Kiper had Cordy Glenn as his #14 overall player

dogma+

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a very good point to make, that Buffalo has a track record, perhaps BETTER THAN any other NFL club, of taking virtually undrafted talents, or, at least, players not projected to be great LT's in the NFL, and turning them into good to excellent LT's. That tells me Buffalo KNOWS what they need to have, talent wise, in a player, and they know they can teach that talent to play.

Now, you add a guy who is physically supposed to be very capable of playing LT - and you let Buffalo work with him... we're going to have a good LT in Glenn. I like Hairston, too, so I think we're now, for the first time in a good number of years, FINALLY SET on the Offensive line! I really like the players and the depth we now have (I just hope Buffalo gets the middle of the line re-signed so we can count on them all playing together for a long time).

At the very least, I expect Buffalo now has it's Defensive and Offensive lines set for the next 4 to 5 years. They've got most of their secondary and WR corps set, too. They've got depth at the linebacker spot, and they have at least one RB for the next 4 years. If things don't pan out this year due to QB play, or lack of overall talent and readiness, I think they'll be able to go into next year's offseason and finish this roster, get the final pieces, and be ready to be a contender for the next half decade. It was a good draft. I can't wait to see these guys play together.

Finally set? Well, lets see, Wood , Urbek and reinhart (I know, not a starter, except he started 12 games last year) all have their contracts up in 2013, Need to resign all three to be all set.....

I would have been fine with the Bills selecting Glenn at #10. But picking him up at #41, I am super excited! God was certainly watching over the Bills with this draft.

I tell you what: if God thinks this one little draft is going to make up for a treasure trove of garbage, he has a worse sense of humor than we do.

Once you get beyond the first 10-15 players opinions throughout a draft, any draft, start to differ greatly!

For OL very difficult to evaluate most of these guys because so few college teams use a pro system, with pulling guard and trap blocking. They almost all use zonal blocking skeems and in the pros use a much wider variety of blocking techniques. Only Sanford, Wisconsin and a handful of other programs really run a stsyem that make evaluating there OL easy for pro scouts.

here's two good question for everyone.

1. What the biggest difference between a RT and LT?

2. Exactly what is a waste bender? and how does that hurt your ability as an OL?

Kiper is an idiot...no idea how he has not been replaced after all these years. I cant stand listening to him. I remember when Colt McCoy dropped in the draft and he went on an on about it all through the first round, look at Colt now Mel.

Just remember, NO evaluator is perfect....If they were, Tom Brady would have been picked #1 overall and not in the 6th round....

Glenn probably dropped to the 2nd round because of his weight and footwork.

Mike Mayock had his listed as a guard or possible RT, said his footwork wasn't good enough for LT. Now he also stated that which ever team drafts him and moves him inside he could see him becoming an all pro guard. pretty high praise IMO.

Buddy Nix did state that he thinks Hairston will be fine at LT this year, and I think he meant it or the Bills would have gone LT with that 10th pick IMO.

Both Gailey and Nix have stated they think Glenn will be a LT, they don't think his weight will be an issue because he was asked at Georgia to add weight and he did just that. He started at LT last year and got better every week. Even if he ends up at guard and becomes a pro bowler, would that be so bad?

I'm just happy that this regime finally addressed the O line to some degree, and offense. Not once but 4 times, 3 linemen and one WR. Now I just hope they all stick,and play well :D

Glenn probably dropped to the 2nd round because of his weight and footwork.

That's the thing. Kalil is 40# lighter than Glenn. Martin is 20# lighter. You get Glenn to lose 20# and he's got quick-enough feet, and more stamina.

In my crystal ball I see Jackson and Spiller running for big yardage on what ever side this dude lines up. The worst case scenario is if the guy can't play either tackle spot then he will immediately upgrade the RG spot. Levitre, Wood, and Glenn in the middle would be a huge consolation prize for a team that needs to run the ball effectively between the tackles for the spread offense to really work. :beer:

But yet Kiper and McShay gives us poor grades because they see him as an G...

These guys really are worthless

Just goes to show you how hypocritical they are, too. They both had him going in the first round. Heck, Kiper had him ranked #14 on his board. Seems they should have been harping on the "value" the Bills got by getting him in the second round.

Why anyone gives a crap about anything any of these guys says leading up to and immediately after a draft is beyond me.

GO BILLS!!!

The reason for the disparity of opinions on Glenn come from, I think, the fact that he didn't move to LT until last season and he wasn't great from the start. In fact, he's said he had a lot to learn. What I think Nix liked was that he most definitely improved week to week. The guy who started the last game of the season was a much better LT than the guy in Week One. And that bodes very, very well for the Bills.

As to Graham, the Bills were looking for a tall burner who could really stretch the field (a major problem for the Bills in the second half of last season). The most important part of that profile was "burner." So they couldn't get a receiver who combined the whole dream package and instead took a guy who will put defenses back on their heels. Gonna be hard to cheat up into the box when Graham can blow past you. Right now, I'm sure Fitz is doing his best Amish Back Flip.

In my crystal ball I see Jackson and Spiller running for big yardage on what ever side this dude lines up. The worst case scenario is if the guy can't play either tackle spot then he will immediately upgrade the RG spot. Levitre, Wood, and Glenn in the middle would be a huge consolation prize for a team that needs to run the ball effectively between the tackles for the spread offense to really work. :beer:

Nix and Glenn both have said that he'll concentrate on playing LT. I think they want him to be the starting LT and don't want him splitting his study and practice time among different positions.

Just goes to show you how hypocritical they are, too. They both had him going in the first round. Heck, Kiper had him ranked #14 on his board. Seems they should have been harping on the "value" the Bills got by getting him in the second round.

Why anyone gives a crap about anything any of these guys says leading up to and immediately after a draft is beyond me.

GO BILLS!!!

Entirely correct. I don't have a problem listening to their scouting reports and some of the info that they have. I do disagree when they think they know more the team when it comes to what position that layer should play. You can't say Glenn is the 14th best player in the draft and is great value/a steal at #41 and then say it is a mistake to play the player at LT; especially when he has the size and got better each week playing in that position in his senior season. That is just faulting reasoning. If Kiper was so great he would be a scout or GM for a team. McShay is the worst of the bunch...

That's the thing. Kalil is 40# lighter than Glenn. Martin is 20# lighter. You get Glenn to lose 20# and he's got quick-enough feet, and more stamina.

For completeness' sake, Glenn is 3/4" shorter than Kalil, yet 40# heavier. I'm curious to see what weight they'll want him at?