Gil Brandt Updated Top 100 Prospects

I just give the guy the respect that I think he's earned over his career.

But I question how diligent he is about player evaluation these days.

He doesn't have to be diligent. There's probably 50-100 scouts out there who worked for Brandt. He just makes calls. Knows the questions to ask and makes a list.

The entertaining thing about Brandt is hearing him call out picks (accurately) before they are made on draft day.

I would take Floyd over Blackmon. One NFL scout I spoke with (with a top 4 pick) was not very high on the Oklahoma State wide receiver. He believes he will not be a #1 and does not pocess the physical skills of top NFL receiever.

Brandt is way overrated and rests on his laurels from days gone by. He didn't even have Brock Osweiler in his top 100 a month ago now he is #35. Two months ago he had Vontaze Burfict his #22 ranked player, Alshon Jeffery #9 and Zac Brown #10. Jeffery and Brown are now 2nd rounders and Burfict off the list. When you have dramatic changes in the list, to me, that is a big red flag that this guy doesn't really know the players in and out. It's not too hard to look at the million or so rankings out there and formulate your own list of names. He sits and watches prospects at the combine and talks to scouts and other personnel people to come up with his updated list. To me this says more about his ability to gather together opinions rather than truly being an idependent minded scout, so to speak.

That being said, I still like to read his later lists because I think it represents a general consensus of a number of fairly good talent evaluators.

Brandt is overrated? Along with Tex Schramm, he turned the Cowboys into perennial winners. He's got 30 years of experience scouting for an NFL team. He's forgotten more about player evaluation than you or I will ever know.

Of course players have moved up and down on his list. Back in his NFL days, Gil had a team of scouts working for him. Now he does all his work on his own. As he continues to watch tape and talk to scouts, he reevaluates players. Some move up, some move down.

Tell me another draft guru who can claim on his resume that he built a Super Bowl team?

I think its very telling that the BIlls have yet to bring in Floyd for a visit, and don't appear to have him coming in at all in the upcoming weeks.

I honestly think he's off the Bills draft board due to the alcohol issues.

I don't think this means anything. The Bills attended the Notre Dame Pro day in force. No need to bring him in seperately.

I don't understand the talk of Blackmon's height. Yes he is not 6'4" but some of the best WRs of all-time have been in the 6 to 6-2 range.

He's still being ranked as a top 10 player in the coming draft. But if he and Floyd's production and skills are similar I'll take the bigger & taller player.

Brandt is overrated? Along with Tex Schramm, he turned the Cowboys into perennial winners. He's got 30 years of experience scouting for an NFL team. He's forgotten more about player evaluation than you or I will ever know.

Of course players have moved up and down on his list. Back in his NFL days, Gil had a team of scouts working for him. Now he does all his work on his own. As he continues to watch tape and talk to scouts, he reevaluates players. Some move up, some move down.

Tell me another draft guru who can claim on his resume that he built a Super Bowl team?

WELL SAID! I couldn't agree more... Gil Brandt and Tex Schramm were the epitome of what a FO is all about... They didn't get to be "America's Team" for nothing... And the fact that he is the ONLY Guru who has won a Super Bowl says it all...

He's still being ranked as a top 10 player in the coming draft. But if he and Floyd's production and skills are similar I'll take the bigger & taller player.

I wouldn't mind selecting Floyd. I just don't think their production is all the similar (now of course there is a ton that goes into that, like QB). If Blackmon was on the board (somehow) and we passed on him for Floyd I wouldn't be thrilled. Of course I'm just a Joe Schmo but I really don't see Blackmon as being much of a risk.

Apparently Brandt was at the center of a recent difference in opinions (previous to the release of this latest Top 100 list) where Brandt said that Brock Osweiler would be a first rounder and Mike Lombardi and Charlie Casserly both strongly disagreed.

Anyways on this list, Brandt has Osweiler at #35, right behind Brandon Weeden and Kirk Cousins.

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

3. Matt Kalil, OT, USC

4. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

5. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

6. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

7. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

8. Melvin Ingram, OLB/DE, South Carolina

9. Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

10. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

11. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

12. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

13. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

14. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

15. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

http://www.nfl.com/d...HP11_hot_topics

If he's correct, then the cupboard looks pretty full at #10.

I say Dre Kirkpatrick at 10. CB is our biggest need. Florence & Mckelvin have shown some regression, Mcgee's injuries, & Aaron Williams is best used covering the slot. We need to strengthen this position to play dangerous teams in the spread such as New England.

We are not as hard up for a starting LT as some "experts" think. Chris Hairston would be picked a lot higher in this years draft as compared to last years. He gained experience last year through 7 starts. I believe he started against the Giants, Jets(2), Dolphins, Patriots, Titans, & Broncos. If thats correct he gained some experience against some really good NFL d-lines. I say draft tackles later and the draft, build depth, and let Hairston work toward becoming the starter.