Merriman is a defensive end?

bbb

he will play DE in the 43. his natural position is OLB in a 34. usually olds ina 43 are a bit smaller. hes a pass rusher first and foremost so when switching schemes he bounces between de/olb

Did we know this? My friends things I'm stupid, but I'm optimistic about him this year. But, I was thinking of him as a linebacker. I'm not sure where he fits in at defensive end now:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article826510.ece

He doesn't, every time Merriman lined up at end he got stoned, maybe playing wide 9 but the way we are going to have them it wont work.

Did we know this? My friends things I'm stupid, but I'm optimistic about him this year. But, I was thinking of him as a linebacker. I'm not sure where he fits in at defensive end now:

Said this in another thread, but I'll explain again...

Shawne played DE in College, so DE isn't completely foreign to him. Pass rushing OLB's in a 3-4 are not the same as a SAM/WILL linebacker in a 4-3. The assignments are completely different. A DE in a 4-3 is basically a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. Thats why last year Mario Williams went from DE to OLB. Don't get hung up on what the position is called. Wannstedt has been asked a couple times and said Merriman will be lined up at DE. Merriman himself has said he'll be playing DE and can do it. The Bills roster has him listed as DE. In short, he will be playing DE in a 4-3, and if healthy the Bills will have one MONSTER rotational defensive line.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

He doesn't, every time Merriman lined up at end he got stoned, maybe playing wide 9 but the way we are going to have them it wont work.

Huh? stoned? you do know he was a DE in college and in the 5 games I watched him in last year, he did really well setting (which was a weakness in his game, during his best days in SD) the edge on runs and was doubled almost every pass play. He as far as I saw and remember didn't line up outside the TE by much if at all :unsure::blink:<_< . I kinda think people like saying "wide nine" it is not really even used much except by Philly and I saw it in the Denver game (and the jests with Maybin but that is actually different).

Edited by bowery4

Buffalo will give him the option of putting his hand down or not, nothing real different, seek QB, hit QB, cause turnovers on third and long...simple. 20 plays a game, tops.

this

kelsay gets most of the run downs giving some of them up to anderson; merriman splits pass downs with anderson; killer rotation

Huh? stoned? you do know he was a DE in college and in the 5 games I watched him in last year, he did really well setting (which was a weakness in his game, during his best days in SD) the edge on runs and was doubled almost every pass play. He as far as I saw and remember didn't line up outside the TE by much if at all :unsure::blink:<_< . I kinda think people like saying "wide nine" it is not really even used much except by Philly and I saw it in the Denver game (and the jests with Maybin but that is actually different).

This. He took what little pass rush the Bills had with him when he went down last year. Let's hope for the best this year, although they now have some pretty good pass rushers if he doesn't hold up.

This. He took what little pass rush the Bills had with him when he went down last year. Let's hope for the best this year, although they now have some pretty good pass rushers if he doesn't hold up.

They may also use 3 DE's similar to the Giants 4 DE pass rush.

Thanks Bowery I couldn't have said it better. I agree, I thought he did a good job setting the edge in the 1st few games last year.

The big concern with Merriman is what it's always been. Is he recovered enough to get back some of his old form, and if he is, can he stay that way?

Don't worry about where he lines up, he's a baller, if he's healthy enough to play he'll contribute.

If I read correctly, our LBs are going to be asked to cover more. Merriman doesn't fit that description.

I still think that Lights Out will be playing LB this year. Line him up with Shep & Barnett behind Anderson, Dareus, Williams and Williams will be a dominate front 7.

If only it were that simple.

Unfortunately its not, a 4-3 OLB is expected to do a lot of covering, whether in man2man or zone. I don't see Lights Out being able to cover TE's and RB's.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I still think that Lights Out will be playing LB this year. Line him up with Shep & Barnett behind Anderson, Dareus, Williams and Williams will be a dominate front 7.

That would be bad.

Doesn't mean the Bills won't do it - after all they fielded Spencer Johnson, bless him, and Kelsey as OLB last year.

The role of a OLB in a 4-3 is very different. I wouldn't want to say Merriman couldn't do it - when healthy, he can just flat-out play football. It wouldn't be playing to his strengths though. The OLB in a 4-3 needs to cover.

I really think Merriman will be a pass-rush guy only. He can't take the punishment of playing every down anymore. He can get after the QB on passing downs however. I really think we'll have plays where our D-Line will be consist of Merriman, M. WIlliams, K. Williams, Dareus, and Anderson. We'll hopefully get 5 1:1 match-ups. I think at least one of those five guys wins a 1:1 matchup.

Merriman will play wherever Dave W. wants him to play to be the most effective. Don't get too caught up in where he's listed as a position.

If he regains his speed, hell if he can just be as good as he was in the last preseason game, you might seem him in a roll similar to what Biscuit used to do. Line up someplace and wreak havoc.