Bandit's Mock

thebandit27

So the practice of Mock Drafts is a bit silly, but I do one every year. Why? Two reasons: (1) it’s fun, and (2) it allows me to gather my thoughts regarding where a player is likely to be taken, which makes tracking the draft more interesting.

Before we get to the actual picks, here’s how this sucker gets put together: I base each pick on a hierarchy that places a premium on the quality of the football player (includes both on-field and off-field acumen), followed by how well said player fits the team’s identity/scheme/makeup, followed lastly by whether or not he fills a need. So, in short, player ability > best fit > team need.

Let me also add that the following is not a statement of what I would do, but rather a best guess as to what I think each team will be thinking come tomorrow night. As always, I welcome your feedback. Okay, here we go:

1. Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck - QB/Stanford

No drama here, new coach + new GM + no more Manning adds up to Andrew Luck.

2. Washington Redskins (f/ St. L) Robert Griffin III - QB/Baylor

Again, no mystery, Mike Shanahan gets his man.

3. Minnesota Vikings Matt Kalil - OT/USC

I don’t buy the Vikings’ “we don’t like Kalil” stuff. Top OT in the draft, fits their system, major need; just makes too much sense.

4. Cleveland Browns Trent Richardson - RB/Alabama

They need the best offensive weapon they can get, and Richardson’s been called the best player in the draft by some.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Morris Claiborne - CB/LSU

Great value pick for a team that could lose top CB Aquib Talib to suspension and Ronde Barber to the geriatric community.

6. St. Louis Rams (f/ Was) Justin Blackmon - WR/Oklahoma State

The best remaining player falls to the team that needs his services the most; Jeff Fisher finally gets Sam Bradford a quality target.

7. Philadelphia Eagles (f/ Jax) Fletcher Cox - DT/Mississippi State

*** Projected Trade ***

Philly’s interior DL was awful last year, DL coach Jim Washburn LOVES interior pass rushers, and Andy Reid is never shy to trade up. Plus Cox is almost the consensus “next best” after the top 6.

8. Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill - QB/Texas A&M

I can’t shake the feeling that Owner Stephen Ross wants to make a splash, and selecting a QB would do the trick. If not, they could go with Michael Floyd.

9. Carolina Panthers Michael Floyd - WR/Notre Dame

Lots of options for the Panthers here (Gilmore, Kuechly, Coples), but I’m giving them Floyd. He’s a big target and a top-10 talent, and they need weapons for Cam Newton.

10. Buffalo Bills Jonathan Martin - OT/Stanford

As Bills’ fans, we’ve heard all the chatter and conjecture, and here’s what I’ve come up with: they want a LT, they seem to like Martin, and they think the WR and CB class is deep, so that’s where I’m going with this.

11. Kansas City Chiefs Luke Kuechly - LB/Boston College

Head Coach Romeo Crennel loves active inside ‘backers, and pairing Kuechly with Derrick Johnson would add some pop to their front 7.

12. Seattle Seahawks Melvin Ingram - LB/South Carolina

For a team that lost LB David Hawthorne in FA and needs pass rush help, the most athletic defender in the draft would be a great fit.

13. Arizona Cardinals Cordy Glenn - OT/Georgia

OL Coach Russ Grimm loves big, athletic, versatile linemen. Tell me that’s not Glenn…

14. Dallas Cowboys Mark Barron - S/Alabama

Word is the Cowboys are hot for Barron, having him drop to 14 would be huge.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars Stephon Gilmore - CB/South Carolina

*** Projected Trade ***

The Jags move down 8 slots and still get their man. He’ll solidify a secondary that already boasts Rashean Mathis and Aaron Ross.

16. New York Jets Reilly Reiff - OT/Iowa

After watching Wayne Hunter get schooled at RT, the Jets go with the best RT on the board.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (f/ Oak) Dontari Poe - DT/Memphis

Marvin Lewis can’t resist taking a guy that could become the next Haloti Ngata.

18. San Diego Chargers David Decastro - OG/Stanford

The best player on the board goes to a team that lost one of the best OGs in football to retirement.

