America's Got Howard!

boyst

I have not listened to Howard in years but recently bought a car with Sirius and started listening again in the morning. I have to say, Howard is one of the best interviewers out there. I'd put him up there with Charlie Rose, Terry Gross and Bob Edwards. Completely natural and gets people to talk about things I think they had no intention of putting out there. In the past 2 weeks I have heard him interview Sasha Baron Cohen (not in character), Macy Gray, and this morning, Jack Black. All three interviews were insiteful and entertaining and came across like a conversation between two friends. I was bummed to get out of the car when I got to work.

I could do without the locker room act most of the time, but the interviews are worth listening too.

Oh, and by the way I enjoyed AGT last night.

Edited by theesir

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ALL you know? You don't know he's had a very successful radio show for 35 years? Had a best selling book? Box office hit movie?

Give him a break, he's letting us know how out of touch with popular culture he is and how cool that makes him. Notice how he even misspells the name. That's letting us know just how unfamiliar he is with the subject.

I don't want to pick on him, and I am certainly not saying how I do things is how its supposed to be done. That said, there is a ton of stuff that goes on that I am very indifferent to, but I can probably name and recognize a justin beiber song(for example), simply because if it's not on tv, the radio, twitter, facebook etc...its someone talking about him, and if there are subjects i truly know nothing about, i immediately google or wikipedia it. I simply don't want to be left out of a conversation I guess. I need that social interaction. I understand people are quite happy without having to know something about everything...me, i need to have all that useless knowledge...and i also feel its nearly impossible to hide from the constant information being thrown at us, either willingly or unwillingly.

again, that's just how I operate. it may not be for everyone....

Give him a break, he's letting us know how out of touch with popular culture he is and how cool that makes him. Notice how he even misspells the name. That's letting us know just how unfamiliar he is with the subject.

I have not listened to Howard in years but recently bought a car with Sirius and started listening again in the morning. I have to say, Howard is one of the best interviewers out there. I'd put him up there with Charlie Rose, Terry Gross and Bob Edwards. Completely natural and gets people to talk about things I think they had no intention of putting out there. In the past 2 weeks I have heard him interview Sasha Baron Cohen (not in character), Macy Gray, and this morning, Jack Black. All three interviews were insiteful and entertaining and came across like a conversation between two friends. I was bummed to get out of the car when I got to work.

I could do without the locker room act most of the time, but the interviews are worth listening too.

Oh, and by the way I enjoyed AGT last night.

Exactly this, Howard is a master interviewer who will not toss out boring softball questions. He is actually going to get some fresh and interesting information out of his guests. Sure there is some of the sexual and gross stuff, but that is way toned down from his earlier days even with him being on SiriusXM. The musical guests and interviews are just great, Billy Joel with a piano telling great stories and playing songs, Chris Cornell performing "Imagine" and "Thank You", Jewel performing Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done", heck even Lady Gaga amd the dude from Coldplay had me fully absorbed. The list goes on and on.

Or maybe I REALLY don't know anything about Howard what's his name? Can that be even remotely possible?

that's a great 'go to' line...i wish i remember who said it first, but it's certainly taken on a life of its own for several years....and i wouldn't be too sure about the brain cell thing there...

I'm pretty sure I coined that line. I was sick of seeing the same people on these Stern threads complain about how irrelevant Stern had become. The line I think I used was:

"Howard Stern hasn't been funny in 15 years. I would never listen to his show but I love to bash him on internet message boards."

BTW, I watched AGT and don't like the show, even with Howard on it.

Then there is no conceivable way you've not heard ofHoward. Kasem is as pop culture as Howard. Howard is th anti-Limbaugh and to know he'll you must know heaven. Imus talks about stern more then stern talks about stern. And Brucie is an old old radio personality from the 60's.

I'm pretty sure I coined that line. I was sick of seeing the same people on these Stern threads complain about how irrelevant Stern had become. The line I think I used was:

"Howard Stern hasn't been funny in 15 years. I would never listen to his show but I love to bash him on internet message boards."

BTW, I watched AGT and don't like the show, even with Howard on it.

Good thing you didn't that line. I'd be broke by now.

Then there is no conceivable way you've not heard ofHoward. Kasem is as pop culture as Howard. Howard is th anti-Limbaugh and to know he'll you must know heaven. Imus talks about stern more then stern talks about stern. And Brucie is an old old radio personality from the 60's.

I was vaguely aware that Stern was some guy that got banned from the radio for a gutter mouth. Honest to God if not for all your posts about him I would have thought he was long gone. I saw Imus on TV once, and he had a goofy oversize cowboy hat on. That's all I know about him.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

If you think Howard ever "self destructs" then you really don't follow him at all. He's a solid human being.

That would be why I said I haven't followed him in forever ;)

The "solid human being" thing is debatable, cause it was because of some of his comments many years ago that I stopped listening. I have no problem with all the sex and language, but when you intentionally mock someone's pain (e.g. the Selena thing), then I sign off.

But anyway, so far I'm really enjoying Howard on the show and I'm looking forward to tonight.

That would be why I said I haven't followed him in forever ;)

The "solid human being" thing is debatable, cause it was because of some of his comments many years ago that I stopped listening. I have no problem with all the sex and language, but when you intentionally mock someone's pain (e.g. the Selena thing), then I sign off.

But anyway, so far I'm really enjoying Howard on the show and I'm looking forward to tonight.

I think Howard has acknowledged that he was in the wrong with a lot of the stuff he did earlier in his career as far as picking fights with other celebrities and some inappropriate comments, but I don't recall the circumstances around Selena specifically. He has apologized and made up with Rosie O'Donnell in recent years and even Kathy Lee Gifford just last week. If you had asked me 10 or 15 years ago about the likelihood of Howard burying the hatchet with either one of them, I'd say it would be a quite frigid day in hell before that ever happened.

I think Howard has acknowledged that he was in the wrong with a lot of the stuff he did earlier in his career as far as picking fights with other celebrities and some inappropriate comments, but I don't recall the circumstances around Selena specifically. He has apologized and made up with Rosie O'Donnell in recent years and even Kathy Lee Gifford just last week. If you had asked me 10 or 15 years ago about the likelihood of Howard burying the hatchet with either one of them, I'd say it would be a quite frigid day in hell before that ever happened.

I'm glad to hear that...I've always enjoyed his show except for when he just took it too far. I know sometimes people do that in order to be controversial and get more attention to their show, but there were at least one or two times when I turned him off because it just was the sort of humor I couldn't get on board with. But hot girls, fart gags, pranks, etc, I'm good to go. I love that stuff and I always will, so if he's just cooled off with the hateful stuff then I'm back on board for sure.

I'm glad to hear that...I've always enjoyed his show except for when he just took it too far. I know sometimes people do that in order to be controversial and get more attention to their show, but there were at least one or two times when I turned him off because it just was the sort of humor I couldn't get on board with. But hot girls, fart gags, pranks, etc, I'm good to go. I love that stuff and I always will, so if he's just cooled off with the hateful stuff then I'm back on board for sure.

Well he still has a deep, seething hatred of Jay Leno, but I kind of agree with him there. :thumbsup:

Well if he made up with Rosie O'Donnell [and Kathy Lee!] I need to rethink this. Looks like I am missing a lot life has to offer.