Fans have to start taking Nix at his word

Estro

Look, so far Nix has blown very little smoke the last 2 years when it's come to discussing the Bills draft plans. Until that changes I'm going to take what Nix says in these candid interviews as his "true" feelings/thoughts. And the most candid of those interviews came early last week when he was interviewed by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on Sirius NFL Radio. Buddy was actually so transparent in the interview that Kirwan had to say "Alright Buddy don't tell us the actual names of the guys you're talking about" while Buddy was discussing the OT talent in the draft pool.

So let's take a look at what Buddy Nix said, because to me it told a lot.

Buddy's Quote

"We think there are 2 "maybe" 3 tackles in this draft that can come in and play right away"

Translation

There is definitely 2, possibly 3 OT's in this years draft that have the talent to be the #10 pick.

Buddy's Quote

"We also think there are some OT's that can be had later that can probably be starters a year or 2 down the line.

Translation

There are some guys we have our eyes on a little later in the draft.(Andrew Datko, from FSU perhaps)

Buddy's Quote

"We view some of the these offensive lineman different than the rest of you guys do"

Translation

We think Cordy Glenn is a starting LT in the NFL, not just a G as some of the draft pundits have stated.

We don't think Reiff is a starting LT in this league. With his short arms and lack of athleticism and speed he's a RT.

My gut feeling is this:

The 2 Tackles that Buddy thinks can start Day 1 are: Matt Kalil and Cordy Glenn, who probably stack #1 and #2 on the Bills board.

The "maybe" 3rd tackle would probably be: Either Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin (again I just don't think Reiff is a LT, and he doesn't fit the big mauler athletic type that Buddy covets). Martin or Adams would probably be a target if we were to trade down a bit. In the end I think we stand pat at #10 and select Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia.

The Bills develop Glenn as a LT and he and Hairston battle it out in camp. If Hairston wins the job we at worst have a dominant G, who's ready to play T if needed. With the contracts of LeVitre, Urbik and Rhinehart all expiring after the 2012 season having a T who can also play G is a huge plus. Obviously the Bills will work hard to resign 2 of the above 3 G's prior to next years FA, but adding Glenn to the mix will be a big plus for our OL situation. I also believe the Bills will pick up another OT in the draft with one of our additonal 4th or 5th round picks. Glenn will be groomed as our future LT, with great potential at G if Hairston holds it down, and the T picked up in the middle rounds will be groomed as a swing backup tackle, with starter potential at RT down the line.

For anyone who argues that DeCastro should be the pick at #10.......just remember what Buddy is on record as saying:

Buddy's Quote:

"Our philosophy is to draft T's. It's a lot easier for guys to move outside in, than vice versa. We think if we draft T's that we'll be pretty good at G and C."

Translation:

As an organization our philosphy is to target T prospects in the draft. If they don't work out there, they have a good shot at success at either G or C. We won't select G or C prospects with high picks, because if they don't pan out at the only position they can play than they're out of the league. G's, C's are not drafted with high picks in the draft.

You might be extrapolating a little bit of the information too much by suggesting Nix is absolutely sold on Glenn. But I whole-heartedly agree that Nix has been true to his word thus far and therefore we don't need to read too much into what he's thinking regarding players, either FA or Draft...and I think his plans for DE are sufficiently revealed...if a DE is there in the 4th or 5th I wouldn't be surprised to see the BILLS get one, but I would be moderately surprised if the BILLS Draft one prior to the 4th round given what this team could truly use....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And my point is this (please listen from 18:22 - 18:57):

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Buddy-Nix-State-of-the-Team-Press-Conference/6e644145-3f98-4fb1-8906-fe9e6039c4df

And listen to Buddy's exact words. "It's easier to move a tackle to guard than it is guard to tackle, obviously. So we think we draft tackles, we're pretty good at guard and center"

The whole point of this thread was to point out that Buddy's been a straight shooter ever since becoming the GM. If some fans want to continue to believe that Nix is going to take David DeCastro because he's the best guard since "Steve Hutchinson" than their entitled to that belief. Personally, I'm going to listen to the words coming straight out of the GM's mouth. And remember DeCastro, just like ever other prospect, hasn't played a down in the NFL.....so any comparison to a multiple time All-Pro like Hutchinson are beyond premature.

yo also, this is so old it's not even funny. the funny thing about this whole thread is 'the words coming straight out of the GM's mouth' = around 18:20 right before you paraphrased him 'now this is just...i mean this could be an exception...you could have exceptions to this...it's much easier to move a tackle to guard obviously..etc..'

now do you think an exception might qualify as one of the best prospects at interior line in a few years???