19. Chicago Bears Quintin Coples - DE/North Carolina

The slide ends here as the Bears pair Coples with UNC alum Julius Peppers to bolster their pass rush.

20. Tennessee Titans Dre Kirkpatrick - CB/Alabama

The Titans take the best player on the board and fill what became their biggest need after losing Cortland Finnegan in FA.

21. Cincinnati Bengals Whitney Mercilus - DE/Illinois

The departures of Jonathan Fanene and Frostee Rucker leave Cinci bereft of DEs. Mercilus lead the NCAA in sacks in 2011.

22. Cleveland Browns (f/ Atl) Kendall Wright - WR/Baylor

Another playmaker for the Browns offense, Wright and Richardson…nice haul.

23. Detroit Lions Nick Perry - DE/USC

Cliff Avril is unsigned as a franchise player, and Kyle Vanden Bosch is like 90 years old, adding another pass rusher to Jim Schwartz’s defense makes sense here.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers Dont'a Hightower - LB/Alabama

This one is simple: Hightower is a great defender, and Pittsburgh needs an ILB to replace the departed James Farrior.

25. Denver Broncos Michael Brockers - DT/LSU

Head Coach John Fox smells value with Brockers at the 25 slot, and they desperately need to bolster their run defense.

26. Houston Texans Stephen Hill - WR/Georgia Tech

The offense made due without a No. 2 WR last year, but they want to take some pressure of their running game and Andre Johnson. Hill can stretch the field and do just that.

27. New England Patriots (f/ NO) Courtney Upshaw - LB/Alabama

Not too many expect Upshaw to fall this far, but he just doesn’t seem to excel at any one thing. That suits NE just fine, as they need a jack-of-all-trades LB in their 3-4.

28. Green Bay Packers Shea McClellin - LB/Boise State

A fast-riser, McClellin can provide much-needed pass rush help opposite Clay Matthews.

29. San Francisco 49ers Coby Fleener - TE/Stanford

Jim Harbaugh can’t resist adding his former star TE, which will provide their offense with another pass-catching target.

30. Baltimore Ravens Peter Konz - C/Wisconsin

GM Ozzie Newsome has always been a BPA guy, and he gets Konz, who will eventually replace Matt Birk at center.

31. Houston Texans Mike Adams - OT/Ohio State

*** Projected Trade ***

When has NE ever kept both first-round picks? Houston moves up to get the RT they need after cutting ties with Eric Winston

32. New York Giants Amini Silatolu - OG/Midwestern State

Call it a hunch, but I think several teams love Silatolu, and he makes sense for the G-Men, who need to stabilize their OL.

Round 2

1 33 St. Louis Rams Doug Martin - RB/Boise State

2 34 Indianapolis Colts Chandler Jones - DE/Syracuse

3 35 Minnesota Vikings Alshon Jeffrey - WR/South Carolina

4 36 Tampa Bay Buccaneers David Wilson - RB/Virginia Tech

5 37 Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden - QB/Oklahoma State

