Backup QB situation

Woody

I know many are upset we did not land a QB in this draft, considering the extremely weak looking play of Thigpen. A few guys they may have wanted (Wilson, Cousins) were gone, and looks like they did not think anyone else was worth a pick (maybe hoping to land someone at day's end via the UFA route). I think what many of us are currently forgetting is that there is still a real long way to go before the season starts. I think we will upgrade the backup position before the season, maybe as late as mid-camp if necessary -- as other teams start to trim rosters. How good a QB? A player to groom behind Fitz? I'd think maybe, but more likely, a journeyman type, servicable guy, being cut by one of these teams who did pick up young talent. I know Beck was cut -- but that isn't the guy. Be patient...and something will come our way. Buddy knows what he's doing. Looking at the "Todd Collins-esque dear in the headlights" look Thigpen seemed to wear last season, ya gotta think something better will pop up somewhere along the line. GO GO BUFFALO!!!

I know many are upset we did not land a QB in this draft, considering the extremely weak looking play of Thigpen. A few guys they may have wanted (Wilson, Cousins) were gone, and looks like they did not think anyone else was worth a pick (maybe hoping to land someone at day's end via the UFA route). I think what many of us are currently forgetting is that there is still a real long way to go before the season starts. I think we will upgrade the backup position before the season, maybe as late as mid-camp if necessary -- as other teams start to trim rosters. How good a QB? A player to groom behind Fitz? I'd think maybe, but more likely, a journeyman type, servicable guy, being cut by one of these teams who did pick up young talent. I know Beck was cut -- but that isn't the guy. Be patient...and something will come our way. Buddy knows what he's doing. Looking at the "Todd Collins-esque dear in the headlights" look Thigpen seemed to wear last season, ya gotta think something better will pop up somewhere along the line. GO GO BUFFALO!!!

Patience is not in abundant supply on this board.

This article gives some hope

alludes to Aaron Corp being possible sleeper pick.

Pro Football Wekly in their draft guide said he has had 2 major injuries; broken bone at the head of his fibula in left leg and torn ACL in Corp's right leg. Needs to bulk up to survive a pounding and get physically stronger with his arm strength. Suited for a backup role in a dink & dunk West Coast offense. Average arm strength. Needs maximun protection in the pocket to be effective as escapability is just adequate.

Supposedly is a very good touch passer with a quick short-armed release who played in a pro style offense. Confident and was team captain.

Could be an eventual PS player but view this signing as merely a QB to take snaps in training camp. All teams bring in "camp fodder" to run the scout teams and once in a blue moon a diamond in the rough is discovered. We can only hope this is the case with Aaron Corp.

Why is Tyler Thigpen not a decent option as a backup QB? He had a decent amount of success with Chan in KC and played some with the Fins. The guy isn't going to set the world on fire but with a full season in the system and a full off-season to build some chemistry with the team I think he is a good backup to have. Your backup QB isn't going to be a great player 90% of the time BUT if your QB goes down for 2-4 games he can give you a shot to go .500 he is doing his job.

3rd sting QB's are just usually young players that are riding the pine. Lots of un-drafted and low tier free agents that could be brought in to compete for that 3rd string spot.

Did anyone pick up Billy Volek? For an older guy Billy Volek can still play. He is extremely sound in all aspects of his game. I like Volek's style. It's doubtful he'll leave Southern California for Buffalo, but IMO, this guy is a better option than both Thigpen and Corp.

Matt Leinart has played reasonably well before getting injured. Not sure why they don't take a run at him. Just say no to Beck. Maybe Tavaris Jackson if he gets cut by Seattle? Are there really any other good options out there???

The half a game he played this year before he broke his collerbone, again? Leinart makes trent Edwards look like a gunslinger

Did anyone pick up Billy Volek? For an older guy Billy Volek can still play. He is extremely sound in all aspects of his game. I like Volek's style. It's doubtful he'll leave Southern California for Buffalo, but IMO, this guy is a better option than both Thigpen and Corp.

That's not a bad idea. It might be a tad easier to get him to Buffalo now that we are a team on the rise. I still can see the Bills taking Fitzy eventual successor in the first or second round. NFL.com states the QB position is deep in next years draft.

They have six players listed 3 play for SEC Schools and one Florida State QB.

My link

This article gives some hope

alludes to Aaron Corp being possible sleeper pick.

Other than RG3 and Luck, Corp has just as good a chance or better than any of the other QB's in that draft IMO. This is a steal for the Bills. He was highly recruited out of high school, then beat out Barkley in training camp. He didn't get much draft attention because his college career was derailed by injuries (and Barkley). The best part about it is no risk, he didn't cost a pick and if this kid ends up being a bum we are no worse off than we are now. Best case scenario, when healthy he is the stud QB USC thought he was...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We also can remember that Thigpen had no OTAs and almost no training camp time prior to playing in preseason games due to the restrictions set by the new CBA. His first practice with the team was August 4th, their first preaseason game was August 13th. I hope his performance will be better assuming more knowledge of the playbook and acclimation to the players/plays. Though I agree that it would not hurt to have another option in case that does not come to fruition.

Edited by Carey Bender

We also can remember that Thigpen had no OTAs and almost no training camp time prior to playing in preseason games due to the restrictions set by the new CBA. I hope his performance will be better assuming more knowledge of the playbook. Though I agree that it would not hurt to have another option in case that does not come to fruition.

Good point. Don't forget our "depth" at o-line and WR which he was playing with in the pre-season last year was less than NFL level. I liked the Thigpen signing, but there is no denying that he looked absolutely awful in our limited looks at him last year. Perhaps training camp and a deeper team will make him look a little more like the quality backup the Bills thought they signed.

And again, signing Corp as a sleeper prospect to groom was a very solid move IMO.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/best-undrafted-players-2012-offense-190032664.html

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You just have to get lucky with QBs. I would rather the right guy than just any guy.

Look at Green Bay.

In 2003, they wanted Grossman to be the QB of the future. The Bears traded up to take him, Green Bay fans were upset.

In 2004, they wanted Losman to be the QB of the future. The Bills traded up to take him, Green Bay fans were upset.

In 2005, Rodgers fell.

One of these years, a QB that they like will be available at a spot they like. Until then, we can sift around in the dumpster for the next Kurt Warner.

Edited by cody