Nix has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but to my un-trained eye Glenn isn't agile enough to handle NFL speed-rushers. He seems to lunge a lot and looks like he had just enough agility to get by playing LT in college. Don't see him as an LT in the NFL.

well i guess ppl got it (bpa) from buddy nix when he said it... multiple times. i'm sure you read buffalobills.com and watch the videos, go take a look and read/watch for yourself. weird, thought you were acting informed.

and then by your rationale on astute front offices not drafting guards, how can we be fans of say andrew luck since we're only going on expert analyses??

I've never heard Buddy say we are drafting BPA regardless of position. And I have no idea why you brought up expert analysis. Teams don't draft guards high because it isn't considered an impact position. Same with safeties. The thinking is you can easily swing a T out to G or a CB to S, but not vice-versa. Now it isn't written in concrete, and occasionally one does get drafted high (Whitner, Berry), but it isn't a smart move.

Now here's the irony - this thread is titled "Fans have to start taking Nix at his word", and even includes a quote from Nix reiterating what I just said about tackles/guards, and people still don't get it.

It's not like Nix has been lying to us all along.

im with you on taking him at his word. not with you saying rieff is this or he doesnt like this guy. we just dont know who hes talking about right now. i dont care what tackle they take. i trust hes gonna get it right. im not higher on rieff than martin,adams or cordy glenn. its kinda like you stretched to fit glenn in and rieff out tho. i liked glenn at guard but just dont know about him at LT right now. maybe tho

Look, so far Nix has blown very little smoke the last 2 years when it's come to discussing the Bills draft plans. Until that changes I'm going to take what Nix says in these candid interviews as his "true" feelings/thoughts. And the most candid of those interviews came early last week when he was interviewed by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on Sirius NFL Radio. Buddy was actually so transparent in the interview that Kirwan had to say "Alright Buddy don't tell us the actual names of the guys you're talking about" while Buddy was discussing the OT talent in the draft pool.

Buddy's Quote

"We think there are 2 "maybe" 3 tackles in this draft that can come in and play right away"

Translation

There is definitely 2, possibly 3 OT's in this years draft that have the talent to be the #10 pick.

Buddy's Quote

"We also think there are some OT's that can be had later that can probably be starters a year or 2 down the line.

Translation

There are some guys we have our eyes on a little later in the draft.(Andrew Datko, from FSU perhaps)

Buddy's Quote

"We view some of the these offensive lineman different than the rest of you guys do"

Translation

We think Cordy Glenn is a starting LT in the NFL, not just a G as some of the draft pundits have stated.

We don't think Reiff is a starting LT in this league. With his short arms and lack of athleticism and speed he's a RT.

My gut feeling is this:

The 2 Tackles that Buddy thinks can start Day 1 are: Matt Kalil and Cordy Glenn, who probably stack #1 and #2 on the Bills board.

The "maybe" 3rd tackle would probably be: Either Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin (again I just don't think Reiff is a LT, and he doesn't fit the big mauler athletic type that Buddy covets). Martin or Adams would probably be a target if we were to trade down a bit. In the end I think we stand pat at #10 and select Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia.

The Bills develop Glenn as a LT and he and Hairston battle it out in camp. If Hairston wins the job we at worst have a dominant G, who's ready to play T if needed. With the contracts of LeVitre, Urbik and Rhinehart all expiring after the 2012 season having a T who can also play G is a huge plus. Obviously the Bills will work hard to resign 2 of the above 3 G's prior to next years FA, but adding Glenn to the mix will be a big plus for our OL situation. I also believe the Bills will pick up another OT in the draft with one of our additonal 4th or 5th round picks. Glenn will be groomed as our future LT, with great potential at G if Hairston holds it down, and the T picked up in the middle rounds will be groomed as a swing backup tackle, with starter potential at RT down the line.

For anyone who argues that DeCastro should be the pick at #10.......just remember what Buddy is on record as saying:

Buddy's Quote:

"Our philosophy is to draft T's. It's a lot easier for guys to move outside in, than vice versa. We think if we draft T's that we'll be pretty good at G and C."

