Kickoff rule

I've played, I know exactly how safe (or unsafe) kickoffs are. That's why people are attracted to the sport, it's unsafe. It's violent. The strongest survives. Our largest, strongest, fastest Gladiators in a physical battle.

If the leaders want to evolve the game into 90% elegantly choreographed pass plays, where you can't hit the QB or WR, then that is their choice. And I can spend my time (and money) on something else.

In the 1870s and 1880s, a number of Americans became very involved in "football." American football of the 1800s was not like it is today. There was no forward passing, for example. The sport they played back then had more in common with rugby than with modern era football.

Young American men had spent the early 1860s fighting each other in the Civil War. Football provided a way for them to keep fighting each other, and with much less risk of getting killed than was associated with the Civil War. But for some, "less likely to kill you than fighting in the Civil War" was not quite safe enough.

In the early 1900s, the NCAA drastically modified football's rules. Forward passing was allowed, the shape of the ball was changed, etc. Old school football people were not happy about this! Despite these changes, the game continued to serve its core purpose: it provided a non-lethal substitute for war. All the virtues of a warrior are rewarded on a football field: toughness, decisiveness, strength of will, strategy and tactics, a strong bond between teammates/fellow soldiers.

The question then becomes: what core features does football need to retain so that it can continue to serve as a non-lethal substitute for war? Is it possible to retain these core features while greatly reducing the incidence of head trauma and concussions?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 1870s and 1880s, a number of Americans became very involved in "football." American football of the 1800s was not like it is today. There was no forward passing, for example. The sport they played back then had more in common with rugby than with modern era football.

Young American men had spent the early 1860s fighting each other in the Civil War. Football provided a way for them to keep fighting each other, and with much less risk of getting killed than was associated with the Civil War. But for some, "less likely to kill you than fighting in the Civil War" was not quite safe enough.

In the early 1900s, the NCAA drastically modified football's rules. Forward passing was allowed, the shape of the ball was changed, etc. Old school football people were not happy about this! Despite these changes, the game continued to serve its core purpose: it provided a non-lethal substitute for war. All the virtues of a warrior are rewarded on a football field: toughness, decisiveness, strength of will, strategy and tactics, a strong bond between teammates/fellow soldiers.

The question then becomes: what core features does football need to retain so that it can continue to serve as a non-lethal substitute for war? Is it possible to retain these core features while greatly reducing the incidence of head trauma and concussions?

How many old school football people from the early 1900s did you interview for this piece?

The game is called "football". That means at some point you are supposed to kick the ball. I don't think that just punts, extra points and field goal attempts qualify the game to be called football. If they take away the kickoff, maybe they should think of a new name for the game.

And they will continue to collect record profits while avoiding billion dollar lawsuits and still funneling the best athletes into their sport at a young age. Blame lawyers, blame the legal system, but don't be a caveman and pretend the sport can exist in this society long term as is. You can still tackle, many of the biggest hits you've ever seen are still legal. People have been saying exactly what you posted for decades. The games gotten bigger, more exciting, and ratings have skyrocketed. they could put dresses on them and we'd still line up to see 6-4 men race down the field at a 4.3 40 to fight for a jump ball without losing their flags. No one EVER wants to see a guy laying motionless, everyone and their grandma wants to see randy miss out jump a db

And what the nfl hears you saying is "the biggest international sport in the world."

Don't love it, but I've come to accept the evolution.

I like football for the big hits. Watching Randy Moss jump is ok, but Id rather see him get drilled on the way back down and have the ball jarred loose. Football is a contact sport, we watch it for the contact. If not, I could already watch baseball or basketball.

"You can still tackle"... for now, is how that sentence should end. "Many of the biggest hits you've ever seen are still legal"... for now. It's only a matter of time then until those are removed too. The game has been skyrocketing through the 90s and 00s, but these major rule changes and shifts in culture are all very recent. We dont know what this will do to the fan base.

Speak for yourself, but I am NOT watching men race down field for a jumpball in flag football. That's basketball.

