won one of the largest historice "thumpings" in the 2010 midterms with this observation of yours? I suppose they are a monolithic bunch.

Edited by Magox

Sure it's self explanatory, now that you've edited your original post, which didn't explain a thing.

Lets see here,

my edit was at 5:01 and your post was at 5:05

are you sure you wanna go with that?

Where did your post go? :lol:

Edited by Magox

It was suggested by one poster last week that the PPP board is heavily slanted toward the right. That once the right wingers get going, the threads turn into a self congratulatory love fest of conservatism.

However, I do not think this is the case, rather, it might appear that way because most of the drive by and troll posters (DiN, Conner) are not the most eliquent in terms of thier arguments. I am speaking in a general sense, because there are many posters who while are more left of center, can and do phrase thier arguments in a concise and intellegent manner.

So what say you all? Is this a right-wing board, or is it just a matter of there being more right wingers with a better command of the art of argument and debate?

I'd say that there are a greater number of conservatives on PPP and that the conservatives here post with greater regularity but it is now a bit more balanced than 6 months to a year ago- it's not surprisingly it's a mostly male bastion but also an older crowd (when I was in my twenties I'd say about 80% of my peers followed the NFL pretty closely now I'd say of my nephews generation less than half care very much). As for the rest, this is not a place where you are going to get much traction with a nuanced argument, better to pick a side and blast away- fence straddlers (Adam) are more likely to take fire from both sides rather than be lauded as the voice of reason. Lastly it's amusing how your relative place in a group colors how you label yourself before I stumbled onto PPP I'd have said I'm a centrist maybe slightly right of center because in my work (Education/Human Services) that where I fell, but after PPP I know I'm a true far left Marxist Maoist commie pinko lib.

DC Tom is by far the most intellectual "reich" winger on this board. While his prose is excellent he lacks the statistics to back his argument. In other words he's a lot like Newt Gingrich, a professorial "douche" who uses his expanse vocabulary to ridicule those who challenge him.

Your an idiot.

I think, numerically, the board's about evenly balanced. The tilt comes from the fact that, whereas we've driven most of the right-wing window-licking drones away, we haven't had the same success with the left-wing window-lickers.

Plus...we get liberals like DiN who make claims to intellectualism, then post mind-numbingly stupid ****. DIE, though...he posts just as much mind-numbingly stupid ****, but doesn't come close to a pretension of intelligence. So who do you think gets jumped on harder? Liberal idiots just tend to be bigger idiots than conservative idiots...simply because they claim to be smarter.

A "right wing" board? I wouldn't say that, considering on social issues, there is hardly any 'right wing' prescence at all here.

But you do see a stark difference when it comes to fiscal and to a lesser extent cultural (Zimmerman) issues. Most of the vocal conservatives are reasoned and logical while several (not all) of the most vocal liberals are stupid and reactionary.

Sadly, that's a reflection of our world. People are not educated in even the most basic understanding of fiscal issues so that results in one of two things happening; 1) those people latch on to ignorant propaganda like the "Buffett rule", the "99%", and "the rich don't pay their 'fair share'", or 2) they just ignore the fiscal world and vote based on the things they do understand -- namely the social issues.

This is a good post to sum up the attitude of most conservative here and what they think about most liberals. More than anything else I see the conservatives on this board adhering to a staunch philosophy as if we live in a static world, where as many of the liberals are more dynamic in their economic view and see the budget issues as a question of timing. From one stand point the conservatives seem like idiots parroting talking points and talking about the 80s and general philosophy (as if it's all been figured out for all time) and hating government and preaching fiscal conservatism (except military and SS). From another the liberals have no responsibility, can't be trusted w/ a $20, don't understand the economy, hate capitalism, and will ruin this country with never-ending entitlement spending.

As for things like the ACA a few of the more vocal conservatives (not all) are TOTALLY ignorant about what the Bill that they hate actually is, and that's just the bottom line with them.

As for the social issues...honestly who cares about the Treyvon Martin case...then again I don't go in that thread so who knows what is actually being said whatever it is it's probably pretty boring...as for gay marriage it's just a matter of time and I think it's probably that same way w/ drugs too but just a lot more time. So it's all moot to me.

Anyway the biggest divide in this country is age. And I think if we could see each other...it would be a little more obvious.

Lastly it's amusing how your relative place in a group colors how you label yourself before I stumbled onto PPP I'd have said I'm a centrist maybe slightly right of center because in my work (Education/Human Services) that where I fell, but after PPP I know I'm a true far left Marxist Maoist commie pinko lib.