6 38 Jacksonville Jaguars Mohamed Sanu - WR/Rutgers

7 39 St. Louis Rams (f/ Was) Janoris Jenkins - CB/North Alabama

8 40 Carolina Panthers Jerel Worthy - DT/Michigan State

9 41 Buffalo Bills Brian Quick - WR/Appalachain State

10 42 Miami Dolphins Andre Branch - DE/Clemson

11 43 Seattle Seahawks Kendell Reyes - DT/UConn

12 44 Kansas City Chiefs Josh Robinson - CB/Central Florida

13 45 Dallas Cowboys Dwayne Allen - TE/Clemson

14 46 Jacksonville Jaguars (f/ Phi) Lavonte David - LB/Nebraska

15 47 New York Jets Rueben Randle - WR/LSU

16 48 New England Patriots (f/ Oak) Harrison Smith - S/Notre Dame

17 49 San Diego Chargers Vinny Curry - DE/Marshall

18 50 Chicago Bears Orson Charles - TE/Georgia

19 51 Philadelphia Eagles (f/ Ari) Kirk Cousins - QB/Michigan State

20 52 Tennessee Titans Trumaine Johnson - CB/Montana

21 53 Cincinnati Bengals Kevin Zeitler - OG/Wisconsin

22 54 Detroit Lions Bobby Massie - OT/Ole Miss

23 55 Atlanta Falcons Mychal Kendricks - LB/California

24 56 Pittsburgh Steelers Devon Still - DT/Penn State

25 57 Denver Broncos Brock Osweiler - QB/Arizona State

26 58 New England Patriots (f/ Hou) Brandon Thompson - DT/Clemson

27 ** Selection Forfeitted **

28 59 Green Bay Packers Brandon Taylor - S/LSU

29 60 Baltimore Ravens Lamar Miller - RB/Miami

30 61 San Francisco 49ers Brandon Brooks - OG/Miami (OH)

31 62 New England Patriots Jayron Hosley - CB/Virginia Tech

32 63 New York Giants Zach Brown - LB/North Carolina

So the practice of Mock Drafts is a bit silly, but I do one every year. Why? Two reasons: (1) it’s fun, and (2) it allows me to gather my thoughts regarding where a player is likely to be taken, which makes tracking the draft more interesting.

Before we get to the actual picks, here’s how this sucker gets put together: I base each pick on a hierarchy that places a premium on the quality of the football player (includes both on-field and off-field acumen), followed by how well said player fits the team’s identity/scheme/makeup, followed lastly by whether or not he fills a need. So, in short, player ability > best fit > team need.

With all due respect, Bandit, I must disagree with your selection of Martin. He will be good, yes, but I just don't think he'll be ready to contribute right away, and that's what I think we need from our 1st-rounder.

With all due respect, Bandit, I must disagree with your selection of Martin. He will be good, yes, but I just don't think he'll be ready to contribute right away, and that's what I think we need from our 1st-rounder.

Disagree away man. I just can't shake the idea that they're going to pick a LT...

1335380850[/url]' post='2445825']

Disagree away man. I just can't shake the idea that they're going to pick a LT...

I feel the same way. I really hope we don't draft a LT unless its kalil, but I think we're gonna go with Rieff, Glenn, Martin or even Adams. If Martin is our guy, I think we will trade down. Even of we just add a third, it'll be worth it as I think Martin will be available in the mid 20s. If we can trade into the 20s, we'll get multiple picks. Jackpot.

But I really hope Martin isn't the guy we are targeting.

Let me also add that the following is not a statement of what I would do, but rather a best guess as to what I think each team will be thinking come tomorrow night. As always, I welcome your feedback. Okay, here we go:

1. Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck - QB/Stanford

No drama here, new coach + new GM + no more Manning adds up to Andrew Luck.

2. Washington Redskins (f/ St. L) Robert Griffin III - QB/Baylor

Again, no mystery, Mike Shanahan gets his man.

3. Minnesota Vikings Matt Kalil - OT/USC

I don’t buy the Vikings’ “we don’t like Kalil” stuff. Top OT in the draft, fits their system, major need; just makes too much sense.

4. Cleveland Browns Trent Richardson - RB/Alabama

They need the best offensive weapon they can get, and Richardson’s been called the best player in the draft by some.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Morris Claiborne - CB/LSU

Great value pick for a team that could lose top CB Aquib Talib to suspension and Ronde Barber to the geriatric community.

6. St. Louis Rams (f/ Was) Justin Blackmon - WR/Oklahoma State

The best remaining player falls to the team that needs his services the most; Jeff Fisher finally gets Sam Bradford a quality target.

7. Philadelphia Eagles (f/ Jax) Fletcher Cox - DT/Mississippi State

*** Projected Trade ***

Philly’s interior DL was awful last year, DL coach Jim Washburn LOVES interior pass rushers, and Andy Reid is never shy to trade up. Plus Cox is almost the consensus “next best” after the top 6.

8. Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill - QB/Texas A&M

I can’t shake the feeling that Owner Stephen Ross wants to make a splash, and selecting a QB would do the trick. If not, they could go with Michael Floyd.