Translation:

As an organization our philosphy is to target T prospects in the draft. If they don't work out there, they have a good shot at success at either G or C. We won't select G or C prospects with high picks, because if they don't pan out at the only position they can play than they're out of the league. G's, C's are not drafted with high picks in the draft.

I know you're trying to read between the lines but I think you hit very close to the mark. Your interpretation of Nix's collected comments is essentially the exact same as mine.

I agree with your overall point: that Buffalo will draft a tackle early (if not at No. 10 overall).

I do, however, have some doubts about Glenn at LT. From the 3-4 games I saw this year, he looked really good in the run game, and mostly solid in pass protection, but I did notice that he struggled with speed rushes, and also that he let opposing DE's get their hands inside his body all to often for a guy with such long arms. Maybe some of that is inexperience that can be coached up, but maybe not.

I also think that he'd need to drop 15-20 lbs to be effective with NFL speed rushers, especially the Cameron Wake type guys he'd be facing twice each year.

That said, if Nix thinks he's the guy, I trust him.

Excited for the draft though.

I like Glenn a lot and have said that I wouldn't mind him being the pick at #10. For a guy who played only one season at tackle and to make all SEC… I was very impressed with his work against LSU. That was a great defense he played against and he was one of the best players on the field.

And after looking at Glenn more, most have him pegged as a guard in the nfl..:

If you're talking about the regurgitated, recycled, opinions that pass for "scouting reports" these days, then maybe you're onto something. I'd bet that at least 75% of the player evaluations out there are written by people who haven't watched so much as a single play on videotape of the player they are supposedly "scouting."

yo also, this is so old it's not even funny. the funny thing about this whole thread is 'the words coming straight out of the GM's mouth' = around 18:20 right before you paraphrased him 'now this is just...i mean this could be an exception...you could have exceptions to this...it's much easier to move a tackle to guard obviously..etc..'

now do you think an exception might qualify as one of the best prospects at interior line in a few years???

Take it easy, Kenny. The draft is 3 weeks from tomorrow.

But for the record, I don't think the Bills will draft DeCastro.

Buddy's Quote

Translation

Buddy's Quote

Translation

Buddy's Quote

Translation

My gut feeling is this:

Buddy's Quote:

Translation:

Not sure who you can say he likes but think Glenn would be a great pick and view him as a Marcus McNeil type player who we would love to have minus the injuries.

I like Glenn a lot and have said that I wouldn't mind him being the pick at #10. For a guy who played only one season at tackle and to make all SEC… I was very impressed with his work against LSU. That was a great defense he played against and he was one of the best players on the field.

Unfortunately, I did not get to watch the LSU game, so I'll have to take your word on that one.

I remember being very impressed with Glenn's performance against both Florida and Tennessee, but not so much against Boise State and Miss State. Of course, those games were earlier on in the season, which to me says he improved throughout the year, so that's something.

As I said, I really like Glenn's potential as an NFL lineman, I just think he'd need to drop 15-20 lbs to play LT, and even at that I'm not convinced that he'd do okay out there. However, if Nix is convinced, then I'm on board.

After a lot of consideration, (and re-consideration) It's becoming obvious that Cordy Glenn may be the best LT prospect in this draft. He's certainly better than Reiff, baggage or no baggage. I wouldn't be completely disappointed if we took him @ 10. IMHO There could be a problem with him holding at the next level, but I'd expect that to be ironed out in training camp. My personal favorite Tackle prospect is Boise State's Nate Potter. He doesn't possess Glenn's size, but is very instinctive, fearless, and nimble.

I could envision a compromise where we take DeCastro @ 10, and Grab Potter in a later round.

DeCastro IMO is the must-have player (if he's still there) @ 10. Watch this reel: My link Look at how much POP this kid possesses. He absolutely flattens people. An aircraft carrier could take it's time passing through the holes he creates for the run game. As an interior lineman he is both wall and battering-ram. I take Buddy at his word, but I don't pass on DeCastro @ 10. No way.

I also like Potter a lot. Not sure about DeCastro early but Potter would be a steal in the 4th. He has plenty of experience and no questions about where he will play in the NFL. Also it fits in the range of where Buddy likes to take ol.

Something else maybe people can help me out with... I remember a Buddy interview where he talked about Rieff and Martin, and while he had some knocks on Rieff all he said about Martin was good player... good player. Does anyone else remember this? I can't find the link anywhere and seem to remember it around the combine.