LOl. That's the damn truth. But it reflects modern America IMO.

Lets see here,

my edit was at 5:01 and your post was at 5:05

are you sure you wanna go with that?

Where did your post go? :lol:

Deleted because it responded to your unedited post. English. Language.

Marauder24, on 17 May 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Meaning?

Looks like the same time to me so I am pretty sure I "wanna go with that".

Edited by Marauder24

This is a good post to sum up the attitude of most conservative here and what they think about most liberals. More than anything else I see the conservatives on this board adhering to a staunch philosophy as if we live in a static world, where as many of the liberals are more dynamic in their economic view and see the budget issues as a question of timing. From one stand point the conservatives seem like idiots parroting talking points and talking about the 80s and general philosophy (as if it's all been figured out for all time) and hating government and preaching fiscal conservatism (except military and SS). From another the liberals have no responsibility, can't be trusted w/ a $20, don't understand the economy, hate capitalism, and will ruin this country with never-ending entitlement spending.

As for things like the ACA a few of the more vocal conservatives (not all) are TOTALLY ignorant about what the Bill that they hate actually is, and that's just the bottom line with them.

:lol:

Deleted because it responded to your unedited post. English. Language.

Marauder24, on 17 May 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Meaning?

Looks like the same time to me so I am pretty sure I "wanna go with that".

Dude, you've lost me.

I do love you though Magox. Go Bills!

Love is good.

So $5T of additional budget deficit is a "timing issue"? Gee, that's a "dynamic economic view".

Nice strawman though; not sure which talking points from the 80s you are hearing so frequently here but I guess they must overshadow the ongoing blanket approval from the liberals on the current deficit spending and continued assault on businesses at federal, state and local levels.

Anyway the biggest divide in this country is age.

Nonsense. The young are more fickle than anyone. The only group they want to be divided from is their parents.

Edited by KD in CT

yup. as we continually remind our debate opponents, everything is relative. when i lived in ann arbor, i was decidedly centrist compared to my peers. not here.

and regarding the age issue. i'm a 50 something white guy with quite traditional social values, lifestyle and upbringing. but being politically liberal, i'm labelled an "aging hippy" based solely on my age while most that know me in person, if forced for a social label, would likely never describe me that way. ..just way too much stereotyping going on. it's preconceptions and misconceptions like this that lessen the debate.

and then there's the personal insults and ad hominem attacks: the tactic of choice for many here on the right. much less frequently used by the left. adds nothing to the discussion and is often done in desperation. i propose we start keeping score since i play this as a game. -1 for every personal insult since it reveals weakness.

so why keep engaging? cuz my real life doesn't allow for this type of spirited, sometimes brutal discourse (one closely guards the designation of "gentleman" in the south) and i enjoy it. the forum provides my outlet for it. nice to see some like minded folks joining the battle but we"re still greatly outnumbered...underdogs, but that's the way we like it, right? we're Bills fans.

This board tilts to however well or poorly the current president is performing. Period. And that takes into consideration the handful of people who think they're fooling the board by calling themselves "moderate independents."

When Bush was in office and his approval was the in the crapper, this place was one step right of the Huffington Post because a lot of us righties didn't enjoy the beatdown. With Obama screwing up the economy with his anti-business spread-the-wealth Buffett Rule Rainbow Coalition for Woman, Gays, Latinos, Blacks while Fast and Furiously burning through Solyndrabucks, it's only natural the typical lefties you see on this board (pBills, Exiled, etc) are avoiding a similar beatdown.

The moment Romney is elected president, they'll be back, yelling after his third day "Where are the jobs! Where are the jobs!" like they did when the left got its ass handed to it in 2010.

So $5T of additional budget deficit is a "timing issue"? Gee, that's a "dynamic economic view".

You sound like a man in need of some evolving.

Nonsense. The young are more fickle than anyone. The only group they want to be divided from is their parents.

And by divided, you mean getting a better internet speed in the basement where they can play video games while surrounded by shelves filled with participation trophies.

Edited by LABillzFan

This board tilts to however well or poorly the current president is performing. Period. And that takes into consideration the handful of people who think they're fooling the board by calling themselves "moderate independents."

And by divided, you mean getting a better internet speed in the basement where they can play video games while surrounded by shelves filled with participation trophies.

Well personally I really didn't bash President Bush when he was in office and for the most part I don't now. As for the last little bit you sound like an Adam Carolla podcast listener. :thumbsup:

EDIT: And I don't plan on bashing Romney if wins.

Edited by TheNewBills