9. Carolina Panthers Michael Floyd - WR/Notre Dame

Lots of options for the Panthers here (Gilmore, Kuechly, Coples), but I’m giving them Floyd. He’s a big target and a top-10 talent, and they need weapons for Cam Newton.

10. Buffalo Bills Jonathan Martin - OT/Stanford

As Bills’ fans, we’ve heard all the chatter and conjecture, and here’s what I’ve come up with: they want a LT, they seem to like Martin, and they think the WR and CB class is deep, so that’s where I’m going with this.

11. Kansas City Chiefs Luke Kuechly - LB/Boston College

Head Coach Romeo Crennel loves active inside ‘backers, and pairing Kuechly with Derrick Johnson would add some pop to their front 7.

12. Seattle Seahawks Melvin Ingram - LB/South Carolina

For a team that lost LB David Hawthorne in FA and needs pass rush help, the most athletic defender in the draft would be a great fit.

13. Arizona Cardinals Cordy Glenn - OT/Georgia

OL Coach Russ Grimm loves big, athletic, versatile linemen. Tell me that’s not Glenn…

14. Dallas Cowboys Mark Barron - S/Alabama

Word is the Cowboys are hot for Barron, having him drop to 14 would be huge.

15. Jacksonville Jaguars Stephon Gilmore - CB/South Carolina

*** Projected Trade ***

The Jags move down 8 slots and still get their man. He’ll solidify a secondary that already boasts Rashean Mathis and Aaron Ross.

16. New York Jets Reilly Reiff - OT/Iowa

After watching Wayne Hunter get schooled at RT, the Jets go with the best RT on the board.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (f/ Oak) Dontari Poe - DT/Memphis

Marvin Lewis can’t resist taking a guy that could become the next Haloti Ngata.

18. San Diego Chargers David Decastro - OG/Stanford

The best player on the board goes to a team that lost one of the best OGs in football to retirement.

19. Chicago Bears Quintin Coples - DE/North Carolina

The slide ends here as the Bears pair Coples with UNC alum Julius Peppers to bolster their pass rush.

20. Tennessee Titans Dre Kirkpatrick - CB/Alabama

The Titans take the best player on the board and fill what became their biggest need after losing Cortland Finnegan in FA.

21. Cincinnati Bengals Whitney Mercilus - DE/Illinois

The departures of Jonathan Fanene and Frostee Rucker leave Cinci bereft of DEs. Mercilus lead the NCAA in sacks in 2011.

22. Cleveland Browns (f/ Atl) Kendall Wright - WR/Baylor

Another playmaker for the Browns offense, Wright and Richardson…nice haul.

23. Detroit Lions Nick Perry - DE/USC

Cliff Avril is unsigned as a franchise player, and Kyle Vanden Bosch is like 90 years old, adding another pass rusher to Jim Schwartz’s defense makes sense here.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers Dont'a Hightower - LB/Alabama

This one is simple: Hightower is a great defender, and Pittsburgh needs an ILB to replace the departed James Farrior.

25. Denver Broncos Michael Brockers - DT/LSU

Head Coach John Fox smells value with Brockers at the 25 slot, and they desperately need to bolster their run defense.

26. Houston Texans Stephen Hill - WR/Georgia Tech

The offense made due without a No. 2 WR last year, but they want to take some pressure of their running game and Andre Johnson. Hill can stretch the field and do just that.

27. New England Patriots (f/ NO) Courtney Upshaw - LB/Alabama

Not too many expect Upshaw to fall this far, but he just doesn’t seem to excel at any one thing. That suits NE just fine, as they need a jack-of-all-trades LB in their 3-4.

28. Green Bay Packers Shea McClellin - LB/Boise State

A fast-riser, McClellin can provide much-needed pass rush help opposite Clay Matthews.

29. San Francisco 49ers Coby Fleener - TE/Stanford

Jim Harbaugh can’t resist adding his former star TE, which will provide their offense with another pass-catching target.

30. Baltimore Ravens Peter Konz - C/Wisconsin

GM Ozzie Newsome has always been a BPA guy, and he gets Konz, who will eventually replace Matt Birk at center.