Lastly, Soccer is the "biggest international sport" because anyone can play it, and it's been around forever. Even poverty riddled areas. All you need is a ball (made of a twine or whatever you have laying around) and an open field, and go kick it around. It's a simple game that has been relatively unchanged for decades. If you think changing the game of American Football to resemble Soccer is a good business plan, you might want to check out how long soccer fans have been trying to establish "futbol" in this country.

While you and I are usually on the same page, we'll simply have to agree to disagree on this since we are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. It's just my one-man opinion, but if the NFL wants to go this route, I'll find something else to watch.

Edited by DrDareustein

Even with the new rules there are still players getting hurt on kickoffs. I think in order to completely eliminate kickoff injuries they should roll out onto the field an official vibrating football game and simulate the kickoff. "He's at the 5, the 10, OH! he's stuck in a spin! He's at the 9, the 10, the 9... We'll be right back after a message from our sponsors."

I like football for the big hits. Watching Randy Moss jump is ok, but Id rather see him get drilled on the way back down and have the ball jarred loose. Football is a contact sport, we watch it for the contact. If not, I could already watch baseball or basketball.

"You can still tackle"... for now, is how that sentence should end. "Many of the biggest hits you've ever seen are still legal"... for now. It's only a matter of time then until those are removed too. The game has been skyrocketing through the 90s and 00s, but these major rule changes and shifts in culture are all very recent. We dont know what this will do to the fan base.

Speak for yourself, but I am NOT watching men race down field for a jumpball in flag football. That's basketball.

Lastly, Soccer is the "biggest international sport" because anyone can play it, and it's been around forever. Even poverty riddled areas. All you need is a ball (made of a twine or whatever you have laying around) and an open field, and go kick it around. It's a simple game that has been relatively unchanged for decades. If you think changing the game of American Football to resemble Soccer is a good business plan, you might want to check out how long soccer fans have been trying to establish "futbol" in this country.

While you and I are usually on the same page, we'll simply have to agree to disagree on this since we are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum. It's just my one-man opinion, but if the NFL wants to go this route, I'll find something else to watch.

as a fan, i agree and enjoy the game as is. i dont WANT the nfl to eliminate kickoffs, but i think id get it if they do, or if they changed them (what i think is more likely is some more evolution in blocking rules, and coverage rules). a few of my comments were certainly hyperbole and others were what i think the nfl is thinking, but i do stand by the fact that fans have been saying for years that "the next change is the last one," and simply put - they are lying to themselves. heck, here we are after all those changes and over a decade of BAD football, and many here hardly go a day without it. eventually it may not be a sport you are interested in but i think that crazy changes that make you not recognize the game arent on the agenda. every year fans come on here and draw the line in the sand, and every year the nfl gets bigger. theres obviously a tipping point, but i think we are still far from it.

im not directing this at you personally, but whether it was putting helmets on players, pushing the forward pass, taking out the clothesline, protecting defenseless players -- the truth is the game has been evolving and changing for a century. its silly to think its going to stop now, at this arbitrary point in its history.

changing the kick off and altering the way players can hit wont take away anyones hometown pride, it wont spoil the memories of watching the game with dad, or son, it wont stop you from throwing a pigskin in the parking lot on sunday mornings --- the thing that i think is going to get that kind of pushback is moving games international, honestly. the day a superbowl is announced in london will be when i think you see fans push back. rule changes i dont think will effect people at the core emotional level that many connect with the game - between that and PSL's - i dont think you can take away the average fans access to the live game. of course thats just my opinion on a global level. no harm, no foul if we disagree (if we do, its on how far we think the nfl plans to go on this course), but honestly i dont think we are actually THAT far removed in our opinions of where the game should go.

Edited by NoSaint

Even with the new rules there are still players getting hurt on kickoffs. I think in order to completely eliminate kickoff injuries they should roll out onto the field an official vibrating football game and simulate the kickoff. "He's at the 5, the 10, OH! he's stuck in a spin! He's at the 9, the 10, the 9... We'll be right back after a message from our sponsors."

It is impossible to complete a pass in tabletop football