Love The Draft But Fitz Still Holds Key

With the most talent the Bills have had on a team in over a decade, it is imperative that Fitz proves he has what it takes to take them to the next level. This talent that is being collected must not go to waste and I REALLY hope Fitz can prove to be the guy who showed up for the first part of the season last year. I see the season as playing out in one of 3 ways:

1) Fitz nails it and the Bills sneak into the post season. They are one more draft and free agency from taking a legitimate shot at the AFC

2) Fitz proves he is basically just a game manager but with the talent added from next year's draft and FA, the Bills show they can still be competitive on a yearly basis. The best scenario I see here is making the playoffs a few years but having a tough time advancing.

3) Fitz is just not the guy and the Bills must do EVERYTHING possible to get a franchise QB in next year's draft.

I optimistically see the year falling somewhere between 1 and 2 as the energy is restored to the Ralph once again....

With the most talent the Bills have had on a team in over a decade, it is imperative that Fitz proves he has what it takes to take them to the next level. This talent that is being collected must not go to waste and I REALLY hope Fitz can prove to be the guy who showed up for the first part of the season last year. I see the season as playing out in one of 3 ways:

1) Fitz nails it and the Bills sneak into the post season. They are one more draft and free agency from taking a legitimate shot at the AFC

2) Fitz proves he is basically just a game manager but with the talent added from next year's draft and FA, the Bills show they can still be competitive on a yearly basis. The best scenario I see here is making the playoffs a few years but having a tough time advancing.

3) Fitz is just not the guy and the Bills must do EVERYTHING possible to get a franchise QB in next year's draft.

I optimistically see the year falling somewhere between 1 and 2 as the energy is restored to the Ralph once again....

Even if Fitz has an epic failure I don't see the Bills doing what it would take to get a Barkley or whomever else is the top rated QB. It's not Buddy's MO to trade away picks like that. But you never know. I just think it's unlikely.

Fitz was nailing it last year before key injuries decimated the offense - Fred Jackson, Eric Wood, Revolving WR 2 Door. We were headed to the playoffs before all of these injuries. And if you remove injuries from the conversation, The Bills were still one play from winning multiple games - Bengals, GMEN and JETS (in NY). Should have made playoffs last season

Fitz is more than fine. Playoffs this year.

Even if Fitz has an epic failure I don't see the Bills doing what it would take to get a Barkley or whomever else is the top rated QB. It's not Buddy's MO to trade away picks like that. But you never know. I just think it's unlikely.

it wasn't his mo to go after the biggest and best fa and back the brinks truck up either. i think it all depends on the player and where the team is headed. i really want fitz to succeed because he seems like a great guy and i love him as my qb. but if it comes to pass that we need a new qb, i think buddy will give it his full attention and do what it takes to make it happen.

it wasn't his mo to go after the biggest and best fa and back the brinks truck up either. i think it all depends on the player and where the team is headed. i really want fitz to succeed because he seems like a great guy and i love him as my qb. but if it comes to pass that we need a new qb, i think buddy will give it his full attention and do what it takes to make it happen.

A valid point, SWNY. Very valid.

To me, it's "Do or Die" for Chan more than Fitz. Chan has some weapons on O besides Fitz and SJ - FredEx, Spiller, Brad Smith for the Wildcat. He's got the innovator of the Wildcat stashed here as QB coach.

It's really on Chan to prove he deserves his rep as an offensive innovator who adapts his scheme to the players he's got. He really didn't show that to me last year. If he keeps up with calling game plans as though Fitz is Rodgers or Brees, and FJ/CJ are not top backs in the NFL, we will NOT succeed - I like Fitz, I think he's capable of winning, and I know he's no Rodgers or Brees.

Therw is a growing sense that the rest of the teams talent level is advancing beyond Fitz'

Growing where?

On offense, I don't see how that's true - yet. I think Fitz makes the OL workable and makes the WR corp and TE look better than they are.

Now maybe we will make some good WR and TE acq's in FA and maybe with this year's draft class mixed in, the OL will take a big step. But as of today? Can't see that, sorry.

Your personal mileage may vary and judging by other postings, probably does but point me at the evidence for this "growing sense" thing.

Trust me, if Fitz IS an epic fail, Buffy and Co will have no choice but to go after a top flight QB. Jobs will be on the line and this team very well may be a QB away from contender. I think Fitz comes through though....

As I see it, your options can be summarized thusly

1) Yes

2) Maybe/sort of

3) No

In my mind, there's not such thing as maybe/sort of, at least not at the quarterback position. Unless Fitz is a 1), he's a 3). There's nothing in between those two categories--at least not if the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

As for Fitz's good performances early in the season: they came against chopped liver defenses. Even then, there were a number of inaccurate throws mixed in. Fortunately for Fitz, the DBs he faced dropped just about everything he threw their way, and allowed the Bills plenty of opportunity to come back from the occasional missed throw. But when defenses got better, and when they adapted to Chan's quick passing game, the offense slowed down. The Bengals game is a good example of that.

There's a lot to like about Fitz as a quarterback . . . except for his accuracy. He'll be accurate some of the time, but will follow up a perfectly good throw with a real disappointment. It's not even like his inaccurate throws come on long balls only.

If Fitz can fix that problem, the sky is the limit for this team, especially over the long run. Unfortunately, the odds are heavily against him fixing it.

I prefer to just think of us as a true team playing by committee and seeing how far that can take us. I honestly doubt we'll have a guy that can carry us alone...ever again..

and i'm more than ok with that. in theory, we could have a collection of guys we are proud to call the buffalo bills that buy into the "team" concept and play very haed for one another rather than a bunch of guys led by a supremely talented egomaniac that doesn't give a damn for anyone but himself. i'll take this band of "misfitz" and say i'm a billiever!

Edited by swnybillsfan

Chan has to rein Fitz in. He can't give Fitz the playbook because he can't make all of the throws accurately. A more balanced attack will make Fitz a better QB. I'd also like to see Fitz use his legs a bit more this year.

Perfect. Fitz should be treated with run heavy offense and he can shine. Fitz also has the green light to run more

Just put $200 on us to win the SB. 85-1 = 17,000$ with plans to hedge if they make the playoffs with a cakewalk schedule. Now I remember why we're 85-1. Fitz is our QB. Sorry fitz fans, it's true.

Fitz isn't a star, by any measure, but there are good things he can do. The long ball isn't one of them, but even those throws could have only been made tougher with cracked ribs, which may explain a few of those under thrown balls that likely cost the Bills a win or two (with the ensuing picks).

I'm far more worried at this point with what is behind him. Thigpen? He was horrible in preseason last year, horrible in his few regular season appearances, and there's no development QB is sight. Sure hope a quality backup QB comes available (Nix hinted he expects some and I hope he's right).

If Fitz "nails it" the Bills won't be sneaking into the playoffs. They're gonna win the division straight up and possibly host a playoff game or two (if he 'nails it' that is).

The Bills got screwed last year by injury. If we have 50% less injuries this year, I would be surprised if we don't make the playoffs. (I do think we have to win three games out of the six we play in our division though)