31. Houston Texans Mike Adams - OT/Ohio State

*** Projected Trade ***

When has NE ever kept both first-round picks? Houston moves up to get the RT they need after cutting ties with Eric Winston

32. New York Giants Amini Silatolu - OG/Midwestern State

Call it a hunch, but I think several teams love Silatolu, and he makes sense for the G-Men, who need to stabilize their OL.

Round 2

1 33 St. Louis Rams Doug Martin - RB/Boise State

2 34 Indianapolis Colts Chandler Jones - DE/Syracuse

3 35 Minnesota Vikings Alshon Jeffrey - WR/South Carolina

4 36 Tampa Bay Buccaneers David Wilson - RB/Virginia Tech

5 37 Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden - QB/Oklahoma State

6 38 Jacksonville Jaguars Mohamed Sanu - WR/Rutgers

7 39 St. Louis Rams (f/ Was) Janoris Jenkins - CB/North Alabama

8 40 Carolina Panthers Jerel Worthy - DT/Michigan State

9 41 Buffalo Bills Brian Quick - WR/Appalachain State

10 42 Miami Dolphins Andre Branch - DE/Clemson

11 43 Seattle Seahawks Kendell Reyes - DT/UConn

12 44 Kansas City Chiefs Josh Robinson - CB/Central Florida

13 45 Dallas Cowboys Dwayne Allen - TE/Clemson

14 46 Jacksonville Jaguars (f/ Phi) Lavonte David - LB/Nebraska

15 47 New York Jets Rueben Randle - WR/LSU

16 48 New England Patriots (f/ Oak) Harrison Smith - S/Notre Dame

17 49 San Diego Chargers Vinny Curry - DE/Marshall

18 50 Chicago Bears Orson Charles - TE/Georgia

19 51 Philadelphia Eagles (f/ Ari) Kirk Cousins - QB/Michigan State

20 52 Tennessee Titans Trumaine Johnson - CB/Montana

21 53 Cincinnati Bengals Kevin Zeitler - OG/Wisconsin

22 54 Detroit Lions Bobby Massie - OT/Ole Miss

23 55 Atlanta Falcons Mychal Kendricks - LB/California

24 56 Pittsburgh Steelers Devon Still - DT/Penn State

25 57 Denver Broncos Brock Osweiler - QB/Arizona State

26 58 New England Patriots (f/ Hou) Brandon Thompson - DT/Clemson

27 ** Selection Forfeitted **

28 59 Green Bay Packers Brandon Taylor - S/LSU

29 60 Baltimore Ravens Lamar Miller - RB/Miami

30 61 San Francisco 49ers Brandon Brooks - OG/Miami (OH)

31 62 New England Patriots Jayron Hosley - CB/Virginia Tech

32 63 New York Giants Zach Brown - LB/North Carolina

favorite player in this draft, hope we land him!!!!

I think that Buddy has shown that he agrees with your philosophy of player ability > best fit > team need, at least for the first round. That's why he took Spiller instead of Bulaga in 2010 even though we had very little need for RB.

Spiller... Ability 9, Fit 4, Team Need 1: 9>4>1

With that logic, I don't see how you can see the Bills selecting Martin.

Martin... Ability 6, Fit 7, Team need 9: 6<7<9

Wouldn't Coples or Barron make more sense with that logic?

Coples... Ability 8, Fit 6, Need 2

Barron... Ability 9, Fit 7, Need 4

Edited by BuckeyeBill

I think that Buddy has shown that he agrees with your philosophy of player ability > best fit > team need, at least for the first round. That's why he took Spiller instead of Bulaga in 2010 even though we had very little need for RB.

Spiller... Ability 9, Fit 4, Team Need 1: 9>4>1

With that logic, I don't see how you can see the Bills selecting Martin.

Martin... Ability 6, Fit 7, Team need 9: 6<7<9

Wouldn't Coples or Barron make more sense with that logic?

Coples... Ability 8, Fit 6, Need 2

Barron... Ability 9, Fit 7, Need 4

Only if you're assuming that Buddy has those players graded the same as you do...I don't think that's the case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.