Troubleshooting Dryer Issues

sullim4

So I disconnected the back of the dryer last night, reached my hand into the vent, and pulled out 3 fistfulls of lint. It's looking more and more like a blockage - it makes me wonder how much is stuck to the sides of the duct as it goes into the attic.

I'm wondering though if it's my dryer not properly catching lint (the trap is flimsy - it uses felt around the sides to seat itself in the dryer and never seems to catch anything), or if the guys that cleaned out my vent just did a piss poor job. The reason I say that is because when I disconnected my dryer from the venting and turned it on to check air pressure, it spewed out a few clumps of lint.

In any case, I'll likely need to get the vents cleaned again. That do-it-yourself system with the drill looks promising.

So I disconnected the back of the dryer last night, reached my hand into the vent, and pulled out 3 fistfulls of lint. It's looking more and more like a blockage - it makes me wonder how much is stuck to the sides of the duct as it goes into the attic.

I'm wondering though if it's my dryer not properly catching lint (the trap is flimsy - it uses felt around the sides to seat itself in the dryer and never seems to catch anything), or if the guys that cleaned out my vent just did a piss poor job. The reason I say that is because when I disconnected my dryer from the venting and turned it on to check air pressure, it spewed out a few clumps of lint.

In any case, I'll likely need to get the vents cleaned again. That do-it-yourself system with the drill looks promising.

Even with the lint trap, you still get more lint then you think passing through it. Think about you linttrap on your washing machine and how much that prevents from clogging you drain.

I have a 13 year old Kenmore dryer that I inherited from the previous owners of my townhouse. I am having issues with it drying clothes in a timely manner.

I've tried the usual troubleshooting steps - the HOA just cleaned the outside vent two weeks ago. I also had the guy come in and clean out the dryer for a few bucks, and I just replaced the old, excessively long exhaust vent with a new rigid vent.

However, it is still taking hours to clean a full load. The dryer is heating up without any issue. One peculiar thing is that the lint trap is only ever dirty in one small corner - all the lint congregates there and is never spread throughout the trap.

Before I spend money on sending someone out to look at it, or just replacing it given its age, does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?

Generally speaking, the shorter the vent the faster the drying will occur. Also rigid, flexible venting, although easier to work with, reduces air flow and over time will build up lint. The shortest and straightest vent is the best way to go.