The PC movement has officially come off the rails...

Bullpen

What an interesting topic and discussion. As I go through all the feedback and input, I can't help but think of my own child, who will go into second grade next year, and think of the two words that comfort me in times like these.

Private school.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an interesting topic and discussion. As I go through all the feedback and input, I can't help but think of my own child, who will go into second grade next year, and think of the two words that comfort me in times like these.

Private school.

Yes, lots of hypocrisy in this thread and our society, generally. But that is where smart and intentioned parenting comes in, to help your child seperate the wheat from the chaff....not easy but the joy is in the journey.

It's not the same thing. Not even the same sport.

:wallbash:

Respectfully disagree. Definitely the same sport. Maybe a different ball park in this case. But definitely the same sport.

Respectfully disagree. Definitely the same sport. Maybe a different ball park in this case. But definitely the same sport.

I'll give you a different ballpark.

My belief is that whitewashing of history, in any form, is dangerous. Which is what banning books such as Huck Finn for the language used is to me. The language used in literature is a reflection of the time in which it was produced and should be used as a learning tool. Not erased.

My belief is that whitewashing of history, in any form, is dangerous. Which is what banning books such as Huck Finn for the language used is to me. The language used in literature is a reflection of the time in which it was produced and should be used as a learning tool. Not erased.

Whitewashing history IS dangerous. Just as much as judging history through the prism of modern societal values can be.

But that's just part of my problem with the issue.

The larger one you already mentioned. Kids are deprived of a unique learning tool. Not just in terms of language and insight into literary tools and styles. But in the very real and important moral lessons Mark Twain was trying to convey through his work. I find that highly ironic.

I once heard it suggested that Alex Haley's Roots shouldn't be taught on the same basis. I thought that was just as absurd. Until I heard a defense of why it should be taught: because Alex Haley was African-American.

Can you believe that?

Yeah, but the REAL whitewashing was in Tom Sawyer. :D

"Oh come, now, you don’t mean to let on that you like it?”

The brush continued to move.

“Like it? Well I don’t see why I oughtn’t to like it. Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?”

That put the thing in a new light. Ben stopped nibbling his apple. Tom swept his brush daintily back and forth—stepped back to note the effect—added a touch here and there—criticized the effect again—Ben watching every move and getting more and more interested, more and more absorbed. Presently he said:

“Say, Tom, let me whitewash a little.”"

"Oh come, now, you don’t mean to let on that you like it?”

The brush continued to move.

“Like it? Well I don’t see why I oughtn’t to like it. Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?”

That put the thing in a new light. Ben stopped nibbling his apple. Tom swept his brush daintily back and forth—stepped back to note the effect—added a touch here and there—criticized the effect again—Ben watching every move and getting more and more interested, more and more absorbed. Presently he said:

“Say, Tom, let me whitewash a little.”"

:lol:

slavery is from the 1800's as well, why can't we get over that already...my guess as i stated above is that black face is a result of theatrical productions that had 'black characters' but blacks were not welcome to be a part of the production, nor the audience...i guess a bit of a stretch is telling jewish people to get over the swastika already....just my 2 cents...either way, because its offensive to someone, i won't partake in the activity...

You'd think that, but from the few sites I read, it's more about the fact that blacks were portrayed as buffoons, not that they couldn't be in the show/audience.

But that brings up a good point -- ask someone WHY it's offensive and see what the answer is. "Because it always has been that way," is probably the answer.

This thread reminds me of the brief furor over "master/slave" (as it relates to hard drives) in California many years ago:

http://slashdot.org/story/03/11/25/0014257/la-county-bans-use-of-masterslave-term

You'd think that, but from the few sites I read, it's more about the fact that blacks were portrayed as buffoons, not that they couldn't be in the show/audience.

But that brings up a good point -- ask someone WHY it's offensive and see what the answer is. "Because it always has been that way," is probably the answer.

This thread reminds me of the brief furor over "master/slave" (as it relates to hard drives) in California many years ago:

http://slashdot.org/story/03/11/25/0014257/la-county-bans-use-of-masterslave-term

Not sure what 'sites' you visited (let me applaud you for doing that) but a more peer-reviewed, historical, and research-based line of research would have been helpful to you. As clearly, blackface had at it's core the parody, mocking, and stereoptyping of blacks.....by whites....certainly, some could argue there eventually came a time it was not that, but sadly that is the genesis. Hence the reason....like another poster said, while time can heal wounds, not sure the swastika will be fully embraced by those of Jewish decent any time soon. So your wish to have us get over stuff is a bit under thought.

Also, you actually do not bring up a good point....your intuition tells you WHY blackface is offensive and you speculate an answer......suffice it to say just because you believe it, does not mean it is true. Yes, even if you asked 5 of your co-workers / family / friends. There is a key axiom that says the plural of anecdote does not equal data.

PS - I get that for some people facts and data are 'mumbo jumbo' but really nothing is more harmful than believing intuition is good enough.....only in emergency situations. Beyond that, intuition is a horrible navigator of fiscal, social, or legislative thought.

Found a term for it, Helicopter Parent

Im trying to search reddit for a number of stories posted recently that detail accounts of parents calling college professors to yell at them for their kid's failing grades, and even stories about parents calling the Human Resources department at their "child"'s new job to complain about the workload given to their "child". It's a mess. A big, spoiled mess.

You act like this is a new thing - it's not. This type of parent has been around for a long time, it just gets reported as "news" on the internet these days. The good ol' days weren't better, they just weren't under the microscope.