Blackmon or Kalil ?

If this were to happen as Buddy Nix stated it would be a "no brainer"

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

IMHO it would be Blackmon and I have been beating the drum for franchise LT for ages, much like my friend Bill in NYC

Who would You draft???

Oh and Greg Cosell works for NFL films and is well respected in the league

Edited by LancasterSteve

I saw this mock....and my first thought was...you know... "all the guy does is watch film. He could be right. And, I hope he is. Why wouldn't we want to be sitting there at 10 with that choice?".

Then, I thought, "all the guy does is watch film". He doesn't coach players, have to pay players, have to manage them, play with them, or fit them into a gameplan. (I'm not a big fan of trying to fit players into a scheme, rather than designing a scheme around players, but, you have to start somewhere.)

So, I dunno. If all you consider is film, not character, not team needs, etc., it's interesting...but I don't see how it's much use as a prediction tool. Not that prediction is more important than interesting for fans.

I saw this mock....and my first thought was...you know... "all the guy does is watch film. He could be right. And, I hope he is. Why wouldn't we want to be sitting there at 10 with that choice?".

Then, I thought, "all the guy does is watch film". He doesn't coach players, have to pay players, have to manage them, play with them, or fit them into a gameplan. (I'm not a big fan of trying to fit players into a scheme, rather than designing a scheme around players, but, you have to start somewhere.)

So, I dunno. If all you consider is film, not character, not team needs, etc., it's interesting...but I don't see how it's much use as a prediction tool. Not that prediction is more important than interesting for fans.

This draft is interesting, but it doesn't take into account trade-downs... if one or both of these guys were still around approaching our pick, both the Jags (#7) and Panthers (#9) would be candidates to trade back and someone would jump in front of us to grab them... bummer

If that is the choice, then Buddy can either run to the podium to pick Blackmon or fall in with the Browns (Adrian Peterson) and the Fins (Matt Ryan) who also passed on game changers to pick an LT in the top 10.

Is this a serious thread or a gag?

Yep interesting and Cosell's take is as good as anyones guess. As far as just watching tape bit; you know GM's used to ask this guys opinion and all he did was watch tape after tape from his NYC flat. IMO he was one of the best ever. His name was Joel Bushbaum.

Edited by LancasterSteve

If that is the choice, then Buddy can either run to the podium to pick Blackmon or fall in with the Browns (Adrian Peterson) and the Fins (Matt Ryan) who also passed on game changers to pick an LT in the top 10.

Is this a serious thread or a gag?

No gag intended but "serious" sounds like such a downer. This is after all what many including me refer to as "The Silly Season" GM's scouts, draft plundits say this or that and the whole world bounces and the Stadium Wall goes into meltdown.

Just a sidebar Buddy Nix is just as good at muddying the waters as the best of them. As he told me once "I like to stretch the truth at times" with his broad smile beaming.

If both players were to be available at 10, which is highly unlikely that BOTH are available, you take Kalil and don't look back. Blackmon is a great WR, but we have some depth at WR yet definitely need more, and we have an asset in Easley we have yet to truly know what he can contribute if at all, but WR is a deep position this year and can be filled very well in the 2nd Round. I know everybody has their favorites, but in this particular and limited scenario, you get the LT to block the blind-side for the next decade and count yourself fortunate....the question is simply this: what is the difference between Kalil and the next rated LT and the difference between Blackmon and the next rated WR?? If, and I certainly would, you come to the conclusion that the disparity between talent and NFL readiness between Kalil and the next rated LT and Blackmon and the next rated WR is greater for the LT position, you have a logical and objective answer....at least IMO....

If this were to happen as Buddy Nix stated it would be a "no brainer"

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

IMHO it would be Blackmon and I have been beating the drum for franchise LT for ages, much like my friend Bill in NYC

Who would You draft???

Oh and Greg Cosell works for NFL films and is well respected in the league

Kalil, love blackmon, but is only legit LT in the draft, are other receivers.

Two weeks ago, the idea that either of these guys would be available at #7 was absolutely insane.

But only a couple days away, it's actually plausible.

- I've been inclined to think the Vikings are bluffing in hopes of a trade down. But their statement that "we play Aaron Rodgers, Matthews Stafford and Jay Cutler six times every season" is actually a legitimate reason to take Morris Claiborne instead.

- If Minnesota takes Claiborne and Cleveland takes Richardson, that leaves the Bucs with a dilemma. They very likely could take the BPA in Kalil even though he isn't their biggest need. Or they could trade the pick to someone that takes him. But it's not crazy to think they reach for a bigger need like Luke Kuechly. Or a trading partner could move in for Fletcher Cox/Ryan Tannehill.

Would it really be a huge stretch to see the draft go like this?

1 - Luck

2 - Griffin

3 - Claiborne

4 - Richardson

5 - Kuechly

6 - Cox

7 - Gilmore

8 - Tannehill

9 - Brockers

If I didn't have such a man crush on Blackmon, i'd say kalil for sure. But that's not the case. I love blackmons game and is the guy I'd pick if we had the 3rd pick in the draft. If either one falls to us, we'd be extremely lucky.

Two weeks ago, the idea that either of these guys would be available at #7 was absolutely insane.

But only a couple days away, it's actually plausible.

- I've been inclined to think the Vikings are bluffing in hopes of a trade down. But their statement that "we play Aaron Rodgers, Matthews Stafford and Jay Cutler six times every season" is actually a legitimate reason to take Morris Claiborne instead.

- If Minnesota takes Claiborne and Cleveland takes Richardson, that leaves the Bucs with a dilemma. They very likely could take the BPA in Kalil even though he isn't their biggest need. Or they could trade the pick to someone that takes him. But it's not crazy to think they reach for a bigger need like Luke Kuechly. Or a trading partner could move in for Fletcher Cox/Ryan Tannehill.

Would it really be a huge stretch to see the draft go like this?

1 - Luck

2 - Griffin

3 - Claiborne

4 - Richardson

5 - Kuechly

6 - Cox

7 - Gilmore

8 - Tannehill

9 - Brockers

If this happens, the Bills card with Kalil's name on it will be read within 2 minutes of being told the Bills are on the clock...Hope it happens!