If You Ever Go Scuba Diving...

ajzepp

...PLEASE remember to use the buddy system and take it seriously. I have never been diving, and I know very little about it, but I just got a text that my former manager is presumed dead after going missing in Mexico. She and her spouse were on some charter with a group of other American tourists, and apparently she was taken by a strong current. There are conflicting reports of what happened, but it was suggested to me by an experienced diver that there seemed to be a failure of the buddy system here, as she went unnoticed once she indicated she was returning to the surface. So please, fellow TBD brothers and sisters, be careful.

Article

...PLEASE remember to use the buddy system and take it seriously. I have never been diving, and I know very little about it, but I just got a text that my former manager is presumed dead after going missing in Mexico. She and her spouse were on some charter with a group of other American tourists, and apparently she was taken by a strong current. There are conflicting reports of what happened, but it was suggested to me by an experienced diver that there seemed to be a failure of the buddy system here, as she went unnoticed once she indicated she was returning to the surface. So please, fellow TBD brothers and sisters, be careful.

Article

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Does this mean I need a buddy when I fill the tub up? If so, can I borrow Lana?

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Does this mean I need a buddy when I fill the tub up? If so, can I borrow Lana?

Of course! I just hope you don't mind rumbling bubbles :ph34r:

Article

If it was a failure of the buddy system, that's hardly an encouragement to use said system, is it?

(Sounds more like an unfortunate accident to me...she got caught and swept away in the couple moments her husband took her eyes off her. But then, I don't dive, so what to I know.)

If it was a failure of the buddy system, that's hardly an encouragement to use said system, is it?

(Sounds more like an unfortunate accident to me...she got caught and swept away in the couple moments her husband took her eyes off her. But then, I don't dive, so what to I know.)

I found the report being discussed on a diving forum, and someone had found the equivalent of the police report from Mexico...it had some conflicting information/accounts, and someone had postulated that if her buddy had been paying attention, it's more likely this could have been avoided. The translation was choppy, but the diving master or whatever apparently saw that she was wanting to surface from her dive about 10 mins into it, but then failed to account for her from there. My work comp isn't cooperating, but will try to post the excerpt when I get home.

I dunno what happend...just be careful dammit

I found the report being discussed on a diving forum, and someone had found the equivalent of the police report from Mexico...it had some conflicting information/accounts, and someone had postulated that if her buddy had been paying attention, it's more likely this could have been avoided. The translation was choppy, but the diving master or whatever apparently saw that she was wanting to surface from her dive about 10 mins into it, but then failed to account for her from there. My work comp isn't cooperating, but will try to post the excerpt when I get home.

I dunno what happend...just be careful dammit

There is definitely something missing from this story. Unless she was an incredibly weak swimmer, this isn't making any sense.

I've been diving for thirty years and rarely if ever trust any gear other than my own. She may have had an equipment malfunction due to poorly maintained equipment. I had a regulator start drawing water one time and had to go to my second regulator. O rings go on occaision also

There is definitely something missing from this story. Unless she was an incredibly weak swimmer, this isn't making any sense.

I agree. You have to be a strong swimmer just to get certified. I know I failed my first go around. I was out of shape and the guy (who was actually pretty cool about it) said, "Nope. I know it's hard, but you have to be able to do this or you're not diving." By the time I was certified, I was in shape - good shape. If you're not in shape, you'll blow through your tank way too fast and need to surface before the rest of your group.

Maybe she was passed through w/o regard. Totally possible when you're certified by a dive shop that makes its money on selling you equipment.

Currents? I supposed that's possible, but unlikely.

Article

AJ as a certified diver I couldn't agree with you more. On a recent cruise my wife and I were snorkeling when she swam back to the beach while I was exploring. I was livid and let her know how angry I was when I got back to the beach. I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker.

AJ as a certified diver I couldn't agree with you more. On a recent cruise my wife and I were snorkeling when she swam back to the beach while I was exploring. I was livid and let her know how angry I was when I got back to the beach. I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker.

I always assumed that scuba diving was just a relaxed, peaceful experience in the water...looking at the fishies...but I guess the potential for danger is much more serious than I ever gave it credit for.

Apparently you didn't get certified in the Caribbean; they'll give you a 20 minute lesson, and send you out.

By the way, one of the worst stories I've heard was of a couple on a honeymoon. The girl was on the beach; the guy was out diving. He got his foot caught in something and never came up. Pretty sad.

I've heard those stories. Diving is serious business. You and your buddy need to touch each other at least every 30 seconds or so. That's how I was taught. Our guy said, "Hey, if you're not pointing out something cool in that interval, you're diving in a boring place anyway."

Also, I have an irrational fear of dying poorly. That's me.

Article

Wow. That's pretty shocking. Sorry about that.

I'm a casual diver and have dived in that area. Something does not add up with that story. A dive master would have been more aggressive with assisting Cassin if she wanted to end her dive. Also, she could have inflated her buoyancy compensator to deal with a downward current. Although that could be risky in rising to fast. But turning to signal the divemaster and turning back nobody goes that far away that fast. if she rose to the surface you can inflate your jacket and float for days.

I'm a casual diver and have dived in that area. Something does not add up with that story. A dive master would have been more aggressive with assisting Cassin if she wanted to end her dive. Also, she could have inflated her buoyancy compensator to deal with a downward current. Although that could be risky in rising to fast. But turning to signal the divemaster and turning back nobody goes that far away that fast. if she rose to the surface you can inflate your jacket and float for days.

I think that's why the folks on the diving message board I saw were having issues with this story, as well...wish I could find that stupid link...

I don't know how legit this is, but it appears to have two accounts of other divers, one who was in the same group and one who was in the same area: http://www.divetalking.com/?p=6047

Edited by ajzepp

i'm not so sure. i did one of the 20 minute training dives in jamaica. spent that time in a pool learning how to put the equipment on and the next thing was at the bottom of the sea 30 feet down. i quickly realized that i didn't know what i was doing and got anxious. started stacking breaths (i don't know if thats what divers call it)- taking more air in than out so there wasn't enough volume in my lungs to take full breaths. i pointed to the dive master to go up but he ignored me (guess he didn't want to spoil the dive for the other divers). eventually i calmed down and was ok but will never dive again. there's a reason why life insurance excludes diving.

I think that's why the folks on the diving message board I saw were having issues with this story, as well...wish I could find that stupid link...

I don't know how legit this is, but it appears to have two accounts of other divers, one who was in the same group and one who was in the same area: http://www.divetalking.com/?p=6047

They must have been diving without buoyancy compensators, because if you inflate your jacket, your rising to the surface like a rocket. No mention of the depth they were at as well. Not to mention you can drop your weight belt if you feel your going down to far to fast.